$200 fine + $300 fine

91PathSE

About a week ago I was driving down the road, speeding of course and I got Pulled over. The cop being a real a$$hole decideds, that he wasnt going to give me a ticket for goin 10mph over but instead for having my 4 KC's uncovered while on the road. So theres a 200 dollar fine. Well anyway I was pissed so I Left rubber as I pulled away(Plus I was on dirt and my tires spin pretty easily), He pulles me over again 2 minutes later for reckless driving, I got a ticket and a court date for that.

After that I decide that I'm not going to go put covers on my lights because I use them almost everyday for work at home and at work itself.

Last night (about 11:30pm) going down the road(same road), The weather was pretty bad up here in NH, Nobody was on the road so I wanted a lil extra light above my 2 sets of fogs and high beams, I turned on my 4 KC's about 5 or so miles down the road, I see blue lights behind me. I pull over, shut my lights off except for parkign lights turn truck off open window and turn on interior light. Low and behold its the same cop as before, He remembered me too, Now I have a $300 fine for having them on while on road.

So I now have:

$200 fine for lights not beign covered

Ticket not sure what thats going to cost yet

Court date

$300 fine for lights being on

Anybody ever have a similar Problem, or wanna loan me $500, or buy my pathfinder???? :suicide:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a similar issue with the "fog" lights on my ram. I had a set of KC Hi lights Daylighters and had them turned in and went to court. The trick is to convince th judge you thought it was essential for safety. I was driving in the middle of a blizzard so it was an easy argument to make, espacially with how many cars got in an accident that night. I don't know about the whole uncovered thing, I don't think we have that in michigan.

In PA here there is similar laws but you can get fined PER uncovered light. A local cop where I live(who luckily likes me would tell me about it on a regular basis with the 4 I had across the top of my Hardbody(even before I wired them in). Your also only allowed 1 pair of uncovered foglights that have to go off when you kick on your high beams and they have to be a certian distance apart(got bothered about that alot as well by him)

Edited by nunya

I have 2 sets of fogs, Niether are wired to shut off when highbeams come on...and I use them along with headlights at night....And both are pretty close to the middle. Just inside of the headlights, and the second set right below.

The weather thing I dont know if I'll get away with it for safety issues.

i don't think the cops care about having covers on them in canada (ontario at least), but i know they give you the same ticket for not lowering your high beams if you leave driving lights on when cars are passing you or you are following another car.

You are young and you will learn how to control your temper around cops. they ALWAYS find something to ding you with if you are being a moody a$$hole around them. That reckless driving charge is gonna hurt your insurance bad if the court makes it stick.

Edited by skrillaguerilla

See I was being nice to the cop...I wasnt being an a$$hole at all...I didnt argue..Just my rearend broke loose when I pulled away...so I got the reckless charge. Then last night I got coaght with them on, but i was in pretty bad weather(they actually really helped).

So I now have:

$200 fine for lights not beign covered

Ticket not sure what thats going to cost yet

Court date

$300 fine for lights being on

Ouch! Sorry for the fines, but it seems like most of this could have been avoided.

Sounds like you had better cover the lights and settle with the 6 legal lights you have. I can't imagine the need for more than that, and if the weather is THAT bad, you just need to slow down...

As for the reckless driving bit, that does sound like crap. Do you have LSD or locker? You may be able to explain that when one tire is in dirt and the other on the pavement, the rear end locks up and the tires will both try to grab, causing 'burning rubber'. Also point out that you only have a 150HP 3 liter v6 that is not capable of scorching tires for more than a moment.

Of course, if you sprayed the cop with dirt when you took off he had a reason for an attutide.

As was said before, it's only in your best interest to be a reasonable and cautious with cops as possible.

B

See I was being nice to the cop...I wasnt being an a$$hole at all...I didnt argue..Just my rearend broke loose when I pulled away...so I got the reckless charge.

The quote below from your first post says otherwise :togo:

Well anyway I was pissed so I Left rubber as I pulled away

Control anytime you are around a cop is something that you must learn or you will become a target... an easy target... for them in the future. And it's just going to hurt you. It will make future tickets harder to fight and your insurance will just continue to skyrocket.

As for the other tickets, you have a few of options....

• Claim the added light was needed due to weather conditions
  • remove wiring and switches to imply that they could not have been on
  • try and play dumb to the law... which might work but i would not bet on it
  • or own up to it, take your fines, learn from it and move on

Man thats rape. The night of the biggest blizzard in utah in the last 10 years (this past winter) I was helping pull people out of the snowbanks and helping with accidents and what not and not a single cop cared that I had my brights on, my bumper hella 500s on, all 4 of my roof rack hella 500 lights on and my rearward facing roof rack lights on. This went from about 3pm til about 1 am and not a single cop questioned me on it. I pretty much met the whole force too.. No one else seemed to care either. lol But it pretty much was whiteout for most of the time. Even during the summer I keep them uncovered because i hate how they look with the covers on.

Edited by nissandoms47

Dude! I don't know you, but I'm pissed off, WTF with these damn ticket cops? They are a slave to the system. Tickets for every damn thing, and thru this post I just learned you can get ticketed for offroad lights? Now how dumb is that crap, a ticket if they are uncovered???

If I was you, consult first with a traffic ticket attorney. They probably charge you $300 and somehow get the tickets dropped. If you want to attempt to go on your own, there are tricks you can do. You can keep delaying the court date, hoping within that time frame the cop 'forgets' about you, or who knows, he transfer out, move, etc. If there is no cop, you can ask for a immediate dismissal and it's automatically granted. (This technique a lot of people use, google this/youtube it).

Another thing to do, is if you are confident, you can request a 6man speedy jury trial. This is your right. If you are denied the 6man jury, you can request for dismissal.

You can contest the ticket for the 'covers off' and say they must have been stolen off because you last saw them on when you got out of your car the night before. You had no knowledge they where gone. BUT if you conversed with the cop and mentioned anything like 'i'm sorry' or 'forgot to put them on'...you screwed yourself as you became witness to yourself and basically confessed giving him the opportunity to give his word. And you know how that crap works, his word against yours.

If you have any law enforcement family or friends, man... pull a favor. Google 'how to beat a traffic ticket' or something similar, you'll see techniques people used to get out.

HOWEVER, in your case, dude... looks like this cop ain't going to forget you, ticketed 3 times by him? It looks like he'll be eyeing you from now on. Best bet go see a traffic ticket attorney.

yes, most states have laws in regards to lights on vehicles however, NH doesn't seem to have anything on covering/uncovering any lights. http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/RSA/html/XXI/266/266-37.htm but they'll stick it to you for having over 3 aux. ones or them being too high off the ground. i didn't see anything about having them all on at the same time either.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/RSA/html/N...TOC-XXI-266.htm

btw. don't play stupid or dumb, you will lose and possibly have to pay even more. cop's testimony weighs more then yours. with the amounts of these fines, you may want to consult an attorney.

Playing dumb is not a good idea, it is the assumption of the courts that you are aware of the law; ignorance is not a defence.

But yeah, @!*%ty deal man. Slipping the tires in front of a cop was asking for trouble, but the rest sucks. Having lived in a rural area I used my highbeams a lot and would've used an extra lights if I had them, especially during bad weather. I'm not sure what the law is on covering lights but I do know that a lot of trucks around here don't.

I'm not going to play dumb, Because I've been stopped twice with them. Its all on record.

Currently they have stupid looking KC smiley face covers on them, and my upper fogs have covers on them.

As for the rear end breaking loose I was on dirt, and hit the gas a lil to hard and they spun for about .5 seconds and the bounced back on to the pavement, which got a reckless driving ticket.

Then the same cop got me with all of my lights on(thats 10 pretty bright lights) on Saterday night, in bad weather, at about 11:30 pm with nobody on the road.

So I decided that I'm just going to keep the overhead covered and off, unless offroad or in a blizzard and I'm going to pay up and fess up, and hopefully I get a cool Judge, and I wont be an a$$hole.

I'll keep you guys posted on what happens.

you may want to have them clarify the laws for you because i see nothing on covering etc.. in your laws man. it seems the cop is a d.ck and is possibly just sticking it to you. i'd find out for sure what the laws say before i'd pay this possible 'extorsion'

Do NOT just roll over and take it - take it to court mate.

Make sure they CLARIFY the laws - have them show a record of which laws say what and have them state PRECEDENCE for this being used to pull people over.

Make it well known you felt, in your honest opinion, having the lights uncovered and on was the best course of action given the weather.

Also make it well known you did not intend to break your rear end loose. Your truck isn't a power-hauler, but on dirt it's really easy to accidentally spin a wheel.

Also, have them clarify the laws pertaining to the covering of your lights. It's per state I believe. I don't have any on my truck because, well, the local cops around here are uber dicks and pull you over for anything even seeming to be wrong.

i'd find out for sure what the laws say before i'd pay this possible 'extorsion'

Thats kind of what I was thinking, I talked to a bunch of other guys I wheel with up here...and they all cover them for the reason of, "fines" and "cop harrassment".

I am going to look deeper into the laws and maybe even take a trip to my local PD/FD and ask the sargent in person and see what he says. My town cops are awesome, so he's not going to bull$hit me. They dont give a @!*% what you do, I had a cop behind me we were both doin 20 over and he never stopped me, and thats a regular accorance. I've only seen 2 people pulled over in the 4 years that I've lived here.

As for taking it to the court I'm awaiting a court date, and I'm goin to fight the weather one and dependign on what my local PD/FD says will determine my fight against being uncovered, and the reckless driving..is just pissin me off.

and when you show up for court and the cop arrives... tell him to go get you a cup of water. After all, he is a public servant, right?

and bring him a donut... they love that kind of humor

Edited by k9sar

I don't know if NC has BS laws like that but if they do, they sure as sh!t don't enforce 'em. I guess the cops down here have better things to do, like deal with a pretty big dope & gang problem around here, as apposed to what the hell is on top of my vehicle.

Wait, do I smell bacon?... it's definetely a pork product of some sort...

and when you show up for court and the cop arrives... tell him to go get you a cup of water. After all, he is a public servant, right?

and bring him a donut... they love that kind of humor

HAHAHA

If you are planning to pay up, and want to save your $$$ ask for community service. A lot of times the judge will be more lenient if they see you're WILLING to give up a couple of weekends helping clean up your community.