ECU relocation - alternatives

flnl

I know some of you moved the ECU to the glove box. Did someone else moved it to another place? I don't want to lose that space, but I couldn't find such an easy place to move it to.

I have one in a box on a shelf in my garage... does that count?

Well, that's an idea... that way I wouldn't worry about someone stoling my Pathy to part it out in a JY... when I want to drive it, I plug the ECU again and put it over my legs :tongue:

I think Iron Locust has the best idea by putting all the electronics on the ceiling of the cab. you will have to extend a lot if wires to do it, but you can pretty much guarantee you will never get it wet and if you do, you have a lot more to worry about than a wet ecu. I put mine in the glovebox, but it's not safe there either as you can see from what happened to SkinnyPedal last year:

n620175477_1527830_3477.jpg

you could always carry a spare, but be aware that the donor vehicle's transmission has to be an automatic if yours is an automatic. If you have a manual transmission; you can use either an automatic or manual trans donor ecu.

is there anything you need to splice to use one from an automatic? or is it just plug and play?

AFAIK (Auto) ECU into manual = fine, (Auto) ECU into Auto = fine, but (Manual) ECU into Auto = auto has no idea :D

The (auto) ECU sends the auto ECU a signal so it knows what revs the engine is doing :aok:

Clear as mud huh? :lol:

My 88's sits in a sealed box (tupperware style) under the seat in it's original location. Never had an issue of too much heat leaving it sealed up all the time.

Maybe the ECU doesn't generate too much heat, so that won't be a problem...

How did you seal the hole for the wires? Silicone rubber?

Edited by flnl

Maybe the ECU doesn't generate too much heat, so that won't be a problem...

How did you seal the hole for the wires? Silicone ruber?

I used tube silicone and worked itinbetween all the wires to make them basically a solid bundle. Then once I fed them through a hole in the side of the box I sealed around the outside and inside of box between the wires and the edge of the hole. I cut the "feet" off the ECU, and mounted the box using 2 of the factory mount points by drilling the box and sealing each screw, and the ECU just "floats" inside the box. I even ran a bead of silicone around the lid seal before I closed it up.

I never did take a finished pic (did the work 2 years ago), I'll try and remember to get one.

The answer to this age old question really is how deep do you plan to go? If you like to see how well your truck can swim, then put it on the roof, if your just concerned about water on the floor waterproofing or the glovebox move are your only easy options. i probably moved it to the glove box in 3 hrs and im anal about wiring and such.

• 1 year later...

for the square dash I've tossed arround the Idea of moving mine to on top of the dash flush against the insrument bezel.

I'd postition it with the light facing the seats and run a toggle switch next to it wired to the diagnostic switch.

The harnes could then go straight down next to the defroster vent and to the firewall. I think it may be long enough to reach as is too...

3 scissor snips and seams later my dash mat would contour and cover it just as well as it coverd the original set up.

AND I could run diagnostics from the drivers seat! smile.gif

Edited by MY1PATH