SAS

Soccerstudd5

I'm toying with the idea of doing a SAS but am curious as to what axles would fit. I know some have used Dana's and even shortened a Dana 44. But could it be as simple as getting a (not limited to, but just an option) jeep cherokee front axle and putting it under the pathy's? I'm not real sure what all has to go into picking the right axle other than of course width and spline count and stability. Please throw any thoughts, opinions, or suggestions out there and I'm sure we'll come to some kind of conclusion. TIA!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rockwells. 2.5 ton.. there is no other.

But ok. what you want is a pre80 waggy front end (LP D44). width is the same, lug pattern is the same. and you can get gears that will be close enough to match your H233B.

The other option is Early bronco, but you will have oil pan clearnce problems, and they are 5 x 5.5 lug pattern and hard to find since you'll want disk brakes and that means 76 or 77.

Hou could go Full width, in that case you have to change both front and rear axles.

Ok, where would I be able to find rockwells? And what's the downside of jeep axles? Purchased at a JY would save a TON of $$$.....

You must have not read the whole post.. I was joking about the rockwells. Unless you ar going to run 44"+ tires.

OK, the jeep axle is a good boat anchor. But make sure when you throw it overboard to cut your line and leave it down there cause its not worth pulling back up.

the D30 /D35 is garbage. There is a reason that everybody upgrades Jeep axles.

I personnally have a HP D44 up front wich is stronger than a jeep axle (D30/D35) And i have busted 2 stock shafts, 1 chrome-Moly shaft, 1 Full detroit locker.

anymore questions?

Edited by 87pathy

So D44's from a wagoneer wouldn't require any modifying of the actual axle right? And I did misread your post... sorry. I've just found a couple of jeeps for sale that don't run that have D44's on the front and rear and am thinking it's worth the 800 for the setup... any suggestions? And I know this is an extensive process... but does anyone have any estimates of possible labor costs or just overall costs? That could be the make it or break it factor for me. Thanks again for all the insight!

Expect to rebuild an axle for at least $1k. more if you do upgrades like lockers, chromoly shafts, etc. I'd much prefer to have an ARB or OX locker up front since it's so hard to steer when it's locked. research research research. As with any project, expect to have a lot of down time and lots of money spent. Also suspension setup, leafs, spring under or over, 3 link or 4 link, or extended links (long-arm). driveshafts, driveshaft clearance, exhaust clearance, gas tank clearance....etc etc. Kinda OT but oh well...

www.nissannut.com

If I don't know enough about it, would it be in my best interest to pay someone to do it? Obviously, that's just more money, but it could be done quicker and if something goes wrong, it's not my fault, lol. I know someone who could do it, so it's someone I would trust. Thanks for all the info guys, it's been VERY helpful!

Ah, alrighty... I knew the SAS to be the British Special Air Service XD

Next question - what's it do? I'll try googling it, but I think you guys could give me a much better explanation.

Edited by Kittamaru

With a 79 jeep 2 door wagon, (assuming all parts needed are in good condition) would I have just about everything I need? Or would there still be a LOT of extra's? It has D44's front and rear, but I would just do the front for now.

(Don't know how to post a pic without a website or I'd show it to you)

I can't remember what year is what.. but on the Waggy's its either PRE -1980 or post 1980, that they changed from Drivers drop to passengers drop. or vise versa. You want a drivers side drop Jeep waggoneer Front D44. get the leaf springs from it as well. They should work just fine.

all the other stuff is fab work.

With a 79 jeep 2 door wagon, (assuming all parts needed are in good condition) would I have just about everything I need? Or would there still be a LOT of extra's? It has D44's front and rear, but I would just do the front for now.

(Don't know how to post a pic without a website or I'd show it to you)

The '79 will most likely be drivers side drop. *Edit* - Oops, I meant to say passenger side drop . Sorry 'bout that.

There will be more extras as you go along. Are you using part of the D21 kit, or having someone do the fabbing?

I would have someone else do it I'm sure. I'm still not sure if I'm going to go through with this or not, just an idea I'm entertaining for now. Would $800 be a good deal for an old jeep with a little rust if I'm only looking at it for the axles and suspension? Or could I find what I need somewhere else for cheaper?

okay im in the process of gathering parts right now and i have been for about a year. i already have an 82 waggy axle drivers drop, front gears, front leaf springs, warn manual hubs, and a buncha other parts. DO NOT GET A VACUM DISCO axle, it can be done but way more converting, not worth it at all. If you plan on doing it right no shortcuts expect to spend over 2 grand easy. If you leave the nissan rear axle expect to pay a ton in gears as only ac offers them. you can get all the mounting hardware from calmini.com but thats gonna be about 500 bucks for it all. rear gears are 500. and your paying 800 for your axle. plus regear for the front and various parts you have to replace your already talking 2 grand in parts before its even on your pathy. i got my axle for 150 off craigslist. im about 1 grand in parts in and i have gotten rear sprigns, rear gears, havent decided how im doing the front driveshaft, need brake lines, and various other things like that. Thats not to mention the cost of tires when your done im either gonna be runnin 35 or 37's. and i have takin my time fiding parts to get the best deals. for example im picked up a set of brand new rancho rs44044 leaf springs (front 4 inch lift for waggy) for 100 bucks plus 20 for shippign off ebay. they are normally 150 a piece. just consider what you want to do with the truck how much time and money you have to put in to it.

Ok, thanks. I'll guess I'll pass on this wagon and wait for a better deal. I plan on going to the junk yeard soon and checking for one there. I'm selling my other car and I live in Oklahoma where that ice storm hit and have been doing tree work, so I can afford to do a couple of fun things finally without going broke. Thanks for all the help, and if anyone's interested in a 79 Jeep wagon with D44 front and rear... here's the link.

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/car/532227504.html

if you have the $$ (about $2k) why not go with the new 3 link set up steeveO has? very SCHWEEEEEEEEET, VERY little fab work, almost a direct bolt on, and if oyu go on his rugged rocks off road site...... you'll see it in action :jig:

Well, I really don't know anything about that. Anyone have a link to some pics or someone provides some more info on that subject? I am definately interested on something with little fab work that is easy. and $2k is about the top that I would be willing top spend on this whole thing. Thanks for all the help so far.... I've been looking at D44's on ebay now as well and my dad likes the idea... so this maybe something I actually get to do :jig: I don't know what I'd do without this site.... THANKS ALL!!!!