Looking at 2001 LE

br2an

I'm about to retire my 93 SE as the frame rot is just getting too out of hand. I'm considering a 2001 SE with 153,000 Km (about 98,000 miles) on it. I haven't actually looked at it yet as it is 800 km away in another city but I will be out there this weekend. Price is $9,600 (neg?) I don't know much about the R50 pathy so i was hoping somebody could take a minute to answer a few questions. (yeh, I know most have been answered before but I am trying to convince myself this is a good buy). SO here goes.

• Are automatic trannys still a major weaknes (like they were in 90-95 pathys??)
    Frame rot? or are there any particular rust areas to look for?
    Any problems with the 3.5L? (I read the sticky above on power valve screws falling out. ouch!)
    Life span on the timing chain?
    Ignition coils failing? (read of this on another site but couldn't find anything here)
    sensors for the cam timing and oxygen sensors failing early (again, another site)

Any help in what to look for would be greatly appreciated. Oh, here is a pic of the beast. It certainly takes a good shot.

Thanks;

Brian

post-172-1193021110_thumb.jpg

I'm about to retire my 93 SE as the frame rot is just getting too out of hand. I'm considering a 2001 SE with 153,000 Km (about 98,000 miles) on it. I haven't actually looked at it yet as it is 800 km away in another city but I will be out there this weekend. Price is $9,600 (neg?) I don't know much about the R50 pathy so i was hoping somebody could take a minute to answer a few questions. (yeh, I know most have been answered before but I am trying to convince myself this is a good buy). SO here goes.
  • Are automatic trannys still a major weaknes (like they were in 90-95 pathys??)
    Frame rot? or are there any particular rust areas to look for?
    Any problems with the 3.5L? (I read the sticky above on power valve screws falling out. ouch!)
    Life span on the timing chain?
    Ignition coils failing? (read of this on another site but couldn't find anything here)
    sensors for the cam timing and oxygen sensors failing early (again, another site)

Any help in what to look for would be greatly appreciated. Oh, here is a pic of the beast. It certainly takes a good shot.

Thanks;

Brian

To answer the best I can:

AT's: Not as troublesome so I have heard.

Frame rot: No frame, no frame rot :tongue: No issues with rust in the west, may be a different story back east or US mid-west?

3.5: Only issue is the one noted.

Timing chain: life of the chain. I have not heard of any life issues on the chain.

Ignition coils: Never heard of this problem.

Sensors: I have had both a cam timing sensor and O2 sensor go, both before 120,000 km but I did not consider those to be big deals. And I am not even sure the cam sensor went, it may have been some bad gas that tripped the code and the dealer just changed it out. My 3.5 seems to much prefer premium fuel, no more SES lights for me.

I like mine a lot, you should be pretty happy with a R50. As for that price, no clue. They are selling here for aorund $16-18,000 CDN.

Edited by Trainman

The transmissions are just fine in the R50.... not anything like the 87-95 AT

Timing chain should last the life of the car

I have indeed heard of just a few people having some ignition problems... and O2 sensor problems... but those are relatively rare for the Nissan and they find our message boards through google, makes it seem more prevalent than it really is

An 01 Pathfinder is a great vehicle to purchase... there really isnt anything that you need to look for (unlike 4runners), as long as it has had oil changes, it'll run carefree until 300k

Absolutely NO rust issues (unlike it's 87-95 predecessor)

Just a though on price...I like to take the KBB trade in and the private sale number and average the two out...that would make a fair price--this way if you buy it you may only be a couple of bills away from trade in value--in the incident the truck is a lemon.

Hey there...

That price doesnt sound too shabby - I believe my 99.5 is worth about 9-10,000

You can always check autotrader.ca to see what similar trucks are going for.

AT tranny - we're not known to have the same issues as the older pathys. My only issue with the AT, is the lag accelerating on the highway. A manual tranny would fix that right up, but they are somewhat rare.

As mentioned, we dont have major rust issues... only ones Ive heard of are the window seals (esp the rear), and the step rails. Mine has some on the pass side front wheel well.

I've changed all 4 of my O2 sensors, I dont know about them failing early, but they did fail... but not a huge issue to deal with.

Good luck!

Hey there...

That price doesnt sound too shabby - I believe my 99.5 is worth about 9-10,000

You can always check autotrader.ca to see what similar trucks are going for.

AT tranny - we're not known to have the same issues as the older pathys. My only issue with the AT, is the lag accelerating on the highway. A manual tranny would fix that right up, but they are somewhat rare.

As mentioned, we dont have major rust issues... only ones Ive heard of are the window seals (esp the rear), and the step rails. Mine has some on the pass side front wheel well.

I've changed all 4 of my O2 sensors, I dont know about them failing early, but they did fail... but not a huge issue to deal with.

Good luck!

Yeah stick r50s are rare, but they're nice!

Watchout for rust on the drivers side rear fender lip, i have a nasty bubble there. No o2 sensors have gone bad for me yet :shiftyeyes:

Oh and the gas filler tube, this happened to us recently (got a hole from corrosion and leaked)

My only issue with the AT, is the lag accelerating on the highway. A manual tranny would fix that right up

When was the last time you did your timing??? A small adjustment could change your power curve a little B)

When was the last time you did your timing??? A small adjustment could change your power curve a little B)

Just been checked. It's good.

There's nothing "wrong" with her truck, other than lots of extra weight from armor/gear.

Bigger tires tend to slightly mess with the shift points as well.....but nothing too major.

Wow! I never thought there would be so many replies. Thanks, guys.

I just received a few more pics showing the interior and it looks awsome! The only flaw I can spot is the top portion of the steering wheel seems to be discolored. I could be dirty or it could be the leather finish is worn off. Has anyone else seem this on a truck with less than 100,000 miles? My old 93 doesn't look so bad.

Re the "problem" areas mentioned in earlier post, I am glad that the auto trannys are now dependable. That is just too much of a bullet to bite when you lose one of them. The other stuff seems to be just minor issues, not overly common.

I was really looking for a smaller suv, more fuel efficient, but the used CR-Vs and RAV-4s are really over priced around here. Except for the frame rot, the 93SE was the vehicle I have enjoyed the most since my first car , a 1973 Cuda' 340. (being a teenager at that time probably helped with those memories. haha)

I am looking forward to the weekend trip and will let you know how I make out.

Brian

post-172-1193079021_thumb.jpg

My leather wrapped steering wheel isn't great either, and it's only got 129,000kms.

I think the more it sits in the sun, the worse they get.

Wow! I never thought there would be so many replies. Thanks, guys.

I just received a few more pics showing the interior and it looks awsome! The only flaw I can spot is the top portion of the steering wheel seems to be discolored. I could be dirty or it could be the leather finish is worn off. Has anyone else seem this on a truck with less than 100,000 miles? My old 93 doesn't look so bad.

Brian

Looks nice and clean. The steering wheel looks like it is losing its colour. Mine is black and has been good so far.

What is that wire hanging down by the accelerator? Should ask about that.

You people need to wash your hands more often.

Mine has 125K miles and the leather on the steering wheel is in almost perfect shape. And I live in sunny So-Cal and have to park in the sun every day.

I'd try just rubbing the steering wheel down real good with some leather cleaner. If it's not flecking off, some protectant should clean it up nice and maintain it for a long time.

I'd try just rubbing the steering wheel down real good with some leather cleaner. If it's not flecking off, some protectant should clean it up nice and maintain it for a long time.

"Leather cleaner" implies you actually have a real "leather" steering wheel, or you're lead to believe.

Well, I just returned last night and this is my promised update. When I finally saw the vehicle close-up, it wasn't in the shape I was expecting. :thumbsdown:

There was a huge scrape on the front bumper RH side (can't see it in the picture) and another one on the rear (the plastic bumper cover was actually ripped about 3").

Front tires were worn to the thread indicators in the center but lots of thread on the sides so I believe the air pressure was too high. Whatever the cause, needed front tires.

Interior was clean and in good shape. The only flaw was the color was worn off of the steering wheel. (cleaning not an option here)

Body had no rust on the panels but a lot of surface rust showing underneath.

Engine ran smooth but noisy under load (exhaust?) Suspension was 'clunky' and didn't feel any better than my 93.

Bottom line, I passed on it.

However, (and I know some of you will be disappointed) I did find another vehicle. A 2002 Highlander; 123,000 kilometers (66,000 miles) V-6 ,220hp, AWD. I know it's not a match for the Pathfinder, but it was in immaculate condition. (and the extra gas mileage is a bonus). Private sale, $13,500.

I'll definitely miss this site. You guys (and gals) were a great help. Thanks

Brian

You're welcome :beer: uhhh Highlander...help me out? Toyota? Is it really that much better on gas? Sure got more ponies!

Sounds like that Pathy needed some TLC anyway. Did you point that out and try and lowball 'em. Nice Knowin Ya

More power? Not really:

From Canadian Driver Used Review

The first Highlanders were powered either by a 2.4-litre four-cylinder (155 hp; 163 lb-ft) or a 3.0-litre V6 (220 hp; 222 lb-ft), both shared with the new-for-2002 Camry sedan. Both engines were mated to a four-speed automatic transmission; no manual was offered in Canada, but one was available to U.S. customers, at least in early models.

Fuel consumption, according to Natural Resources Canada, ranges from 10.7 L/100 km (city) and 7.9 L/100 km (highway) for front-drive, four-cylinder models, but the optional all-wheel drive resulted in significantly higher consumption: 11.8 L/100 km (city) and 9.1 L/100 km (highway). Older V6 models were rated at 13 L/100 km (city) and 9.7 L/100 km (highway)

More power? Not really:

From Canadian Driver Used Review

The first Highlanders were powered either by a 2.4-litre four-cylinder (155 hp; 163 lb-ft) or a 3.0-litre V6 (220 hp; 222 lb-ft), both shared with the new-for-2002 Camry sedan. Both engines were mated to a four-speed automatic transmission; no manual was offered in Canada, but one was available to U.S. customers, at least in early models.

Fuel consumption, according to Natural Resources Canada, ranges from 10.7 L/100 km (city) and 7.9 L/100 km (highway) for front-drive, four-cylinder models, but the optional all-wheel drive resulted in significantly higher consumption: 11.8 L/100 km (city) and 9.1 L/100 km (highway). Older V6 models were rated at 13 L/100 km (city) and 9.7 L/100 km (highway)

Trainman;

I think the "more ponies!" was more of a put down than a statement of fact. To help explain my choice (not that a diehard Pathy owner could be bought off so easily), the V-6, 220 hp Highlander loses 20 hp to the Pathfinders 240 but it also sheds an extra 416 lbs (3715 lbs Highlander to 4131 lbs Pathfinders curb weight) This gives a slightly higher hp to weight ratio which is a better indicator of acceleration than hp alone. from: http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com...-car-search.htm

Re the fuel consumption, that Pathfinder is rated at 15 mpg (US gal) versus 18 mpg for the Highlander. from: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/

3 mpg doesn't seem like much but it is 20% further on a gal and there for a 20% reduction in my fuel costs.

I may miss the comfort and looks of the Pathfinder but I don't personally know of many people who regret buying a Toyota.

Cheers!

Trainman;

I think the "more ponies!" was more of a put down than a statement of fact. To help explain my choice (not that a diehard Pathy owner could be bought off so easily), the V-6, 220 hp Highlander loses 20 hp to the Pathfinders 240 but it also sheds an extra 416 lbs (3715 lbs Highlander to 4131 lbs Pathfinders curb weight) This gives a slightly higher hp to weight ratio which is a better indicator of acceleration than hp alone. from: http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com...-car-search.htm

Re the fuel consumption, that Pathfinder is rated at 15 mpg (US gal) versus 18 mpg for the Highlander. from: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/

3 mpg doesn't seem like much but it is 20% further on a gal and there for a 20% reduction in my fuel costs.

I may miss the comfort and looks of the Pathfinder but I don't personally know of many people who regret buying a Toyota.

Cheers!

I was not questioning your choice, the Highlander is a great vehicle from what I have heard. And we are very happy with our Sienna. You will be happy too, I am sure.

Torque is also a factor, and the 3.0l Toyota engine is a little low on that compared to the 3.5 Pathy, as would be expected based on their displacements. We do find the 3.3 in the Sienna to be a bit of a slug at higher speeds compared to the Pathfinder but fuel economy is way better (we can average 34 mpg in the Sienna at 110 kph) so you will be good there too I am sure.

Congrats on the new ride, any photos yet?