A sad day for the Pathfinder

zonianbrat

Tell them to put their gas tank in the middle, chop 4" off the height of their roof, and switch to coils and they might be able to keep up :laugh:

LOL :clap:

I'll have to use that one. I like to joke with them that I drive a 1st generation Xterra! :tongue:

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, before my lunch is over, I figured I would ring in. Im going to use my Wheeling Big Homie video as the example. Two mildly built vehicles going up the same trail. I go up first then the Jeep. I am by no means a expert at off-roading, but I can read a trail pretty well(well, as Ive been told). Rig or Driver?

(See the vid in the Members rides section)

X2 to what 02 said!

I am glad this thread is back up and running. Thanks Moderators and Administrator 88! You guys deserve a raise...

I went into town the other day and i saw a white R51 pathfinder in the workmans warehouse parking lot and it was lifted on some big wheels and tires. I'd have to say it must have been atleast 4" of lift. I did not get close enough to see what size tires he was running but they were pretty aggressive with some minor bling wheels too. It looked dam good. I do not like the way they look stock but when they are lifted with some beefy tires they look good.

On the R51. SkinnyPedal owns one, in addition to his WD21. He's had it off road a couple of times, and he said the same thing, that the VDC is a real pain in the ass. He hates the thing off road.

If there was a way to completely disable it, there may be some hope for the R51.

On the R51. SkinnyPedal owns one, in addition to his WD21. He's had it off road a couple of times, and he said the same thing, that the VDC is a real pain in the ass. He hates the thing off road.

If there was a way to completely disable it, there may be some hope for the R51.

Pull the fuse? But I guess then the computer with complain and throw up some kinds of error light.

I find my wd21 to be really light in the back, like in snow, i can hardly get anywhere without the 4wd, I think the carrier weighs the rear down, as my old one has more traction in 2wd.

I don't think so, its an XE and my other one is an SE. But I didn't think all the SE's had the lsd. The se does have disk brakes though, someone told me that on pathfinders if i have the disk brakes generally you'll have the lsd, but who knows.

Its wierd because my friend was watching me, and sometimes in 2wd both rear tires would spin, sometimes only one, and then in 4wd on ice, all 4 spun

I usually do anyways for gas mileage :laugh: , cause they thew on some roughrider radial AP tires on the back to pass safety, they have lots of tread left, but they suck. The fronts are goodyear wrangler radials and the treads a lot better. I'm gunna switch them up if i can find the time.

Tires make a world of difference on these things I think. The r50 sucked in the winter with the bfg long trails, but with the revo's, its like saying to bad winter everytime i drive it. :lol:

The only time I find that I have a lot of trouble is when the snow is packed down, and it turns really hard, thats where I've gotten stuck. Just a pita to go underneath and pull her into 4x4 :lmao:

Just a thought. How much $$ do you think Nissan could make if they did bring the patrol over here?

I think they could have saved milions in production tooling etc. if they would have brought a Patrol here rather than create the Armada. Not to mention the actual sales. They could have had the Nissan and an Infinity variant and gone after the Land Cruiser and it's Lexus varitant and still been in the Tahoe range of vehicle. Trying to go after Suburbans was a piss poor idea I think.

Guess that's just our luck, Nissan hates Americans I guess.... :shrug:

Amen to that brother - I am still waiting for the day somebody figures it out. I am also finding it a pain in the butt in the snow - I have to turn it off even when in 2wd as it is horribly unpredictable. Of course, even when the VDC is disabled, you still have the goofy traction control, which is the real problem when off road.

Amen to that brother - I am still waiting for the day somebody figures it out. I am also finding it a pain in the butt in the snow - I have to turn it off even when in 2wd as it is horribly unpredictable. Of course, even when the VDC is disabled, you still have the goofy traction control, which is the real problem when off road.

Basically, they are trying to tell you you don't know how to drive. :togo:

I think the main problem with Nissan not marketing the Patrol over here in the States, is that we have far to many paved and easily passable roads, highways, and interstates. If people "needed" a vehicle that performs when the conditions get bad and they still had to get from point A to point B in order to survive I'm sure Jeep would make a good(out of the box) offroad vehicle and Nissan would import the Almighty Patrol.

Bottom line is that the IFS performs better in most aspects of road handling. Smoother, better cornering, and a "car like ride."

I think the main problem with Nissan not marketing the Patrol over here in the States, is that we have far to many paved and easily passable roads, highways, and interstates. If people "needed" a vehicle that performs when the conditions get bad and they still had to get from point A to point B in order to survive I'm sure Jeep would make a good(out of the box) offroad vehicle and Nissan would import the Almighty Patrol.

Bottom line is that the IFS performs better in most aspects of road handling. Smoother, better cornering, and a "car like ride."

i'm guessing you haven't been much outside of TX, eh? ;):D

Read that article.

The pathfinder would probably not be Nissans 1st choice for that test. But only new or revised models could compete.

Not sure but the Xterra has probably not changed much if at all in the last few years.

Nissan should at least offer an off-road package.

Speaking of magazine articles.......

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/featuredvehic...cles/index.html

Check out this great looking Pathy in this cheap junk :rolleyes: hunter article.

Anyones here?

The pathfinder in the pic on the 4wheeloffroad site belongs to an emplyee of Advance Adapters and that pic was taken in the advance adapters parking lot.

The truck has since been rolled and no longer operable :stickwack:

ok so i just read all 4 pages and there is alot of topics in here. but as far as driving in the snow goes my 1988 nissan pathfinder SE does great, we had a snow storm a few days ago and i decided to drive up to a local 4x4/hunting/camping/partying/loging area and when i left my house there was about 6inches of snow and ice when i got to the mts there was about 2 feet of snow and it was still in 2 wheel drive. but then i got to a down tree and decided to drive over it and from then on i was in 4x4. but when i finaly got to the base of the 4x4trail there was about 3 feet of snow and i i decided not to go up the trail because i was alone. but the hole time the pathfinder did great. but on a side note a few days ago i put it in 4x4 and drove around in a Circle on pavement the rear end was jerking like a posi?

Yeah, you don't want to do that. That's a quick way to test the 4wd system, but used like that for any length of time, you'll break something. What you were feeling was the tcase binding up on itself, as the front and rear wheels spun at different speeds.

There really aren't many (if any) true to their off road roots vehicles on the roads in the states. Sure everybody will claim that theirs performs admirably against anything they throw at it, but the truth of the matter is, soccer mom's buy FJ Cruisers, with locking diffs. and all, sports "heroes" drive H1's all dubbed out, Heeps are a joke (and recently becoming somewhat of a bling-mobile, at least that's what guys around me are doing) and, with the exception of MAYBE the Xterra, Nissan doesn't make a U.S. vehicle that's MADE for trails and not pavement. There's no market for them here. We have interstates with asphalt, not mud highways like the ones Iron Locust posts pictures of. The majority of people will never make it to Moab, and think hitting the spillway puddle on their lunch breaks and splashing a bit of mud on their doors is "off roading." Some vehicles are just inherently more capable than others from the factory.

For what the average overweight, in-debt, 2 car garage owning American father of two kids who are addicted to video games uses the R51 Pathfinder for, it's perfect; pulling a trailer once in a while, shuttling the kids to friends houses, and hitting that familiar spillway mud puddle.

I've wheeled the hell out of my 94 WD21, and have recieved props from many rigs, Nissans, Toyota's, Chevy's, built Sheep and such. My previous 4x4 rig was a Nissan 720, which I also ran and used the hell out of. I've run dirt, mud, water over the hood. I've chased a lifted Rubicon in the sand dunes near Ocean Shores, WA, until I buried the front up the frame. Of course, I backed out, corrected and followed through, and he was pretty amazed. Fire roads, ski resorts, forest service trails and such. This old truck has got me through some serious muck and stuff. And yes, its still a grocery getter if I need, never seen a trailer (yep, seen the back of a tow truck a couple times though), its been beat to hell and polished back to shine, tires ripped and shredded here and there, parts broken and replaced. I'm a firm supporter that its driver skill, experience, and of course equipment. I've made it through some stuff early on where the truck saved me, but more and more with experience, I'm sure I can put the truck and its assets in a better situation and get to better places than most people on the trail.

Why do people get so defensive about their rigs? Yep, its an 19XX/20XX beast or miniBeast, body-on-frame or unibody, whatever. Its suits your use. Why whine who drives what, especially within a global brand, one which already gets limited aftermarket and media support as it is. Can't we all just get along? ;)