LSD question

ticker

I was pulling away from my house yesterday and because of the nice 3in ice pack on the road I had no forward motion but could feel and hear the rear wheels spinning. I opened my door and could see the drivers side wheel stopped but the pass side spinning on the ice. When I bought the pathy it had what I thought was the original window sticker in the glove box. It has the "off-road package" listed which included the LSD. The VIN on the sticker and the door jamb match. So now I'm like WTF. I know that the LSD has an orange sticker, which I don't see, but it could be covered w/ dirt.

Is there any reason the LSD would do this? broken? something else?

I was pulling away from my house yesterday and because of the nice 3in ice pack on the road I had no forward motion but could feel and hear the rear wheels spinning. I opened my door and could see the drivers side wheel stopped but the pass side spinning on the ice. When I bought the pathy it had what I thought was the original window sticker in the glove box. It has the "off-road package" listed which included the LSD. The VIN on the sticker and the door jamb match. So now I'm like WTF. I know that the LSD has an orange sticker, which I don't see, but it could be covered w/ dirt.

Is there any reason the LSD would do this? broken? something else?

it's a friction LSD so it's probably just old and worn out. mine has LSD but it's not worth a damn.

you both must be gassing it and the lsd doesn't engage at high rpms. tap a brake and go easy on the skinny. the nissan lsd is is freaking awesome actually.

I don't have the lsd so I can't speak from experience, but from what I've read, the wd21 lsd (which you are probably thinking of) is significantly better than the r50 lsd.

I have noticed with mine it seems as if it takes a little bit for the LSD to "warm up" meaning if it has just started up and in 2wd with barely touching the gas only 1 wheel spins. 5 minutes later I'll repeat and both wheels start turning. I am not sure why or how but that is what i have noticed.

I've heard little praise on the R50 rear LSD but I'm sure it makes a big difference when it is needed, i.e. slow motion while offroading, etc. but apparently the breakaway torque value is pretty weak when compared to other stock LSD's...

Open diffs do blow goats, though, and I look forward to the day I can afford a set of ARB air lockers for my rig. :D

Interesting, I probobly was gassing it pretty hard. I've only has this pathy for a few months so I have to put it into some more slipery situations to see how it reacts. I'll be sure to check it out at slower speeds and when the weather gets better crawl under to get a better look at the diff and/or jack it up and spin the wheels to see whats going on there. Thanks for the feedback.

iki have lsd there is a sticker on mine that says it and i have the off road edition also but mine one tire tends to spin and then other times it doesnt idk if its a warm up thing or not but it does seem to do it more right away after turning the car on

iki have lsd there is a sticker on mine that says it and i have the off road edition also but mine one tire tends to spin and then other times it doesnt idk if its a warm up thing or not but it does seem to do it more right away after turning the car on

:wtf:

I have absolutely no idea to what you just said. :blah:

Punctuation and grammar are not prerequisites! :aok:

Back to the thread, however. I've been told just to get lockers, anyway... Does anyone know the breakaway torque of the OEM LSD? :scratchhead:

Despite the huge amount of money for ARB's unit, it seems totally worth it.

i wonder if mine has lsd. how do i tell with out spinning the tires on ice or what not. its a 96 se 4x4. i thought i had it. but i got stuck doing donuts in the snow and the driver side rear wheel spun when i was trying to get out. which one is supposed to spin if its regular

I don't have the lsd so I can't speak from experience, but from what I've read, the wd21 lsd (which you are probably thinking of) is significantly better than the r50 lsd.

oh yeah, thanks for the disclaimer. i have a wd.

made sense to me, but a few periods or commas would've helped. :D

or less beer? ;):D

This is true. 230lbs vs 130. WD22 Xterra shares the R50 LSD.

Why would Nissan even bother making a weaker LSD? :scratchhead: I can't help but think it would have made more sense just to stick with what works.

Here's why...

Driving a locked, or heavily LSD'd vehicle in 2wd on slippery surfaces actually increases the probability of the rear end kicking out in turns. On road manners take precident over off road ability. Yes, a locked or strong LSD equipped vehicle will get going faster and with less wheel spin than an open or weak LSD equipped vehicle, but that is far less of a concern than control.

Here's why...

Driving a locked, or heavily LSD'd vehicle in 2wd on slippery surfaces actually increases the probability of the rear end kicking out in turns. On road manners take precident over off road ability. Yes, a locked or strong LSD equipped vehicle will get going faster and with less wheel spin than an open or weak LSD equipped vehicle, but that is far less of a concern than control.

Thanks for the explanation, Simon. :aok:

I understand that fully but by making a weaker diff than the WD21 for the R50, did onroad safety improve? I'm a bit surprised if the WD21 LSD was ideal both on- and off-road, the R50 LSD could have been similar in breakaway torque.

It seems like the stock WD21 seems a lot more trail worthy than the R50; both are safe on the road, though. :scratchhead:

The WD21 can be squirrely in slippery weather if you're not careful. Believe me. I'd say the R50 is a lot safer on the road, and easier to control....comparing the 2 in 2wd.

The WD21 can be squirrely in slippery weather if you're not careful. Believe me. I'd say the R50 is a lot safer on the road, and easier to control....comparing the 2 in 2wd.

Well, I'll take your word on it as I've never driven a WD21 in bad weather conditions. But it makes sense now why open differentials are made: safety on the road.

Now I see why you suggested getting ARB air lockers over installing a LSD. :lol: