Got another ride

zonianbrat

So I did not have a ton of time to shop around. But we did find a Ford Explorer. I got such a good deal on it I could not pass it up. Plus Shelby really likes it so now the plan is for me to drive it for awhile then give it to her and I will get myself a big pickup. I am not usually a Ford Fan but this truck is clean and drives really nice surprisingly. Good thing Shelby went with me cause I was about to buy a 30,000 dollar F-150 King Ranch. Then she pulled me to the side and talked some sense into me. I'll take some pics later.

I was about to buy a 30,000 dollar F-150 King Ranch. Then she pulled me to the side and talked some sense into me.

Smart lady you got there. Better hope she keeps you!! Unless you have $ to waste, don't buy new. Even if you go through private finance to get a used (2+years old) vehicle, if you pay a market price, you will still save $.

Buy used with cash, save on insurance (much less the total cost), and spend the rest on you, the family, vacation, etc.

Reliable vehicles are important, new are not. That's just the consumer mentality hype thats blasted at you every day via radio and TV.

Ok, I'm over my rant, but it is true. If you can pay cash, then get a new car. If not, then you are living the american dream of debt and bankruptcy. Harsh, I know, but I've seen too many friends reach too far to soon and fall flat on their face.

Hope the explorer works out for you as long as you need it Bud!! :beer:

B

Smart lady you got there. Better hope she keeps you!! Unless you have $ to waste, don't buy new. Even if you go through private finance to get a used (2+years old) vehicle, if you pay a market price, you will still save $.

Buy used with cash, save on insurance (much less the total cost), and spend the rest on you, the family, vacation, etc.

Reliable vehicles are important, new are not. That's just the consumer mentality hype thats blasted at you every day via radio and TV.

Ok, I'm over my rant, but it is true. If you can pay cash, then get a new car. If not, then you are living the american dream of debt and bankruptcy. Harsh, I know, but I've seen too many friends reach too far to soon and fall flat on their face.

Hope the explorer works out for you as long as you need it Bud!! :beer:

B

Yeah she is a smart lady. I know it would have not been a smart idea right now to buy that truck. It was just really nice and I got all excited about it. All in all this is the smarter decision. And I actually have a frame and solid axle up front!

Isaac,

Sorry we have not had a chance to get together yet. I let my phone die and havent recharged it. Then the last two days I have been sick with the flu that my daughter had. Really sucks shopping for a vehicle when your about to puke all over the place. I will give you a call tomorrow. I am charging my phone

I actually test drove an Exploder when I bought my 93, bigest POS ever....would never go near one no matter the cost. I actually paid double for the Pathy, even though the Ford was in my "cash" range. Hope it does good for you, but, I doubt it will keep you happy.

The one and only thing that bug's me about them is the gangster sag they get in the rear, and ppl tell me its supposed to do that :rolleyes:

Have fun with it :aok:

Uh, how big is the ghetto hoe causing the sag?

So I did not have a ton of time to shop around. But we did find a Ford Explorer. I got such a good deal on it I could not pass it up. Plus Shelby really likes it so now the plan is for me to drive it for awhile then give it to her and I will get myself a big pickup. I am not usually a Ford Fan but this truck is clean and drives really nice surprisingly. Good thing Shelby went with me cause I was about to buy a 30,000 dollar F-150 King Ranch. Then she pulled me to the side and talked some sense into me. I'll take some pics later.

Congrats man :beer:

I have been hearing lately that SUV's are starting to go for well under BB due to people getting rid of them for more fuel efficient sub compacts.

The one and only thing that bug's me about them is the gangster sag they get in the rear, and ppl tell me its supposed to do that :rolleyes:

Have fun with it :aok:

They sag that bad? I have never noticed... One thing to look at next time you see one, if that "sag" is real or an optical illusion. 4Runners (especially the first gen, had that rep to, but the truth is that when new they did not or did very little. What made it look like it was so bad was the fact that the rear fender well was lower than the front :togo:

I actually test drove an Exploder when I bought my 93, bigest POS ever....would never go near one no matter the cost. I actually paid double for the Pathy, even though the Ford was in my "cash" range. Hope it does good for you, but, I doubt it will keep you happy.

Time will tell Grim, so far it drives really good. A heck of alot more power than the Nissan which is nice, More room for the kids and the price was right. Adam does have a point it does sag a little bit in the rear. I'll look into that later.

Red:

I have noticed that SUV's are a bit cheaper too. I have to either have a SUV or pickup for work so this should work out for awhile atleast!

come to think of it they do have some major sag in the back, especially the 1st gen ones(which i am most used to seeing/having to tow) of course they are the ones i am also used to seeing having missing rockers/rotted core supports,quarters, rear spring shackles, front suspension parts(i mean rotted through not surface). no wonder they sit strange around here.....

Adam does have a point it does sag a little bit in the rear. I'll look into that later.

What year is it? I heard that they corrected the problem, or the illusion like red said.

I also heard from a friend who apparantly talked to someone who worked at a ford dealer saying they're supposed to do that so the front end could traverse obstacles better. I have no idea how that makes any senese :wtf: Why not just make the whole truck higher? Cost cutting at it's finest :P

traverse obstacles

They are by no means a vehicle that can leave pavement without A LOT of upgrades. Ford even came out and stated that they are not intended for any off-pavement use.

don't try to rent a trailer from u-haul with it, they won't let you

yer right. we won't. doesn't matter what year it is.

grats brian, hope it serves you well :beer:

And I actually have a frame and solid axle up front!

Um....what? What year is this Explorer?

I'd be VERY surprised to hear it has a solid axle up front, and (depending on the year) I'd suggest you have independent suspension both front and back.

yer right. we won't. doesn't matter what year it is.

grats brian, hope it serves you well :beer:

For what reasons? I've seen uhaul trailer's on exploders before.....

I gotta tell you the truth Slick... uhaul irritates the friggin crap out of me!!! Things they won't allow (like the car dolly I tried to rent once) every other place will. P...

i really dobt as well that there is a solid axle up front(unless swapped in) older ones have the strange twin beam front end and then later went to a more standard ifs