question on rancho 5000's

Coucoui6

okay... every new shock i've installed on any vehicle the shock would always extend. especially high performance gas shock, ie. bilsteins on my bmw m3.

i just got rancho 5000. it seems to dampen by rebound control. the shock does not extent on its own. is that right? now i know few shock, ie. koni's performance single adjustable dampener allows for only rebound adjustments.

so far i've only replaced my fronts...( old ones was blown last weekend at the desert :FartExplode-vi: ) but it doesn't seem any stiffer than my last OEM replacements.

so the installation is straight forward. am i missing something? or this is the normal rancho 5000 behavior. most everyone on this site states the 5000's are on the stiff side. i don't see it. i've also have not installed the rears. i got the buy 3 and get 4th one free special ...

coucoui 6

so the installation is straight forward. am i missing something? or this is the normal rancho 5000 behavior. most everyone on this site states the 5000's are on the stiff side. i don't see it. i've also have not installed the rears. i got the buy 3 and get 4th one free special ...

coucoui 6

Just put four 5000's on my WD21 & don't think they're stiff at all either.

Might be because I've got a '95 4door with the spare tire carrier & not the wimpy,light weight 2door :hide::D

Gas charged shocks extend. Regular shocks do not. My Rancho 5000's didn't extend.

okay... i guess mine rancho's are normal... but i thought the 5000's were gas charged.

the special was 4wheelparts.com. i paid about 150.00 with tax for all four.

so that is about $37.50 each... cheap.

thanks.

Edited by Coucoui6

You paying for the gas? :shrug:

Also, what he doesn't have is 200lbs on the front of his truck, and 200lbs on the back of his truck holding him down. ;)

Edited by Simon

update,

i just finished installing everything last weekend. and drove to my in-laws place... about 2.5 hours on the road. the shocks performed nicely but i wanted more. i felt like my front torsion bars are sagging.

so to be cheap and increase my spring rate... i added coil helper springs on every dampener. the rear ones was easy to install and it helped alot. the front independent suspension was a bit tricky... it was a tight fit but once the front A arms was compressed there's room for a helper coil to work.

all in all...

i like the helper coil on the rear but not sure how i feel about it in the front. my inital reaction was the truck felt a bit tips with the fronts helper coils on. but after driving my pathy home the suspension settled down abit and now its better. but i still need an alignment and a weeks worth of driving before i can make a final conclusion. right it is now much more stiff. the rancho is controlling rebound and my helper coil is resisting compression.

i would recommend the rears to anyone that tows or their pathy stock suspension is sagging. the rubber boot would not fit with the coil springs so i used a thick pair of hiking tube socks to slip over the coils. this is not perfect but good enough to prevent dirt and dust from sitting on the dampener rod.

Edited by Coucoui6

• 3 weeks later...

here is my follow update.

i got the alignment and it drove more stable right away. and now i've had it for 2-3 wks. i would say i like it.... its a very cheap and easy modification. not the best but it performs well enough. i recently did a little off roading on a few backroads where i can drive 35-40 mph with some rocky patches and smaller woops. the pathy felt good. i did bottom out on my right front once, but everything was good.

Edited by Coucoui6

i've had the same RS5000's on my 87 for 9 years now...the front was at a good ride the rears were much stiffer than the ole worn out crap I pulled off and it took some getting used to especially when going over small bumps under acceleration you would get wheel hop and a good jolt to the back but it was the 2 dr with no carrier so who knows...just seemed like a pickup truck reaction to me