switching oil from castrol to royal purple

hey whats up gotta 01 pathy with 141,000 its time for a oil change and i was thinking about going synthetic. i know some of you have probably done this. Is there anything specific that i need to do short of draining old oil and changing filter. also has anyone had any problems from their pathy from switching to synthetic. one last question. is royal purple good any other suggestions thanks

What are your expectations for running synthetic vs regular oil, and what leads you towards using Royal Purple vs other synthetics such as Mobil1, Amsoil, and Redline?

to tell you the truth i havent done much research on brands but that was the first brand that came to mind since i watch powerblock every weekend. but they showed it gave some hp and torque increase

I actually don't know that much about Royal Purple. If all you're looking for is a performance advantage, just about any synthetic will probably help a little. In fact, if you run a slightly lower viscosity (5W-20), that could also help. If you plan to extend your oil change intervals, I would recommend Amsoil.

The best thing to do is visit the forums at bobistheoilguy.com and start your research to decide which synthetic brand suits your budget and needs best.

FWIW, I have run Mobil1 synthetic in my truck for quite a while.

one thing to think about... synthetics do a great job of cleaning and unsticking things, which usually for the most part is good. but one common problem with switching over in a high milege vehicle is that some of the guck to get cleaned may be the only thing holding some of your seals and gaskets together. not always a problem, but just be prepared for the possibility that you will have to start resealing your engine just a bit sooner.

as far as brands, most of the name brands are just about the same. personally i think stuff like royal purple are more gimick than anything... but thats just me.

yeah the only thing that i was going off of for royal purple is on horse power on the powerblock they did a dyno test with reg. oil and then with royal purple and it did improve hp and torque

I change the engine oil on my '98 every 10,000 Km (about 6,000 miles). About 6 months ago I switched from dino oil to Castrol Semi Synthetic 10W-30. I think I had about 130,000 Km when I switched (about 81,000 Miles). I didn't have any leaking problems, but honestly, I did not notice much of a difference either.

Then, a couple of weeks ago I switched to Castrol Fully Synthetic 10W-30, right at about 150,000 Km (about 93,000 Miles). I swear it made a significant difference in a couple of ways. First, the engine seems to start up smoother in the morning, as if the oil is flowing quicker inside the engine during startup (no valve clatter). Also, the engine used to make some faint ticking or clattering noise when under heavy load, specially under a high gear with low RPMs, and the sound is now almost completely gone. Also, the engine seems to have a little bit of more whomp, maybe a couple of extra HP. No leaking or consumption of oil so far, but it’s only been a couple of weeks.

By the way, I also put Red Line synthetic oil in my rear differential about the same time I switched to Semi Synthetic, and I am planning on also putting Red Line in the front differential, transmission and transfer case next time I change the oil in those, which should be soon.

especially for the price, i would just use mobil 1 or something that has already been said, i used to have a 98 maxima that had a couple things done to it and i ran royal in that, spendy stuff and i had to order it by the case which was always fun :) but for a truck i wouldnt see the purpose unless your going to be running some 4x4 rally or something. i use mobil 1 syn in my 02 and love it.

I switched my wd21 (at 228,700km at the time of the change) over to Mobil 1 full synthetic 5w50, yes 5w50, 3000 km ago and its still full on the dipstick. The valve tapping is gone on startup unless its like -30 out which i don't blame it. Also my mpg went up, throttle response is better, and I swear it even sounds smoother, especially on acceleration.

i just put SYNpower in my F/R diffs and semi/syn engine oil two weeks ago and no probs here. I wanted to use syn in my tranny and t-case but couldn't find syn DEX/MERC tranny fluid and didnt want to wait on having some shipped.

5w50 huh? whats your climate swing up there? wonder how that would fly in a 3.5?

These days it can range from -40 to +10 celcius. :crazy: weather

My dad also has it in his vg 3.3 r50