What do I do?

vengeful

What should I do?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. What should I do?

• Go.
    • Stay.

I hope there are some regulars out there who know me and can offer some sound advice here. I've got a pretty big problem to deal with right now.

I just got a call that my sister went into the hospital today. It's not life threatening, but it's related to her Colitis (similar to Chrohn's Disease). While I know that nothing is going to happen, I feel that I should be there. I want to be there, I need to be there.

On the other hand, there's the work situation. I work for a bunch of Nazi's. I called in sick today, because I woke up with a pretty bad migraine, and couldn't even open my eyes. Now this. My manager seemed like he thought I was lying on the phone this morning, and I'm sure he won't believe me if I call in tomorrow to tell him that I'm in Virginia due to a family emergency. And, as a result of that, will fire me for skipping work. It's not like they need me there or anything, there's no business and they never work with me to help create business. :shiftyeyes:

But, then there's the third side of the coin. My mother just so happens to be a Federal Labor Attorney, and she'll likely be in the room with me when I call my boss. If he starts giving me the third degree, I can always put her on to lecture him about their illegal business practices and pay scales, the rampant sexual harassment, belittlement, discrimination, etc etc etc...

Maybe I've answered my own question, but I've got aghina so bad I can't even think straight....

If you "feel" you should be there, then you should. Family is family. There's always work for the willing, but generally not a second chance to do right by the ones you love.

My .02

I tend to agree with your decision but as you stated above I dont know you that well and I ofcourse do not know your whole situation. Family always comes first. In my situation family comes first but I also provide for a wife and two kids so If i dont work there is no money coming in (hence why I have not quit my crappy but decent paying job). Your situation is obviously different. The job market is kinda scary right now. From the sounds of your rant above and the fact that in the poho you have already decided that your going to leave soon. I take it you do not like your workplace so I say if it is financially feasable go be with family. You could try talking to your work about your situation and the fact that you have a family emergency and see what they say. If they are asses about it and give you @!*% and want to fire you for it then the place is not worth your time anyway. Leave and do a nice burnout in the parking lot on your way out. I did a huge burnout where I ran through both first and second gear in my camaro at one of my old jobs that I walked out on for being treated unfairly.

Basically just reposting what I just posted on another forum. I agree with you ZB. They're a bunch of whaking whaks there....

As far as the job situation goes, yes, I am planning on leaving soon anyways, but was certainly not expecting this. I've got interviews with three companies, and have already gone on two interviews with Home Depot (Flooring sales and service desk, yeah, not the most glamorous jobs ever, but the pay is good (not stellar, but nearly double what I'm making now), and the atmosphere and environment (much more important than a couple dollars to me at the moment, not raising a family) is awesome). Got a few other interviews lined up, that will pay more than HD, but wont be as active or fast-paced, and I may find myself bored with them quickly.

I spoke to her this evening, and we decided that even though it looks better on a resume to have left on your own accord, this is definitely an extenuating circumstance, that can easily be explained to a prospective employer, and they will probably be sympathetic. And, if worse comes to worse, I can bring the Federal Rain. NYS AG Cuomo also happens to be a very close friend of my Uncle--they go sailing together.

Family always comes first.

I am going, if not for anything more than the fact that I haven't seen my family since Christmas, and my sister needs the moral support.

I'm the stayer b/c I know several people with it and as long as there is someone there with them then they're fine...I tend to try to save up trips like that for something more serious (not that this is not serious)

Right now I am trying to decide when to go home myself since my pops (not really my pops but more of one to me than mine was) is about to have surgery that may leave him paralyzed; Both of his parents (nanna and old man) are in poor health...the old man can't even get out of bed anymore...my mom has had 4 surgeries in the last month on her feet/knees and can hardly walk and has to take care of my grandfather who is doing bad off of diabetes and even worse off now that my grandmother passed and shes having to deal with my brother whose lifestyle has found him in the ER 3 times in the past year (once this past week) with a drug/alcohol OD

So I think in the next few weeks i'll be flying back east to take care of that since the last time I decided to not go to the hospital (I was 12 and my uncle had lung cancer) and I stayed up late the night B4 and didnt go that morning b/c I would just see him later that evening or the next day...well that day never came...so for me more serious conditions would warrant the trip but I don't know if this would or not...

that boss guy is not going to believe you if you call in a family emergency the day after calling in sick. hes gonna be pissed. *my "vocabulary" is so small* him.

You make it sound like the job sucks, (belittlement, discrimination), the pay sucks (half of home depot pay), and the boss sucks,

I say go to the hospital, visit your sis, take a small vacation, and find a better job (although i heard home depot sucks from everybody who has worked there)

If you get back from your break and the boss is an asshole, just quit... dont even waste your time having your mama call them unless they deny to pay you or some @!*% like that....

While I know that nothing is going to happen, I feel that I should be there. I want to be there, I need to be there.

On the other hand, there's the work situation. I work for a bunch of Nazi's. I called in sick today, because I woke up with a pretty bad migraine, and couldn't even open my eyes. Now this. My manager seemed like he thought I was lying on the phone this morning, and I'm sure he won't believe me if I call in tomorrow to tell him that I'm in Virginia due to a family emergency. And, as a result of that, will fire me for skipping work. It's not like they need me there or anything, there's no business and they never work with me to help create business. shiftyeyes_anim.gif

But, then there's the third side of the coin. My mother just so happens to be a Federal Labor Attorney, and she'll likely be in the room with me when I call my boss. If he starts giving me the third degree, I can always put her on to lecture him about their illegal business practices and pay scales, the rampant sexual harassment, belittlement, discrimination, etc etc etc...

#1) Family matters first, nothing else is in comparison...

#2) Doesn't sound like you have much of a job to lose, so fark them. I've been hired plenty of times when I tell them in the interview that I was fired from the last job...

#3) Why is it you always pull out the law suit card? Move on and let it go unless you have been seriously wronged. Doesn't seem like that's the case so far....

#4) Unless your employer is a skinhead in Idaho and/or has swastikas on the walls, I suggest you refrain from the Nazi comments. I find them offensive...

B

#3) Why is it you always pull out the law suit card? Move on and let it go unless you have been seriously wronged. Doesn't seem like that's the case so far....

B

Isn't that the american way? :lol:

:hide:

Hope everything goes ok dan

it could be worse lol. I once worked at a boiler room type job with a bunch of close friends... we had one dorky kinda guy FOB from nebraska who came to work for us.... the stress was too much for him and he ended up quitting on bad terms (tried to start a mutiny) and when he came to pick up his last paycheck, he showed up with a PERSONAL BODYGUARD. He actually paid to have this enormous black guy come with him just in case we tried to beat him up instead of giving him his paycheck. LOL. When he came into the office, the black guy looked just as confused as us. We're a group of fairly non-violent white guys dressed in slacks, ties and leather shoes, talking on phones in a nice office. When the guy went into the bosses office to get the check, we all started laughing hysterically INCLUDING the black bodyguard. He came out of the office to witness us ridiculing him with his own bodyguard laughing with us. I bet that was embarrassing.

That guy went back to nebraska after like 3 weeks LOL

anyways dont try anything stupid like a lawsuit or you will end up being ridiculed.

B

Where did I ever say lawsuit? :shiftyeyes:

Where did I ever say lawsuit?

Sorry, but I believe it was a cornerstone of a previous thread you created about quitting that job... :shrug:

Could you please elaborate without going into great political and economical BS.

I'm first generation German-American. I don't know how many times I've been called a Nazi by extremely ignorant fools due to this. My usual response is to beat them down, pull out their teeth and set them on fire...

My point is that most people believe the term "nigger" for example is very rude, offensive and avoid it. I believe "nazi" is the same...

B

My point is that most people believe the term "nigger" for example is very rude, offensive and avoid it. I believe "nazi" is the same...

B

I see your point. But somehow people don't find "nigga" offensive ???

Nazi has become more of a tag on anything evil as in, "Eco-Nazi" or Seinfeld's "Soup Nazi". While there are a bunch of real Nazis in the modern world (Neo-Nazis), most of them are stupid mutt Americans. The term is so far gone from German in everything but history.

Nazi has become more of a tag on anything evil as in, "Eco-Nazi" or Seinfeld's "Soup Nazi". While there are a bunch of real Nazis in the modern world (Neo-Nazis), most of them are stupid mutt Americans. The term is so far gone from German in everything but history.

Unfortunately, not as far as you think...

I do understand the use in conjoining with other words, and yes, that seems to alter the context a bit.

LOL Fueler, Thats just damn funny. I do have a sense of humor about these things, the grooving Hitler head GIF is a good example. When it's a spoof or in jest, no worries... ;)

B