HOA's

Red87Path

aint this a b***h,

Yet another example of a Homeowner's Association run amok... A Texas homeowner in Frisco (just north of Dallas) has been told by the Stonebriar HOA that his new Ford F-150 isn't allowed to be parked in his driveway. The Association, established to protect Jim Greenwood's interests (that's the theory at least), will allow his neighbor's Cadillac Escalades, Honda Ridgelines, and even a HUMMER or two, but his new pickup violates a rule that prohibits pickups in the driveway. When Mr. Greenwood inquired as to why a Lincoln Mark LT could park in the neighborhood, but his practically identical F-150 couldn't, the response from the HOA was, "'It's our belief that Lincoln markets to a different class of people." Doh! As of now, Mr. Greenwood's options are to get another vehicle, or move. If it were us, we'd replace the F-150 with a yellow Caterpillar 972H Wheel Loader. Yeah, that would get them to quickly change their mind

now for the reason it caught my attention, as some of you know i have a old pathy i just bought a few months ago, its got issues, been working on it here and there, well one sunday around noon the old guy next door comes out in his robe asking me to stop working on my truck, tells me to rent a garage somewhere, well my house has a garage so WTF. well week or so later after driving it to and from work for a week or so, he leave a note on my garage door complaining abaout waking him up at 4am every morning when i start up my truck , tells me "to get if fixed or drive a silent one"

heres what i want to know, how would yall respond to this?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd tell him if he wants you to buy a new truck, he can damn well pay for it.

HoA's are worthless and, in reality, have NO POWER AT ALL. They have no jurisdiction beyond attempting to make life miserable. Just ignore em.

They are gay, when my dad lived in an area with one, they MADE him park his 93, which at the time was practically NEW, in the garage....And he couldn't have a satellite dish or a clothesline in the back yard.

I would ignore him, but make sure to rev a little extra as you pass by his place every morning. As long as the exhaust is legal, he can't do nothin. My sister=in=law's ex boyfriend left for work at 3am and the one neighbor actually asked him to push his truck (full size Dodge) to the end of the street before starting it :crazy: .

I can see the HOA comming after you for working on the vehcle outside of the garage (if they have restrictions on that sort of thing), but 99% have no real restriction on what vehicle you have unless it isn't street legal, then you'll probably have other issues anyway.

Personally, I'd never move into a house that is bound by a HOA. If the property is mine, you ARE NOT telling me what I can do on it.

DON'T get me started on this topic!

IF you value your sanity:

Get out. Get out now. HOA's, CC&R's, etc are symptoms of LIVING HE!! ON EARTH!

i agree

mzxtreme, a HoA has no lawmaking power... what can they do to you? If they attempt to make life hell, get a restraining order and sue them on grounds of harrassment.

i used to work for an HOA mgemnt company. and yes, HOA's CAN make your life hell, AND cost you money. when you move in, you get the CC & R's...... "their" stuck up set of rules of what you can, and can not do...... and they CAN fine you for not obeying them, and they CAN make you remove certain things (i had one HOA b!tch so much about a homeowners BIRD HOUSE that they fined him $500 cuz he refused to take it down).......

HOA's SUCK ASS.

I'd check with the AZ laws and county/city statutes regarding HOAs and what power they really have. Like Slick said, some states allow them to impose fines on residents and do other vile things. You could be in for BIG headaches and other problems if you violate the CC&Rs etc.

If they don't have any true authority I say take the sawzall to the muffler and have a good ol time with that neighbor. Good luck

Edited by Oliver

What I would do is have the HOA President over to your house for a few cold ones. Talk to him about the rules for your neighborhood and let him know about your project. Im guessing he will ask if there has been any complaints and you can ask him the same. Work it out at the source, then tell the nosey neighbor to go piss himself.

mzxtreme, a HoA has no lawmaking power... what can they do to you? If they attempt to make life hell, get a restraining order and sue them on grounds of harrassment.

dude, they actually can have power and they can sue your arse for non compliance and will win which will cost one a bunch. i used to live in a subdivision where there was a HOA and even though they were pretty weak they sued a few home/lot owners for past dues etc. and won.

What I would do is have the HOA President over to your house for a few cold ones. Talk to him about the rules for your neighborhood and let him know about your project. Im guessing he will ask if there has been any complaints and you can ask him the same. Work it out at the source, then tell the nosey neighbor to go piss himself.

i disagree.. don't invite him to your place as he'll find all the things you're not compling with, guaranteed.

Welcome me to the HOA group. No more renting!!!

I was just accepted on a two bedroom condo, that i love, here in San Diego near my work. Opened escrow yesterday. Escrow closes September 29!!!

by the way, on a 2 bedroom that costs $180k, the monthly payment is about $1100 and then the HOA is an additional $280/mo

You better believe i'm going to make good hard use of the pool area, BBQ, and tennis courts!!

dude, they actually can have power and they can sue your arse for non compliance and will win which will cost one a bunch. i used to live in a subdivision where there was a HOA and even though they were pretty weak they sued a few home/lot owners for past dues etc. and won.

i disagree.. don't invite him to your place as he'll find all the things you're not compling with, guaranteed.

Well, I guess the people in my neighborhood are pretty nice then. They just finished the last house in our neighborhood and we had our first offical meeting. Almost everyone has things they want to do to thier own places. They just said to keep the front clean and looking nice and you can pretty much do whatever you want. I got along with almost everyone.

As far as sueing you, well, I think that would not be a smart move on thier account. I imagine you may want to move, and if you try and sell your home at a lower price(current housing trend), it would bring down the value of the other homes around it. Nobody wants to loose money on thier homes right now. I guess I really dont know, being a first time homeowner and all.

I was just accepted on a two bedroom condo, that i love, here in San Diego near my work. Opened escrow yesterday. Escrow closes September 29!!!

by the way, on a 2 bedroom that costs $180k, the monthly payment is about $1100 and then the HOA is an additional $280/mo

You better believe i'm going to make good hard use of the pool area, BBQ, and tennis courts!!

Congrats on the condo bud. But holy hell, 180k for a 2 bedroom condo? I'm sure thats probably the going rate out there, just hard for me to believe since things are so much cheaper in Texas. Gotta give another holy hell to the HOA dues. Thats hard for me to comprehend. My HOA dues are only about 500$/year.

Congrats on the condo bud. But holy hell, 180k for a 2 bedroom condo? I'm sure thats probably the going rate out there, just hard for me to believe since things are so much cheaper in Texas. Gotta give another holy hell to the HOA dues. Thats hard for me to comprehend. My HOA dues are only about 500$/year.

hahah and thats in a middle to low income area! Go 10 minutes west, (by the beach) and a two bedroom condo is under a million without a view, a couple million with a view!!! its tough out here!!!

Yeah the seller got royally f**ked with the drop in the economy. They were basically forced into selling. Its a short sale meaning one step before foreclosure. Its a nice young couple with twins :(

Well, I guess the people in my neighborhood are pretty nice then. They just finished the last house in our neighborhood and we had our first offical meeting. Almost everyone has things they want to do to thier own places. They just said to keep the front clean and looking nice and you can pretty much do whatever you want. I got along with almost everyone.

As far as sueing you, well, I think that would not be a smart move on thier account. I imagine you may want to move, and if you try and sell your home at a lower price(current housing trend), it would bring down the value of the other homes around it. Nobody wants to loose money on thier homes right now. I guess I really dont know, being a first time homeowner and all.

most of people in charge of HOA are buttholes.. that's what it takes to run an association. suing is smart because if one isn't complying, their actions are much more "harmfull" to the neighborhood then one selling their house. btw. all homes are down in value regardless of someone selling theirs or not. that's just the kind of heap we're all in right now.

But holy hell, 180k for a 2 bedroom condo?

LOL, like Fueler said, thats nothing!! I walked away from a $250k condo purchase 6 years ago here at the start of the housing boom because it was too ghetto for me. If I hjad bought it and sold 3 years later, it would habe been an easy $100k profit... Oh well. :shrug:

B

Yeah, condos are kinda different though, you are paying for them to do the maintenance on the exterior as well as operating the "club house" with that fee.

I would ignore him, but make sure to rev a little extra as you pass by his place every morning. As long as the exhaust is legal, he can't do nothin. My sister=in=law's ex boyfriend left for work at 3am and the one neighbor actually asked him to push his truck (full size Dodge) to the end of the street before starting it :crazy: .

I can see the HOA comming after you for working on the vehcle outside of the garage (if they have restrictions on that sort of thing), but 99% have no real restriction on what vehicle you have unless it isn't street legal, then you'll probably have other issues anyway.

Personally, I'd never move into a house that is bound by a HOA. If the property is mine, you ARE NOT telling me what I can do on it.

i was thinking something along these lines, soon as i get it through emissions and get tags on it, im thinking of running pipes straight up through the hood jesse james style. luckily im only renting this house , i did have to sign a paper acknowledging the hoa rules. hopefully going to be buying a house before this year is over, prices are almost right. but yea, soon as it is legal, im makin it loud, big ole coffe can tips. maybe even loosen up the alternator belt a lil so it squeals real loud when i start it too.

I would comply with what they're saying and not be an a$$ about it. If you can't deal with their rules, you need to find a new dwelling. I'm sure those rules and regs. were in place before you moved in, thus not giving you much of a leg to stand on. HOA's have dealt with issues like the one you're having many times before I'm sure and they know how to make it miserable for you.

Before anything else, I would get a copy of their Constitution (of whatever law-written piece of paper they have) and read it to a T. See exactly what's allowed and prohibited.

Know your enemy before you confront it :D