US ARMY BASIC TRAINING

bigfisch1191

i joind the army reserve as an 88m motor transportation operator and on june 16 i will be leaving for basic training in south carolina, i will be gone for 10 weeks so i wont be on the fourm for awile. im kinda excited and was just wondering if anyone has had any experience, that they would like to share. also lets see who else is/was in the army, gaurd, air force, navy ,cost gaurd , ect.

Edited by bigfisch1191

yes, i hope you enjoy your experience. i joined the army back in 1990. i was just a kid back then. the experience made me better man and stronger person. i was in the army for a total of 14 yrs. i started out an PVT/E-0 and ended my military life CPT/ O-3. i almost skipped college because,i loved the army life so much. but before i joined i did promise my mom that i would finish college. so after basic and AIT, i became a man of my word so i started school.

you will not be the same after the ARMY... it will change you forever. you will either be a better person or NOT! but you will not be the same. the army training will magnify what it is inside of you. like i said, for me ... it was great and i became more and better. but i have some buddies that was not so luck. the army was a big waste of their time. if you ask them ... they may reply that "overall I'm glad I did it". and thats that.

"i'm glad i did it" how can such a profound experience lead to such a bland statement. for me... I lived the commercial dream of the 90's. i learned several new trades, travel the world and US, met alot of great people and also suffered my share of BS. but i would not hesitate to do it all over again. i just wish i was able to stay in until my 20 yr letter for retirement. but life changes and i changed my goals with time. so i got out and resigned my commission.

good luck to you! i wish you the best. the army will make you strong but you will make the army stronger.

Coucoui 6.

(my call sign, as an armor company commander)

Edited by Coucoui6

what part of SC...are you used to 100deg and 80% humidity? if not i'd suggest maybe getting there early to get used to the weather...especially if it's down in Charleston...

I got a friend that is about to go to basic for the navy and he started running doing pushups and all of that jazz...which was good for him b/c he learned he was doing his pushups wrong for their "standard" and had to relearn how to do them and lost about 50% of his capacity

Good luck man. My best friend just got back after a tour of Afeghanestain (spelling?-like I care) & 2 in Iraq (marines though). They won't let him go back though ,cause this last time he was shot through both knees, but now he's a personal trainer & lives the easy life (he got his college degree before he went as well).

Don't be stupid, do what your told & try not to get hurt too badly. Enjoy & hope to talk to you before too long.

i joind the army reserve as an 88m motor transportation operator and on june 16 i will be leaving for basic training in south carolina, i will be gone for 10 weeks so i wont be on the fourm for awile. im kinda excited and was just wondering if anyone has had any experience, that they would like to share. also lets see who else is/was in the army, gaurd, air force, navy ,cost gaurd , ect.

Thats awsome, i was thinking about being a truck driver in teh army cause i LOVE to drive. Anyways sounds like a killer idea, but i might wanna take my chances with "iceroad truckers" HAHA.... Id drive on those roads :shiftyeyes:

Thats awsome, i was thinking about being a truck driver in teh army cause i LOVE to drive. Anyways sounds like a killer idea, but i might wanna take my chances with "iceroad truckers" HAHA.... Id drive on those roads :shiftyeyes:

yea after my senior year when i go to advanced training. i learn to drive anthing with tires humvees 5 ton trucks apcs ect.

and when i get back from basic im gona tell about what happened, on this post

Just try not to draw attention to yourself. The TI's or Drill Instructors will make your life a living hell. Don't fall for the old "who's a good bowler?" trick. They'll make you "latrine queen" (toilet washer). Good luck. Keep you head down and watch your back.

Just try not to draw attention to yourself. The TI's or Drill Instructors will make your life a living hell. Don't fall for the old "who's a good bowler?" trick. They'll make you "latrine queen" (toilet washer). Good luck. Keep you head down and watch your back.

thanks for the advice. i will keep that in mind

I went with the split option in 93'. Basic and AIT during the summer of 94' in Ft. Benning, GA (11Bravo/Infantry). That was an interesting couple of summers. 3 tips:

1)Drink lots! of Water. Beat the heat.

2)Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear. You'll understand later.

3)Stay alert, stay alive.

Oh yeah, and drink lots of water lol.

good luck! :aok:

I went with the split option in 93'. Basic and AIT during the summer of 94' in Ft. Benning, GA (11Bravo/Infantry). That was an interesting couple of summers. 3 tips:

1)Drink lots! of Water. Beat the heat.

2)Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear. You'll understand later.

3)Stay alert, stay alive.

Oh yeah, and drink lots of water lol.

good luck! :aok:

Did Basic at Ft. Jackson also (in '88!-)

Hope you get the starship and not those old barracks on the hill(if they still have them)

You'll learn what makes the grass grow and other catchy phrases! (answer is "blood, blood, blood)

first few days SUCK (hurry up and Wait stuff)

Good luck and hope you like sand!-)

• 1 month later...

Hope it is what you really want!

I spent 4 months in the Navy in 93, completed basic, then got diagnosed with asthema and shipped home. In the years since, I've become really glad that it didn't work out.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...