My New Boots UPDATED

Trainman

The Subi got its new boots yesterday, General Grabber AT2. The only AT type tire that is available in the size I need:

IMG_2367.jpg

So now I will be able to go where 95% of Pathies fear to tread ('cause they never leave the mall :tongue: )

Edited by Trainman

those should take you almost anywhere the Subi does.

That's a very diplomatic response. Along the same lines as "where ever you go, there you are".

Come to think of it, I sure hope the Subaru doesn't end up somewhere w/o the tires. Good luck buddy!

Edited by crazyhayseed

nice are you going to stud them for winter like the last set?

Nope, they will be run all year so no studs and we are seeing a lot of places were studs are not allowed, like parking garages.

Don't worry, I will keep all abreast of how they work as long as you keep letting me post non-Nissan stuff :puterpunch:

and what size that was that you couldnt get any others...

215/65R16 is the size. Biggest issue with the size is the way the AWD works. The spare needs to be the same size if you get a flat or you have to do a tire change tango (both tires on the front the same, space saver to the rear only) plus put in a fuse to disable the AWD. A real pain and try to explain that to my wife......And I did not want to put out for 5 tires, so one of the originals is now the spare.

Cost was $900 CDN installed.

hmmm that price is suspicious....

900 cad = 770 usd

general grabber AT2 in 215/65/16 costs $86 each from tire rack... shipping is $60 for all 4..... we at $400 total so far...

i hope you didnt pay $370 for mounting and balancing.... i hope shipping is more expensive to canada or something! Cause that price looks a little high! I just bough 31" BFG A/T for much less than that (and General is supposed to be cheaper than BFG)

No, they did a 4 wheel alignment, although I don't know what there is to adjust. But they did let us know that our rear link bushings were getting worn, and the tie rods have some slight play, but still safe and alignable.

We don't have that lifetime alignment thing here.

Edited by redfinder

Tire Trends have them for $138.95/tire, plus shipping plus taxes and eco-fees (or about $170/tire before the shipping costs). I would have to pay mounting and balancing on top of that.

For Canada, it was an OK price to buy local. What I get is free rotations but more importantly road hazard at all Fountain Tire stores in Canada.

I wish we had the same kind of tire deals you 49'ers have...........sigh

• 2 months later...

An update on these tires:

No good when the temps drop below -10 c or so. Was kind of scary this last week actually, as we went into the deep freeze. So they will be 3 season tires, with Blizzak WS-60's as the winter tire (all that was left in my size, nice tire but expensive).

And some other Forester owners are noting the poor low temp performance as well.

No grip on ice, or just no grip from the rubber stiffening up at such cold temps?

Not sure, as we did not have any ice when it was warmer. But was happening was the Forester would fish tail, on the straight, at 40 kph with the slightest throttle application. Turns, from a standing start in 1st or 2nd, would push it well to the outside as all 4 tires were spinning and sliding. Heck, it would slide if you took your foot OFF the gas suddenly. The rubber is much harder than the Blizzaks at the temps we have right now.

My guess, based on the fact they were OK at -5 in snow and slush is the rubber getting hard. So studs would not make much of a difference except on ice.

Just a heads up for those who might want to run these in colder climes.