Centre console with cup holders

DavefromOZ

After stewing over cup holder ideas for the last couple of months, I believe I may have a solution. Its a cooler/warmer unit ($29.95 from Dick Smiths), with 2 cupholder built in. I already have power at the centre console, so that wont be a problem. Will begin looking at it this weekend, console out, start with taking out original box, then modify surround to accept this one. Width wise its the same as the centre console at the base, length its about 2" longer and height is around 1 1/2".

DSC00191.jpg

DSC00192.jpg

DSC00193.jpg

The best part is it will keep 9 cans cool (20 degrees below ambient).

Will post pics as I complete the project.

Well, I made a start, is mocked up and back in the truck, will be coming out for fibreglassing in the near future, so dont knock it for the finished look (as its not finished.)

Cut the original console so the cooler will sit lower

DSC00202.jpg

Then I made 3 brackets, 1 at the back of the original console and one toward the front of the box to ensure it stays secure (will post pics when I have it out to finish it later)

Here is view with cooler fitted to the console, it sits a little higher than I would have preferred, but again that will be fixed when it comes out for finishing

DSC00203.jpg

DSC00204.jpg

Now back in the truck, it has a switch fitted in the cetre console, I want to get an original driving light switch so it looks like it should be there.

DSC00206.jpg

DSC00207.jpg

Again, this isnt the finished product, that will follow in the not to distant future.

Edited by DavefromOZ

Does it interfere with the back seat bottoms foiding down?

DSC00208.jpg

Nope, just enough clearance (had to run down stairs to check)

Looks like a perfect fit. Good job! But I can see your seat is more forward compared to the arm rest. Would you elbows be resting on the "drinks"?

Yeah, it would rest on the cans, but I use my left arm for the steering wheel, my right one is normally hanging out the window, so it wount affect me that much. When I pull it out I might look at pushing the handbrake forward so I can move the whole console forward, I looked at it yesterday, but I couldnt be bothered playing too much.