SAS

Soccerstudd5

Well, I really don't know anything about that. Anyone have a link to some pics or someone provides some more info on that subject? I am definately interested on something with little fab work that is easy. and $2k is about the top that I would be willing top spend on this whole thing. Thanks for all the help so far.... I've been looking at D44's on ebay now as well and my dad likes the idea... so this maybe something I actually get to do :jig: I don't know what I'd do without this site.... THANKS ALL!!!!

Check other sites like Ronin.com, nissan4wheelers.com for more info on Sas's. Search these sites as they have a ton of info. Probably keep you pretty busy. You will most likely find out you will change your mind a 1000 times on how you want to do your build. :D - but the more you learn, the more you will dial in your needs.

There are a lot of misc items that will nickel and dime you through out the project. Brake lines, new front Drive shafts, shocks, rebuild kits, new tools, shocks, and a ton of other stuff. Just something to keep in mind for the budget minded person.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The All-Pro kit i used was the SAS 3-link for the Tacomas.

The article i wrote that was posted has most of what you need to know for what you need.

And you acutally don't use all the parts from the Tacoma. there is a new crossmember that the toyotas need that the pathy doesn't need and also i used hoops instad of the coilover buckets that come with the kit to mount the coilovers on the frame side. The coilover buckets and the crossmember that is not needed don't need to be purchased as part of the kit so it's acutally a little cheaper than the Tacoma SAS kit. I can get All-Pro products which will be going up on the website for sale soon. so if you need anything from them let me know!

If anyone is considering using this kit on a pathy, let me know so i can help you out or give you a few pointers PM me if you need me to give you a call or need my number. i also have a few changes that i would recomend that were not mentioned in the article that came about after the article was written which will be covered inthe next article i write (yes, there is another one on the way!) some changes to help maintain road manners. and a few to help with a few very minor clearance issues that came about after i got the coilovers dialed in. it's not bad and atleast i can tell you about them before you get the truck together then have to tear it back appart!!

and i agree with mookie, things will nickel and dime you sometimes even quarter you ha. but just do your research for what you want to do just like he said.

Off-road my truck flexes extremely well.

Here it is in action:

l_92cb8a5b51eb5a1111aa768bc998d185.jpg

l_99a1271634dc6473c1272dfe61108ec2.jpg

l_3b916af99089aa80a5e3f4088c44ad93.jpg

l_36fb2c0f4493bff38ec173101da3eac2.jpg

l_0a66fa35b2c80176ad235ecf24659e9d.jpg

Edited by SteeevO

Ah, alrighty... I knew the SAS to be the British Special Air Service XD

Next question - what's it do? I'll try googling it, but I think you guys could give me a much better explanation.

Basically you remove the IFS from the truck and install a solid axle, like what many jeeps have, so you can get more lift and flex, and therefore, traverse greater obstacles. :aok:

let me know what dealer casue ive called about 4 and all the parts guys are like nope doesnt exist. and i tell them to check again and there like nope, but we have an lsd, and im like i dont wanna lsd

let me know what dealer casue ive called about 4 and all the parts guys are like nope doesnt exist. and i tell them to check again and there like nope, but we have an lsd, and im like i dont wanna lsd

From Yotah8r on NOAS:

The only place to get them is from a NISMO dealer. In my case, I went to my local Nissan dealer that I always deal with. Got just a good of price from them as from AC. Actually better, since I didn't pay shipping. The NISMO warehouse, that is in Tenn. now, had one set of my gears in stock. They had to get the other set shipped from Japan. The NISMO warehouse places an order with Japan, they in turn sent orders to Chicago ( don't know why neither does Nissan dealer ), from there they get sent to Tenn. No one apparently knows where in the Sam silly hell anything is until it gets to the warehouse. And, no returns on special order parts.

So I guess your local Dealer parts counter needs to be a NISMO dealer also in order to order them. :shrug:

an easy way to re-gear without spending too much money.

4.9:1 gears from an exterra to go into the stock rear

4.88:1 gears for the D44.

There will not be any issue with the differance

It would be better to go to 5.38's but for the nissan axle its very expensive. (if at all possible, i know you can get 5.13)

I've never heard of a H233b. What did those come on and are they stronger than the D44 and/or a better choice?

OK, stop what you are doing.

I am not one to flame and or not give advice where necessary, but honestly, You are talking about doing a SOLID AXLE SWAP in a nissan truck, you don't even know what rear end is in it stock. In all good concious, I cannot condone YOU doing this swap. Make sure you get a professional to do it.

Also, a H233B is NOT as strong as a 9". Its close to the same, but not quite.

Also, a H233B is NOT as strong as a 9". Its close to the same, but not quite.

That is all dependant on the housing etc. for the 9", there are so many different 9" variations that a general better or worse doesn't apply. :togo:

Well I didn't plan on doing it myself, I know someone who could do it for me. I hvaen't done much research on my pathy to see what rear end is under it, as that wasn't my main concern, but that doesn't mean I don't know anything about suspensions in general. I know a some, but most of what I'm knowledgable in the older domestic vehicles that were much more simple. And I am one that if I'm going to do something, I'm going to make sure it is done right.... whether that means I can do it or need someone else to do it for me. Thanks for the concern though.

Basically you remove the IFS from the truck and install a solid axle, like what many jeeps have, so you can get more lift and flex, and therefore, traverse greater obstacles. :aok:

It's also much easier to get massive amounts of lift with less effort and cost than an IFS.

On the down side, it will noticeably degrade on road handling (kinda makes it handle like a jeep...) and you lose ground clearance under the differential.

So make sure the advantages outweigh the disadvantages for YOU before proceeding. And your results will depend HEAVILY on the skills of whoever does it. DO NOT trust it to some yahoo with a sledgehammer, cuttin' torch, buzz box, and a NASCAR hat.

It's also much easier to get massive amounts of lift with less effort and cost than an IFS.

On the down side, it will noticeably degrade on road handling (kinda makes it handle like a jeep...) and you lose ground clearance under the differential.

So make sure the advantages outweigh the disadvantages for YOU before proceeding. And your results will depend HEAVILY on the skills of whoever does it. DO NOT trust it to some yahoo with a sledgehammer, cuttin' torch, buzz box, and a NASCAR hat.

Handle like a jeep? I'm never sas'ing my pathy. The IFS is just fine for what I do.

and with the h233b being stronger than a 9inch both have advantages and disadvantages, the h233b has a 9.25 inch ring gear, so what, you cant get chromoly shafts for the h233b (or any upgraded shafts like you can in the 9 inch....)

so basically i will state my opinion that the h233b out of the box is a great axle. But once out of the box it literally has very few and still diminishing after market options.

yes but i forget the measurement of the D44 shafts where they neck down (towards the end near the splines) which is where everyone snaps them. so basically you can only count that diameter since it is the smallest on the axle....

BUT, i am not arguing otherwise just pointing that fact out.

and Steve, are you kidding? are you looking into getting some beefed up shafts for your H233b?