My Old Truck

Kittamaru

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, got a big worry on my hands...

my truck is running very, VERY rough. Very little power, and it sounds bad... think like rototiller when it can't find the right fuel / air mixture...

I'm thinking either injectors, spark plugs, or bad lines? Fuel filter, PCV valve, air filter, are all good... know this for a fact (they're brand new :P)

I am due for an oil change soon... and I have a small oil leak from the headgasket which I want to replace ASAP but it isn't major... like... add a few ounces once a month and I'm good kind of minor leak.

The strangest symptom is, as I approach about 3200 rpm, it starts to smooth out... and as I drop under 2000 rpm it gets SO rough I fear it will stall and I cannot maintain speed no matter what...

I've seen before about pulling codes... no check engine light or anything and I don't know how to pull codes anyway.

Any ideas? I'm starting to wonder if I should be running her at all if she's sputtering like that... my poor baby is sick :(

*bump*

My truck is running a bit smoother... not by much. It seems that in the rain it gets much much worse...

this leads me to believe it's either:

Bad fuel injectors

Bad fuel/air ratio

Bad air intake

any ideas?

Maybe something in the wiring somewhere, have you checked that?

I remember when my dad had the skidplate off our 94 for a bit when it rained the cruise control, signals and tach would die :blink:

Oh and I saw something on hear about the mass airflow sensor, the wiring for it at the sensor can get flaky IIRC and if you wiggle it while the someone tries to keep the truck running you'll see. Its the one right on the air filter tube. Someone correct me if im wrong

Edited by redfinder

Nah, it's dry now and it's still doing that... been dry the last three days *pouts*

I need to replace my plug wires and all that... it's a plan for when I have $$$

I'll check the airflow sensor ASAP :)

Edited by Kittamaru

Yes....cat = catalytic converter.

My guess is the MAF. The wiring on top is known to cause issues. Go give it a wiggle with the truck running, and see if the idle smooths out.