My Old Truck

Kittamaru

If you take care of it, it will last a long friggin time, my dad told me yesterday, that if the frame didn't rot out, he'd stil be driving the 93 that he gave me, It has 340k kilometers which is roughly 220k miles? It runs damn well, and was maintained at the intervals in the manual. I'd say, mechanically, its in better shape than ANY of the gm, ford, or chrysler trucks in this hole area with that many miles on them, because id like to see a gmc jimmy with that much milage with such low repair bills (like 3 things went wrong in that time frame)

They are probably the best suv ever. period. I haven't seen one that could take more of a beating and still run great.

Check the garage section and :search: the how to's and you'll find a wealth of info.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thing is, it doesn't follow ANY of the tech specs I've looked up... I have here in my hand a book that has nearly every how too I could ever need, complete with diagrams, designed special for the 1990 nissan (it's from a series of books made for various brands, years, models, ect)

Thing is, my engine looks COMPLETELY different from the engine it shows!

The book is the Nissan/Datsun Pick-up & Pathfinder

Haynes Repair Manual

It was designed following a complete teardown and rebuild

Damn good book recommended to me by my mechanic... covers pathy's from 1987b up to 1995... yet none of them fit my engine.

Biggest difference is I do NOT have that big ass circular air intake... I have the standard box intake...

I have that manual too, its a piece of sh!t. Get the factory service manual = SO much better.

You don't have the circular air intake because your truck is EFI not carburated like the 87-89 models.

does your engine look like this: ?

img0174vl8.jpg

God dammit Redfinder, 87-89's are NOT carbureted. They are TBI, which is THROTTLE BODY INJECTION. :P

I would actually like to see you drive a Pathy with two broken tie rods. It would look something like this in short order. The steering wheel would not physically be connected to the wheels in any way...

spreadem.jpg

I think you have your terminology wrong. Perhaps the tension rods were broken?

Kind of... I dont' have the ECCS thingy there... beyond that it looks almost exact.

Where can I get a factory service manual? Is that the one that comes with the truck... the owners manual?

And er... yeah... Tie Rods... Torshin bar... okay, no, I don't know how I $#&%ed that up

the torshin bar was busted... not the tie rods 0o'

Damn... note to self... do NOT POST HELP REQUESTS after midnight.

Yes, torshin bar, thank you

So. the Haynes Repair Manual isn't any good?

Is Nissan really going to give me a full technical manual at my request?

Edited by Kittamaru

If one of your torsion bars were broken, one side of your front end/suspension would be laying flat down as low as it would go and it would probably rub on the tire real bad. Still sure about this one? ;)

Ebay is your best bet for a factory service manual, they only have paper copies for 92 and older. Mine was around $50 on Ebay and worth much more than that. Chilton's and Haynes books are OK if you can figure out which model they're talking about and pay attention to the details. Most service websites with tech info on Nissans are either flat-out wrong or REALLY drawn-out and unnecessarily technical.

The ECCS thing is just a cover for the distributor and is entirely removeable.

close enough, your just jealous because you don't have EFI

Wrong again. I DO have EFI. Electronic Fuel Injection. A carburetor is NOTHING like a TBI. What I don't have is Multi-Port Fuel Injection. Big whoop, the difference is 7 HP.

Yes, your description sinched it - my front right end was about a foot and a half lower than my rear left... it was damn near laying on the stopper of the shock absorber.

to be certain, next time I go up to Harrisburg, I'll ask my mechanic (I'm attending college in philly) what exactly it was that broke.

Hey Kittamaru,

Did you go the acid flush or simply drain and changed trans fluid??? Please let me know what you did. I do have a 90 pathfinder and I have NO idea if it was ever changed or not by previous owner. Kindly post results on what you've done, yes, you are our guinea pig trans experiment :rolleyes:

The ECCS thing is just a cover for the distributor and is entirely removeable.

Wrong again. I DO have EFI. Electronic Fuel Injection. A carburetor is NOTHING like a TBI. What I don't have is Multi-Port Fuel Injection. Big whoop, the difference is 7 HP.

You should see this truck im trying to get running, its an 88 pathy thats been sitting for 5 years. I could barely get it to turn over, and I fried my booster cables :crossedwires:

Hey Kittamaru,

Did you go the acid flush or simply drain and changed trans fluid??? Please let me know what you did. I do have a 90 pathfinder and I have NO idea if it was ever changed or not by previous owner. Kindly post results on what you've done, yes, you are our guinea pig trans experiment :rolleyes:

I don't know if he has...but DO NOT do that. The old acid flushes are a thing of the past. Today's Tranny fluids have so much detergent in them, it's not necessary, nor recommended to flush your transmission with anything else. All that will happen is that it'll eat through the seals on the thing.

Simply have a shop do a flush/fill on it using 12-14L of Dexron III.

I am NOT doing an acid or detergent flush... I'm simply going to drain and run new fluid through, letting the fluid run out till it comes thru at least somewhat close to the color it went in.

I just talked to my mechanic... it was the torshin bar AND the tie rods, but I had the timing wrong-

The tie rods were a bit bent up and were weak and rusted - being 17 years old (the original parts) I guess that's not that terribly uncommon? What happened was, when he tried to heat up the tie rods to free them, the... ah... what did he call it... well, in any case, in the attempt to repair the damaged tie rods, they snapped in half, so he replaced them. He didn't charge me for parts since he thinks it may have been his own error, but yeah, they were broken... just they broke in the shop XD

And yeah, my torshin bar was busted.

Okay, I'm having trouble again... where can I buy a finned or ribbed transmission fluid pan?

Looking online keeps bringing up gaskets and crap... is there a good site that sells Nissan Parts that a relative noob would understand?

aw.. that sucks...

Can you make any recommendations for parts I should go to a junkyard to get?

I'm thinking perhaps I should get new oil and tranny oil coolers, oil and tranny oil pans, etc?

Maybe a 90 amp alternator?

aw.. that sucks...

Can you make any recommendations for parts I should go to a junkyard to get?

I'm thinking perhaps I should get new oil and tranny oil coolers, oil and tranny oil pans, etc?

Maybe a 90 amp alternator?

Tranny cooler only, Ford Explorer or other truck or SUV with a V-6 or larger under the hood. Engine oil cooler would actualy be a bad idea since you live in PA, even those that live in hot regions don't need one. (Unless you plan to be running your engine at 7k+ RPM continuously that is.)

Quest or Maxima alternator would be good, but not needed unless you are running a lot of lights, stereo equipment or a winch.

Why are you so stuck on getting new pans? What you have are fine unless they are punctured or bent up REALLY bad.

My undercoat is all but gone... a lot of the exposed flat surfaces have rusted pretty badly.

Once I get it up on a lift I'll take pictures and show you what I mean... hard to do with the camera phone I have now... no flash and all... plus no SD card so I can't get them on my PC XD