Gel Cell Battery

rod_b

Anyone know of lower cost alternative to Optima batteries. I've read Napa and Walmart have house brands but I can't find any info on them.

I assume you mean a lower cost alternative that has similar characteristics as an Optima? Check out Exide Orbital batteries.

From optima website:

A gel battery is typically a modification of a conventional lead-acid automotive or marine battery. A gelling agent is added to the electrolyte to reduce movement inside the battery case. OPTIMA spiral batteries are able to deliver and receive higher amperages than gel cell batteries, due to the much higher internal resistance of gel batteries. Most gel batteries cannot handle engine starting duties, but OPTIMA Deep Cycle batteries excel in such applications.

Personally I just use the cheapest $70 battery (Interstate) and i have no problems. My OEM Nissan battery just hit the death bed at 135k miles.

optima is great. :)

The best thing about an optima Is the lack of corrosion on the the battery terminals, and battery compartment. My battery tray is all rusted out due to the years use of a non-sealed battery.

Mark

nah, the best part is that you can install it upside down, if you so wish. :D :D

Upside down in a battery tray.. No Way!!.. the posts would short out against the battery tray! (I know what you meant)

I will be mounting mine on their side, As soon as I get the steel to build my battery box for my battery relocation project.

Mark

Try Sam's club if you have one around. They seem to be the best priced. Red top for like $123.00. Yellow top for $160.00.

Also you can try Four Wheel Parts. I have been purchasing alot of stuff from them lately and they have just been blowing everyones prices out of the water and offer free shipping. Give them a call they will beat internet pricing over the phone.

Try Sam's club if you have one around. They seem to be the best priced. Red top for like $123.00. Yellow top for $160.00.

Also you can try Four Wheel Parts. I have been purchasing alot of stuff from them lately and they have just been blowing everyones prices out of the water and offer free shipping. Give them a call they will beat internet pricing over the phone.

also If you know somone that works for a car dealership that sells acessories have them price the optima for you. I work for a chevrolet dealership and got my optima redtop for $115.00. It was too good a deal to pass up as as i was going to use a Sears Diehard SUV battery for 140.00 before I found the deal I get @ work.

I've heard of some people having trouble with their optima red-tops. I am not even truly sure what the advantage is of them besides that they can take a beating or are more rugged. I have a auto-lite (I think) battery that has gone dead atleast 6 times since I have owned the truck. Lasted me 3 1/2 pretty cold winters with no problems and has been bounced around quite a bit when I have gone 4-wheelin even though it has been awhile. I eventually strapped the battery down so it would not bounce so much. I dont have a problem with corrosion on the terminals or underneath the battery. Like I said atleast 6 times I have had to jump it due to either my wife or I leaving the lights on!! It just starts right up and never gives me any problems I have had the truck for 4 1/2 yrs. And when I got it I remember looking at the battery and thinking man it looks like it is atleast a couple of years old. So until I am wheelin alot more I will stick with my standard batteries and save a little $$. Just my .02