Bad Fuel economy?

BobLoblaw

Hey guys,

this is my first winter with my Pathy (94 XE Standard Trans) and I have noticed that I'm getting some, in my mind, pretty bad gas mileage. I'm getting roughly 200-250KM's per tank - and that's pushing it. What could be causing this poor fuel economy. It's been running great, no hard starts or anything. I've read a few places that it could be the o2 sensor. Where is the o2 sensor and which type should I use to replace?

Maybe all pathy's are just bad on fuel and I don't know, but I don't think they can be this bad.

Thanks

Edited by BobLoblaw

well, i dunno how far a KM is, but i know all pathy's get pretty crap gas mileage (14-19mpg)... and i know i USED to get 300-325 miles out of a tank of gas......... now i'm lucky if i get 280 :rant2:

all highway driving i'd get between 18 and 21 to the gallon (21 being at like 55mph constant) around town it was like 15-17mpg

and depending on where you are couldnt detergents that keep the gas from freezing cause you to get less mileage? I may be pulling that out of my ass but I thought I saw a show or someone talking about it or something...

I've heard the amount of ethanol in the mixture can cause bad mileage, dont know if any truth behind it. I've always noticed lesser mileage with "winter mix" gasoline. But a few things you could check would be tire pressure, air filter, injectors, etc. If it were an O2 sensor I believe you would see an MIL (malfunction indicator light) or check engine light. Not sure because I've only had my pathy for like a month. Best of luck to ya.

This year Spokane County is not requiring Oxygenated Gas, and im still getting 19-21 mpg.... When they run the Oxygenated gas ill drop down to 15-16 mpg...

You may also want to check your codes from the ECU and see if its thowing any codes back at you....

My 1990 Pathy will get about 24-27 mpg highway at a constant 65 mph once I lock in everything and activate cruise...

I have slightly oversize tires though (diameter is a little bigger than stock) and according to the laws of physics... yeah, you guys know that already...

Uhm... i also have a brand new air/fuel/oil filter, pcv valve, and other stuff...

Though, lately... I've dropped to about 16 mpg no matter what :( it makes me VERY sad... but I think my tranny is a little mucked up (plan to attempt a rebuild come summer and am looking at a new cooler ASAP) plus wintermix gas, plus my spark plugs are WAY old...

My 1990 Pathy will get about 24-27 mpg highway at a constant 65 mph once I lock in everything and activate cruise...

I have slightly oversize tires though (diameter is a little bigger than stock) and according to the laws of physics... yeah, you guys know that already...

Uhm... i also have a brand new air/fuel/oil filter, pcv valve, and other stuff...

Though, lately... I've dropped to about 16 mpg no matter what :( it makes me VERY sad... but I think my tranny is a little mucked up (plan to attempt a rebuild come summer and am looking at a new cooler ASAP) plus wintermix gas, plus my spark plugs are WAY old...

im getting anywhere in between 15-20 mpg right now, as when it snows, the mileage goes out the window, because of the idiots on the highway who can't pick a constant speed in bad weather i don't care if its 50kmh or 100kmh just keep it the same.

also if you idle a lot at traffic lights, it eats up ALOT of gas. Also, i find that if i start it up let it run for a minute and jump on the highway, the mileage will suck but if i take a non 400 series highway for a bit then jump on to one it gets way better mpg. I think this is because it won't go into the final overdrive stage until its warmed up, i don't know if its normal or not but thats how it is on mine.

With everything I have done to mine, I'm still only getting like 325 all highway miles.

only

i belive the 88 nissan pathfinder has a 20 gal tank and i filled it up on my last 4x4 trip and got like 175 miles on it but usualy i get like 225 so im around 10mpg

Bob,

That's pretty low. You should be getting more than that out of her. Currently, mine's running around the same, and, even though I don't have a code, I'm going to change the O2 sensor next.....as I'm 99% sure it's the original one on the truck. If you haven't solved your issue by then, I'll report back with my findings.

I've had my 94 recently tuned up, new fuel filter, O2 sensor, TPS, air filter's clean, and I have never got above 15.5 mpg. I don't know what's wrong with mine though, as I've had bad idling problems that get "fixed" and then mess up a few months down the road.

• 2 weeks later...
Check for a clogged catalytic converter or a dead coolant temperature sensor. Those won't set codes.

Yeah, I'm still having the problem. I filled up yesterday with 210KM on the odometer ($62- cha-ching!). This is the worst fuel economy I have seen. My 1981 280zx gets double that (a straight 6 engine), no problem, and I drive it way harder than my Pathy. I just don't get it.

What should I replace first? O2 sensor? Spark plugs (they look alright tho)? I'm not too good with those computer codes, although I don't see any blinking lights on the ECM. I should be getting (my estimate) about 300-350KM per tank. Wheels are stock, as is the engine.

I really need guidance on this one. It's costing me a fortune!

I get about 15mpg if my calculations are correct. That usually means no more than 400km/tank. I'm going to do some work when it warms up (change the plugs, maybe new wires, fuel filter, etc), that might boost my mileage a few points.

Edited by LD50

I get 12.5 MPG with my 95L

I gotta find that coolant temp sensor.

I replaced a few rotten cracked vaccum hoses, could a leaky one cause bad gas mileage

Where is the coolant temp sensor and how much is it to replace? Do you guys have part numbers for NGK wires and plugs (those are the best for Nissan's right - they are on my 280zx). What about a part number for the o2 sensor? Is it in a easy or hard location to change?

• 3 weeks later...

I was getting 11mpg before I replaced my clogged up CAT, and my bad O2 sensor.

O2 sensor was like $25 from some guy on Ebay. Works sweet. CAT... I had a mechanic put it in and he soaked me ($300 for the part!)

Then it went up to like 15mpg.

A couple months ago I did an oil change just before a road trip, and tossed in a bottle of Lucas oil treatment. I got 19mpg! I was blown away! A couple tanks of gas later, I was back down to 15.

I'm gonna check all my vacuum lines and stuff to see if I can't clean it up a bit.

Ditto on Lucas products.

I use the fuel injection cleaner by lucas and the truck rides and sounds great. I did use the oil treatment also. I get about 17mpg (4x4 / AT)

I was getting 11mpg before I replaced my clogged up CAT, and my bad O2 sensor.

O2 sensor was like $25 from some guy on Ebay. Works sweet. CAT... I had a mechanic put it in and he soaked me ($300 for the part!)

Then it went up to like 15mpg.

A couple months ago I did an oil change just before a road trip, and tossed in a bottle of Lucas oil treatment. I got 19mpg! I was blown away! A couple tanks of gas later, I was back down to 15.

I'm gonna check all my vacuum lines and stuff to see if I can't clean it up a bit.