Brand Spanking new Rear bumper/Tire Carrier

Simon

It was a long day. No...sorry....let me rephrase.

It was a LONG, LONG, LONG day. 17.5 hours spent at the master's shop. Research, design, fabrication and implementation.

Started with this:

IMG_1630.jpg

And this:

IMG_1642.jpg

and turned them into this:

IMG_1945.jpg

this:

IMG_1995.jpg

and finally....the finished product.

IMG_2012.jpg

HUGE thanks go out to Bender for his time, expertise and patience. It's amazing what we accomplished in one day.

There will be more pics to follow, as we sort through the 340+ shots of the process, and get them uploaded to our site. I'll also be getting a few more closeup shots of the finished product.

hehehe... yeah, he has my car50 rims on for the winter, the 33's are being preserved for the spring!

He used some self etching primer, followed by a thin coat of Tremclad, and finally a couple coats of epoxy enamel (krylon). Simon picked up the primer & enamel from NAPA, and the Tremclad, (which was needed to adhere the epoxy enamel to the primer properly) was from Canadian Tire.

hehehe... yeah, he has my car50 rims on for the winter, the 33's are being preserved for the spring!

He used some self etching primer, followed by a thin coat of Tremclad, and finally a couple coats of epoxy enamel (krylon). Simon picked up the primer & enamel from NAPA, and the Tremclad, (which was needed to adhere the epoxy enamel to the primer properly) was from Canadian Tire.

Thanks Pezzy. :beer: Sounds like a good strategy for our roadsalt concerns up here.

Thanks Pezzy. :beer: Sounds like a good strategy for our roadsalt concerns up here.

Actually, it's a lacquer paint as the top coat. The epoxy enamel Pezzy mentioned is something we spoke about while building the bumper as a possible long term solution. Unfortunately, there just wasn't time, nor the facilities in place for that type of coating. The lacquer should hold up well with the self etching primer.

It's heavy. Like, the stock bumper might weigh 20lbs if that, and this thing is 80lbs or so, without the tire carrier. I figure the carrier is about equal with a stock one.

Incredible pics for an even more incredible project! What an awesome undertaking. Hey Simon is that you with the wrench? I only have one problem....Diet Pepsi WTF get out the beer people. You deserve it. :clap:

with the latch so close to the outside (corner of the pathy) aren't you worried about branches catching the latch and pulling the carrier open? or is there some type of locking mechanism on it? is it hard to pull open?

(EDIT: or is it a latch you push in (towards pathfinder) to let out the carrier?)

Edited by sammyb33

but Simon doesn't rub the truck against 'twigs', does he.

:) :) :)

ok, i was just curious, because i didnt want it to be a problem, (because i know after 17 + hours it is hard to think :))

overall looks real beefy nice job

Ill take 2 with an option for a 3rd please....

Heh...I'll have to see if Bender will be making a few of these. Chances are, not for quite some time. He's got a lineup for his stuff.