At least Toyota dealing with their rust issues, Nissan sucks!

zack1978

Hey everyone,

Some time ago I posted a thread about the lack of support from Nissan as related to the significant rust issues on the Pathfinders, esp the frame. Some people here felt I was correct while others said it was our faults for not washing out trucks in the winter. I beg to differ as I am the original of my 1995 SE and I always washed it! But the frame had to be basically rebuilt due to the horrible rusting.. Many people here said oh well it's an old truck, it should rust, I say BS!

Well Toyota stepped up to the plate with the Tacoma! They will buy back ANY Tacoma with frame rust for the kbb value, in excellent condition (no matter the actual condition!). My local Toyota dealer has taken in 4 already. That is qualiy service IMHO! What Nissan did to us is steal our hard earned money, but will do nothing to fix the problem! I say class action law suit! Anyone want to join?

Zack

Hey everyone,

Some time ago I posted a thread about the lack of support from Nissan as related to the significant rust issues on the Pathfinders, esp the frame. Some people here felt I was correct while others said it was our faults for not washing out trucks in the winter. I beg to differ as I am the original of my 1995 SE and I always washed it! But the frame had to be basically rebuilt due to the horrible rusting.. Many people here said oh well it's an old truck, it should rust, I say BS!

Well Toyota stepped up to the plate with the Tacoma! They will buy back ANY Tacoma with frame rust for the kbb value, in excellent condition (no matter the actual condition!). My local Toyota dealer has taken in 4 already. That is qualiy service IMHO! What Nissan did to us is steal our hard earned money, but will do nothing to fix the problem! I say class action law suit! Anyone want to join?

Zack

Thats stupid... get a life and stop worrying about this kinda crap. My 92 has been around the rust belt its whole life and its just starting to see some rust. I think going 10 years is plenty on a truck that sees salt.

I live in Texas so I don't have the salt/rust that some of you fellas/ladies do, but I am curious how other makes/models hold up against the rust/salt.

Edit: Because "I'm live in.." doesn't make sense, lol

Edited by LandShark

Yes... So, pray tell how Toyota is handling the rust issues on the 75-95 trucks and 4Runners. Those things rust out so fast it's not even funny. My 82 was rusted out around the top cab corners by the time it was 10.. in rust-free Southern California!!!!

Hint - they're actually doing WORSE than Nissan.

The Tacoma is being bought back because aside from the rust problems, they've had suspension problems, drivetrain problems, electrical problems.... Toyota is in serious danger of losing their customer base with that truck. And the rust issue would be the straw that broke the camel's back for many customers.

FYI, they're only doing it for the 96-up trucks, which are the Tacomas. If you had a 95 Toyota, you'd still be screwed.

Compare like to like, please. The 96-up Pathfinders don't have this problem. The Hardbodies don't seem to have this problem. This is a weirdness of the old WD21 that they've corrected since.

Edited by GhostPath

Yes... So, pray tell how Toyota is handling the rust issues on the 75-95 trucks and 4Runners. Those things rust out so fast it's not even funny. My 82 was rusted out around the top cab corners by the time it was 10.. in rust-free Southern California!!!!

The Tacoma is being bought back because aside from the rust problems, they've had suspension problems, drivetrain problems, electrical problems.... Toyota is in serious danger of losing their customer base with that truck. And the rust issue would be the straw that broke the camel's back for many customers.

FYI, they're only doing it for the 96-up trucks, which are the Tacomas. If you had a 95 Toyota, you'd still be screwed.

Compare like to like, please. The 96-up Pathfinders don't have this problem. The Hardbodies don't seem to have this problem. This is a weirdness of the old WD21 that they've corrected since.

Not true, they are doing it on 95 and up Tacomas. And yes the hardbodies rust the exact same way.

Zack

Thats stupid... get a life and stop worrying about this kinda crap. My 92 has been around the rust belt its whole life and its just starting to see some rust. I think going 10 years is plenty on a truck that sees salt.

What many of you don't seem to understand is that the major frame rust issue only seems to be related to the 1994's and 1995's. The older Path's such as your 92 seem to be ok when it comes to frame rust. In fact I looked at an 1988 Path yesterday that has spent its entire life in the salt of NJ, and not well washed, etc it has NO frame rust at all! They did something different with the 94's and 95's, and it is not good. I am dumbfounded that anyone who dropped almost $30,000 on the Pathfinder new should see this much rust! It is a major safety issue. Nissan is to blame, and they should pay up!

Zack

GREAT they have corrected it since! But what do I do with my rotted frame 95? I spent over $1,000 for the frame to be repaired!

Zack

GREAT they have corrected it since! But what do I do with my rotted frame 95? I spent over $1,000 for the frame to be repaired!

Zack

Well you've already got it repaired, so just cut your losses and do whatever you can to prevent it from rusting again (undercoating, oil sprays)

My 93 has severe frame rot too. But my 95's frame is nearly perfect, except for some minor surface rust in the rear.

I'd LOVE for nissan to buy my 93 off me for the 3000 that it's worth in KBB, but that isn't gonna happen.

What many of you don't seem to understand is that the major frame rust issue only seems to be related to the 1994's and 1995's. The older Path's such as your 92 seem to be ok when it comes to frame rust. In fact I looked at an 1988 Path yesterday that has spent its entire life in the salt of NJ, and not well washed, etc it has NO frame rust at all! They did something different with the 94's and 95's, and it is not good. I am dumbfounded that anyone who dropped almost $30,000 on the Pathfinder new should see this much rust! It is a major safety issue. Nissan is to blame, and they should pay up!

Zack

Um, it's not just 94/95. You need to read the boards more - it's *all* the WD21s.

I have a 90 parts truck that's got frame rot. Here's the pic to prove it.

IMG00159.jpg

If you live anywhere it snows and they use salt on the road, it disintegrates - just like every other Japanese car from the era.

Of course, some of them *won't* disintegrate. Why? Because some dealerships actually *did* do those "undercoating" and "rustproofing" sprays that are so often ripoffs. Others live in dry climates and are less exposed to moisture. This one was from South Carolina; it was a very, very base XE and there's no signs that the thing had *any* treatments at the dealership or that it was ever well cared for. My 90 SE started off life in humid Jackson, MS, kicked around there for a decade, then came to North Texas. While it doesn't have all the options, it DOES clearly have traces of an aftermarket undercoating or rustproofing spray on the undercarriage.

rust_map_500.jpg

Not true, they are doing it on 95 and up Tacomas. And yes the hardbodies rust the exact same way.

Zack

Yeah, I already took the correction on the Hardbody. The Toyotas, though... no. The Tacoma came in out 95 and was really an early release 96 model. There *are* non-Tacoma 95's out there, my schoolmate bought one new my senior year in high school. If you had one of those, it rusted.

Toyota won't do anything about that. Nor will they do anything about the rust on the T100 trucks. You are aware that the Tacoma has been a huge nightmare for Toyota and that they're only doing this to keep people from fleeing to Nissan, right?

Zack

http://www.ziebart.com/

As an owner of British cars, I have little sympathy for you - especially because you should have caught the frame rot before it became too bad - as it is rather obvious. Brit cars like to rust in not-so-obvious places which tends to then kill the car in an irrepairable fashion.

All I'm seeing here is the typical whine - "Something went wrong and it can't be my fault, who can I sue?!" If you do start a class action lawsuit, *I* won't be participating.

Edited by GhostPath

Ghostpath your parts truck may have frame rot but your tires are less bald than mine :hide::shiftyeyes:

Hahaha... I traded those tires and wheels to someone for the 16" wheels and tires that are on my truck now. It's got "street slicks" on it now, so the code enforcement guys stay happy.

This Zack Guy is pissin me off..... My 91 had some frame rot... but I bought some steel and some new grinder disk's, some paint, and filled my oxygen bottle for the tourch... My fraem looks brand new and is stronger than stock. Yotas will never keep up with Nissan quality...

Frame on my parts truck(95wd21)

Edited by 91PathSE

Other way around. *High* quality steel, but thin.

Nissans (and other Japanese vehicles) tend to be made out of much better (read: higher carbon) steel than Detroit used/uses, so for a required strength, they can use less steel. They don't always, but they can.

That said, high-carbon steel will rust out much faster than cheaper low-carbon steel (just ask a good knifemaker), so more rustproofing needs to be applied and more care needs to be taken than with low-carbon vehicles (or knives).

Edited by GhostPath

low quality and thin?? you guys have no clue... our frames are 1/8 inch to 1/8 inch double wall fully boxed. Very very strong, coupled with low carbon steel its flexable and not prone to cracking.

This Zack Guy is pissin me off..... My 91 had some frame rot... but I bought some steel and some new grinder disk's, some paint, and filled my oxygen bottle for the tourch... My fraem looks brand new and is stronger than stock. Yotas will never keep up with Nissan quality...

Frame on my parts truck(95wd21)

You are a riot!

If you are happy with your repaired frame so be it! Again I am the original owner of my Pathfinder, and it is a great truck EXCEPT for the rust! As far as a Toyota v Nissan debate, sad to say Toyota wins! Don't get me wrong I am a strong NIssan fan as well, but............ At the moment I have three NIssans (1996 Maxima, 1995 Pathfinder, 1995 SE-V6 King Cab 4x4). and the rust monster is taking it's toll! And my frame is repaired as well, but that is not the point. IMHO they stole my money!

Zack

Did your rust problem appear before or after your corrosion warranty ran out?

If after, then there's nothing they can or should do about it.

The general sentiment here seems to be against you. If you feel so strongly about it, feel free to pay a lawyer and press your case. And in the meantime, if Toyotas please you so well, please sell your Nissans and buy Toyotas instead - that way the rest of us don't have to hear your complaining.

Edited by GhostPath

Did your rust problem appear before or after your corrosion warranty ran out?

If after, then there's nothing they can or should do about it.

The general sentiment here seems to be against you. If you feel so strongly about it, feel free to pay a lawyer and press your case. And in the meantime, if Toyotas please you so well, please sell your Nissans and buy Toyotas instead - that way the rest of us don't have to hear your complaining.

Very true, if you are happy with your rust buckets then so be it. I for one am not!

Zack

PS: The actual Pathfinder is great, except for the rust

I think your absolutely correct, Zack! Although it is kind of late for a class action suit! I have a '95 with 125,000 miles and it is rusting to sh)t! I have rust underneath my rear seat(a hole)around my rear windows, little spots showing up in front! I will probably have to junk it eventually due to rust not engine failure! Too late to do anything!!!!! And I am retired at 55 due to spine surgery and live on a fixed income, so rebuilding the frame is out of the question!!

I read about the rusty frame issue after we bought our 91 a few weeks back and my hart just sank. When I read about it, it was still early morning and the sun was not out yet so I was under the pathfinder with flashlights and work lights looking for any signs of rust. I couldn't find nothing at all so when it hit 8 a.m. I took it into my buddies muffler shop and checked it out on a hoist and we both searched to find nothing but then he pointed out the Ziebarts rust proofing decal's. I was a very happy camper but with all these people that have rust issues that bought them brand new why wouldn't you have got the rust proofing package?

I myself had both my 05 and 06 Toyota's done when they were brand new cause they are Japanese cars and you just gotta know that it takes a little more care with them than the American counterparts to make the bodies last.