Exhaust and header question on 95 Xe

azscott

First off i have read quite a few threads on the header bolt problems and for the most part I am all set. My headers are making the typical tapping sound and I can hear a slight leak so i am getting ready to replace the headers and while I am at it and since the system is old I might as well replace the rest of the system.

My question is this. Which headers have you guys found to be the the easiest to install as far as not having to do any modifications. I looked at quite a few and they always say modifications may be needed. I would like to put a catback exhaust on if I can while I am at it. However the goal is to try and keep it as simple as possible and try to achieve as close to straight bolt on procedure as possible and avoid uneeded welding and such.

If anyone has advice as to which makers headers and exhaust was fairlt straightforward i would appreciate it. I do not have to try and gain performance but it would be nice also...mainly though I want to shut up the annoying leak and tapping.

Maybe the few exhaust options out there are all fairly straightforward and that would be great I just have no idea and I have run into a real Pain in the @ss exhaust job once on an old Camaro and regretted ever starting the job myself:-(

Scott

Edited by azscott

I'd go with the doug throely Headers. and although you want a straight bolt on install, it'll honestly be best to install the headers yourself then take your truck to an exhaust shop to have it ran with 2.5" pipe all the way back.

But either way you do it. doug thorley is your best bet, i've heard too many stories about pacesetter

make sure you use 300zx turbo studs. Most dealers give you that instead of pathfinder studs cause the original studs were inferior.

getting my stock maifolds out was tricky, I slid my thorley longtubes up there for test fit without too much difficulty but there is a bit of welding involved; #1 primary and the crossover pipe. I had broken an EZout in the head so I had a mechanic finish the job.

for the 90 and later the thorleys are short tubes. I belive the primaries are already done so all might need welding is the crosover pipe. being that they are short tubes getting them in there and bolting the pipes @ wheel height well instead of under the vechile might more difficult I do not know, but somone else here should.

I believe the main issue is with the tranny. If you have an auto tranny, there won't be enough room (or the right room) for the crossover if you try to install headers. Now, with that said, and that is the official version, I spoke with the folks at thorley and they tell me that it is quite likely that their product will work with either tranny. They have not received any feedback that there has been a problem with the installation. so... here's my reco:

If you have an auto tranny, go with the thorleys (even though I have pacesetters but have yet to install them)

If you have a manual tranny, you need to balance between quality and cost.

I also have pacesetter, thay went up nice untell the y pipe did not mach at all to the cat. Had a guy weld me up a new y pipe. Turns out that summit sent me the wrong ones. It was for a auto not a 5 speed, but turnd out nice. The only thing i had to modify (beat down) was the right side heat sheld to the moter mount and of course the egr tube.

I also have pacesetter, thay went up nice untell the y pipe did not mach at all to the cat. Had a guy weld me up a new y pipe. Turns out that summit sent me the wrong ones. It was for a auto not a 5 speed, but turnd out nice. The only thing i had to modify (beat down) was the right side heat sheld to the moter mount and of course the egr tube.

That sounds good. I took it over to my mechaic yesterday to have him weld back the tailpipe that got yanked out and we looked at the rest of the exhaust and it needs to come out anyway. There is a small header leak on the right side...can't see it but can hear it and we all know that it is 99% chance it is broken bolts.

For now I will drive it as is and sae up money for headers and cat exhaust. It is slightly anooying to hear the leak but nothing terrible...just hate the tapping more than anything else.

Between this one and my 87 Pathy Sport that needs a new tranny and clutch...I should be broke for a while:-) The one nice thing is that 87 is in sweet shape overall...previous owner was anal over it's care.....garaged it for 21 years straight! plus being in Az we don't have rust...yeah!

scott

Ya i got lucky with mine for it had a exhaust leak on the passenger side in the back. when i took the old manifolds off the exhaust bolts were gust lose. so it saved alot of time also. my brother has a 92 pathfinder and all he was going to do was gust fix the bolts and keep his old manifolds well he had 4 studs broken on his. took me 20 mines to put in all new studs my brother took hem almost all day.

I had the pacesetters installed by a mechanic due to the number of broken studs. The paint does seem to burn off them though so if looks are an issue for you beware of that, other than that, I have had no problems with them except that i crushed the cross pipe on a log... ooops :rolleyes:

Ya i got lucky with mine for it had a exhaust leak on the passenger side in the back. when i took the old manifolds off the exhaust bolts were gust lose. so it saved alot of time also. my brother has a 92 pathfinder and all he was going to do was gust fix the bolts and keep his old manifolds well he had 4 studs broken on his. took me 20 mines to put in all new studs my brother took hem almost all day.

I'm not looking forward to doing mine. I have at least three visible broken studs and the rest all REALLLY rusted and look fragile. That's a PITA waiting for me. Also most of my exhaust hangers are broken and the cat and muffler are resting on the crossbeams of the frame.