Front end squeaking crunching

dhardison

My truck started making that dreaded kinda squeaking crunching sound in the right front suspension going over speed bumps or anything else that promotes a lot of suspension travel. Not sure if they are related but last weekend I did a little mudding in some farm fields. Maybe not from the off-road act itself but from the pressure washing I had to do afterwards to get all the caked on mud off everything.

Anybody want to take a guess at what is the most probable cause? Ball joint, bushing, tie-rod end? I don't want to take it to the suspension shop right now because I don't have the cash to get it fixed. I traded Z's this week and I'm so broke for the rest of the month I couldn't rub two bad checks together and get a good one. Soon as I recover financially I'll get whatever it is fixed because this Path deserves to have everything working right.

not sure what could be causing it, but you could jack up the front end and remove the wheel, and take a jack and lift the assembly up and see if you can see anything moving in ways it shouldnt or touching and rubbing :shrug:

^ yes, look, but it doesn't always show the problem.

I'm guessing bushings, #1 the rod that goes from the LCA back to the frame. They have a tendency to wear/fail and you may have over-exercised the old bushings the other day. That's a complete hunch.

It could be the control arm bushings or even the sway bar bushings. Hard to tell from here... :shrug:

Any change in steering or handling? Does it act different turning (either/both directions)?

B

I'm guessing bushings, #1 the rod that goes from the LCA back to the frame. They have a tendency to wear/fail and you may have over-exercised the old bushings the other day. That's a complete hunch.

It could be the control arm bushings or even the sway bar bushings. Hard to tell from here... :shrug:

Any change in steering or handling? Does it act different turning (either/both directions)?

B

Forgot to mention that it still drives the same and tracks straight on a smooth road. I guess I was taking a shot that there was one thing that was a weak spot. My guess after reading your reply is a control arm bushing. We've been in single digit weather this week and it's just too cold for me to get out there and look closer at the problem. Even too cold in my unheated garage. I can bungle through some minor stuff like tuneups etc. but I'm gonna have to leave the suspension stuff to the pros.

B

They're called the tension rod bushings. Mine made the same sound when I noticed they were shot.

Forgot to mention that it still drives the same and tracks straight on a smooth road. I guess I was taking a shot that there was one thing that was a weak spot. My guess after reading your reply is a control arm bushing. We've been in single digit weather this week and it's just too cold for me to get out there and look closer at the problem. Even too cold in my unheated garage. I can bungle through some minor stuff like tuneups etc. but I'm gonna have to leave the suspension stuff to the pros.

You can change it yourself with some tools and know how, but it still needs alignment...

I hear you about too cold, I whine when the garage is below 50!

They're called the tension rod bushings. Mine made the same sound when I noticed they were shot.

They have a few names, so I just describe them. ;)

If they make that kind of noise, they are beyond shot... :D

B

It could be front frame bolts[there's a write up on this by '88 somewhere here] bad shock or shock mount bushings; but I vote for upper or lower control arm bushings; if there rubber they made need to be replaced, if there poly [like mine that squeak] they need to be relubed. Good luck - glenn

Does it sound kinda like tearing metal? does it do it only when the wheels are turned full lock, or does it do it all the time?

If it only does it at full lock it could be the steering stops. They should be greased every once in a while and may need new caps. The came stock with plastic caps. The new once from nissan are chrome plated caps.

If it does it all the time it could be the 2 large bolts on the front end. I can't remember which ones since my problem was the steering stops.

Mark