extended warranty for older vehicles

silverlion

I just had another telemarketer tard call me trying to sell me an extended warranty for my 13yr old pathy. It does strike my intrest nonetheless. Does anyone have it/ used it? I told the guy to take me off his list and he insisted I purchase it. So, I told him to shove it up his a$$. The persistent twit still tried to talk me into it. I asked him if I need to spell it out for him. He still wanted to talk so I set the phone down and let him rap to his hearts content. He rattled on a good 4 mins before he asked if I was still there. When I didn't respond he hung up. I think it's a scam. But I think everything they sell on infomercials and telemarket annoyances are a scam. I registered all of my phones with the do not call registry. If I want to purchase a product or service, I will look it up and call myself. I despise these people burning my time away. I could be doing something far more productive like bitching about all the commercials on TV and ads I don't pay attention to on the computer. <end rant>

Does anyone have this extended warranty? Have you used it? Do you know the guy that called me? I would like to call him nightly at home at 3:00 AM and sell him a phone silencer. Bastages.

I think it's a scam. But I think everything they sell on infomercials and telemarket annoyances are a scam. I registered all of my phones with the do not call registry. If I want to purchase a product or service, I will look it up and call myself. I despise these people burning my time away.

Bingo!! I got these sometimes when the GF and I both had 1995 vehicles. I'd just laugh...

B

Every time they call, it's from a different state. I saw another commercial last night. They show a dodge mini van that needed a tranny, they say they pay 2500 bux. Another car needed an engine, they paid for it....... I think it's all B.S. I wanna see them buy an engine for my R50 @ 7 grand when the TB takes everything out.

Every time they call, it's from a different state. I saw another commercial last night. They show a dodge mini van that needed a tranny, they say they pay 2500 bux. Another car needed an engine, they paid for it....... I think it's all B.S. I wanna see them buy an engine for my R50 @ 7 grand when the TB takes everything out.

Just like the dealer, they wouldn't cover that unless it happened prematurely to the recommended time...I am sure they have a billion stipulations so in reality they only cover when a gold ball causes your engine block to crack or some crazy shiz

From a guy in the business, a extended warranty on a older car is useless. You could end up paying thousands of dollars and never use it. If you are worried about car repairs or possible emergency repairs, start a car maintenence saving account. A couple of bucks here and there can add up to a lot over time. And if your rig doesnt have any issues, you saved the money to use on something else.

The telemarketer you speak of may actually be selling a product. We deal with several different extended warranty companies on a daily basis. He believes the fact that you probably wont ever use the contract, or you will just get rid of the car and he keeps your money. Much like the insurance companies, if you dont have any issues, they dont exactly give you all your money back.

When my dad bought his 2000 pathy from tony graham in ottawa in 2005 they gave him a 1 year warranty, but of course nothing really goes wrong on these things so he didn't even think about getting an extended warranty lol. It's cheaper to most work yourself anyways. Only things I can't do is exhaust, welding, and steering (don't have the tools).

But if you were to get an extended warranty the dealer is probably the best place becuase at least then you have some assurance that it's not a scam...

Edited by adamzan

When my dad bought his 2000 pathy from tony graham in ottawa in 2005 they gave him a 1 year warranty, but of course nothing really goes wrong on these things so he didn't even think about getting an extended warranty lol. It's cheaper to most work yourself anyways. Only think I can't do is exhaust, welding, and steering (don't have the tools).

But if you were to get an extended warranty the dealer is probably the best place becuase at least then you have some assurance that it's not a scam...

Ya, if you're doing the work yourself, it doesn't make sense at all.

IMO, the manufacturer extended warranty is the best one to get if you are going to buy one.

I've seen so many aftermarket warranties that suck. How about a transmission that the centre seal starts to leak.

Manufacturer warranty asks "what is the failed part" the answer is "a part of the transmission"

the transmission is covered by warranty, so even if it just needs to be resealed, it is covered.

The aftermarket warranty asks "what is the failed part" the answer is "a part of the transmission" the aftermarket warranty says "more specific, what part of the transmission?" the answer is "the transmission centre seal" the aftermarket warranty says "that's not a lubricated part, it's not covered by warranty"

The manufacturer warranty will also pay for concequencial damage

example:

the alternator siezed, caused the belt to come off, wrapped around the fan clutch, which broke off and put a hole throught the radiator.

Manufacturer warranty would pay to replace the alternator, AND belt, clutch, and radiator because they were all damaged due to the covered part.

Aftermarket warranty would just pay for the alternator, they wouldn't even cover the belt.

Even manufacturer/dealer warranties are a scam, they still don't cover what you would think they should. Best thing you can do:

If you are worried about car repairs or possible emergency repairs, start a car maintenence saving account. A couple of bucks here and there can add up to a lot over time.

Putting your number on the Do Not Call registry doesn't work anymore. You do know they make the list available to telemarketers so they know who NOT to call, right? I've heard stories of marketers getting the list and then proceeding to call everyone on it. It's just another list to them, they don't care if you don't want a call.

I fixed the telemarketer problen. Well, it's a process. When they call, I wait for the recorded crap at the beginning, as soon as the real person comes on, I blow my air horn into the phone. 12bux at the boat shop and 130db. hopefully they flag the number and tell each other about the surprize. If they don't quit, I get the gratification of fuggering up their day as they have fuggered up mine. 6 times and counting so far.

While I'm sure it doesn't have the same effect on them as it does on you, it's still a good way to handle it. More humor than anger. Hell, a Groucho Marx horn would work as well. Talk to them normally and periodically honk the horn to drown out key parts, then pause and act bewildered, asking if they were tooting a horn... :D

B

http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/0/351/...1696.htm#335988

Here is the answer I was looking for. Read the responses to the original review. There are ppl that work for the company that chimed in. Just as I suspected, they are a scam. New name, same company that ripped ppl off. The new company already has over 700 complaints with the BBB.