The OEM headlights are terrible... I cant see $hi#

BLouisGod

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

doing some research I found that they have some HID Kits that have a little solenoid that moves the bulb up for hi beams. and back down for lo beam. Seems pretty cool.

Mark

p&p hid cutoff on a 05 pathy, not bad

1677579_33_full.jpg

p&p hid cutoff on a 05 pathy, not bad

1677579_33_full.jpg

Stock 05 headlight are way better than those on the WD21. I am guessing the diamond cut ones are closer in beam pattern to the 05 than stock. I might give those a shot next month. I have bulbs and upgrade harness coming. If new wiring and new headlights still don't cut it, I might try the HID route. Will need relay harness with HID anyway.

BTW, HID kits routinely sell for $125 new in the groupbuys section on bimmerforums.com. One of the sellers, even offer a lifetime warranty for $25 more: replacement bulbs or ballasts at no additional cost. If anyone is intersted, I can pass on the email address of the seller. A 50w ballast version is also available (vs standard 35w).

doing some research I found that they have some HID Kits that have a little solenoid that moves the bulb up for hi beams. and back down for lo beam. Seems pretty cool.

Mark

See my post in previous page, #19. There are several dual beam HID solutions. Not sure which works best, a bit of marketing snake oil goes with each method. Low beam HIDs alone may be sufficient, but I find the ability to flash at other drivers too useful to give up.

Edited by feloniousmonk

I do not think a relay harness is needed with hid. they use less amperage than the stock bulbs.

found some hid kits for $80 shipped on ebay. also the Bixenon (motorized bulb) are going for $127 shipped

I may end up doing this conversion before any of you guys do, so I will post some before and after pics.

Mark

See my post in previous page, #19. There are several dual beam HID solutions. Not sure which works best, a bit of marketing snake oil goes with each method. Low beam HIDs alone may be sufficient, but I find the ability to flash at other drivers too useful to give up.
Edited by msavides

I do not think a relay harness is needed with hid. they use less amperage than the stock bulbs.

Perhaps not. But it's safer, IMHO. I've heard of a few cases of fried instrument clusters with retrofits in other cars. Initial draw might spike higher than what stock wiring can handle.

found some hid kits for $80 shipped on ebay. also the Bixenon (motorized bulb) are going for $127 shipped

I may end up doing this conversion before any of you guys do, so I will post some before and after pics.

Mark

Cool. Looking forward to the pictures.

BTW, for some reason my email notification doesn't work. I've gone over the preference settings several times and can't figure out why it isn't working. Any ideas?

Edited by feloniousmonk

Relay harness will come with the kit.

I converted the fog lamps on my Hyundai Sante fe to Hid. It did not come with a relay harness. Just plugged the wire that would normally hook to the H3 bulb to the ballast/igniter. and that was all. HID are about voltage not amps.

Mark

• 3 weeks later...
I converted the fog lamps on my Hyundai Sante fe to Hid. It did not come with a relay harness. Just plugged the wire that would normally hook to the H3 bulb to the ballast/igniter. and that was all. HID are about voltage not amps.

Mark

Ok I ordered and installed the moving bulb Hid Lights. I have not done the adjustments on the headlamp housing yet. I will get pics up once I adjust them. And you guys were correct on this kit it came with fuses, relays and all that stuff. Wonder why my other cars did not come the same way. oh well.

I will try and do the adjustments this weekend and get the pics up by Saturday.

Mark

Ok I ordered and installed the moving bulb Hid Lights. I have not done the adjustments on the headlamp housing yet. I will get pics up once I adjust them. And you guys were correct on this kit it came with fuses, relays and all that stuff. Wonder why my other cars did not come the same way. oh well.

I will try and do the adjustments this weekend and get the pics up by Saturday.

Mark

Link to where you got the kit? I upgraded my harness, better but not the night and day difference I was hoping for. Brighter but still has uneven light distribution (hot spots). I suspect the OE lamps are to blame.

Edited by feloniousmonk

I found a set of plug and play 9004s on honda-tech for 114.99. Dont expect oem quality, but ive used kits like these from honda-tech before for a bike and accord, and they were pretty decent and lasted a year before I sold them. I dont know how I feel about a wd21 with HIDs... Just be sure to get 4300k for the most lumens and a white color to avoid po-po.

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread/2053835

I got pulled over with our isuzu because the cop thought i had my highbeams on, and then he was gonna slap me with some kind of ticket for having modified lights. Didn't take me long to pop the hood and show him that they were stock.

My wd21 headlamps are really good i find. I have the glass housing with the ge nighthawk lights. One housing has a tiny hole in it though :shrug:

Link to where you got the kit? I upgraded my harness, better but not the night and day difference I was hoping for. Brighter but still has uneven light distribution (hot spots). I suspect the OE lamps are to blame.

This kit has a complete harness. only used 1 stock headlight plug as a trigger for the relay for the light and the bulb movement for the high beam. No problems with stock wiring at all.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/9003-H4-900...1QQcmdZViewItem

Mark

I got pulled over with our isuzu because the cop thought i had my highbeams on, and then he was gonna slap me with some kind of ticket for having modified lights. Didn't take me long to pop the hood and show him that they were stock.

My wd21 headlamps are really good i find. I have the glass housing with the ge nighthawk lights. One housing has a tiny hole in it though :shrug:

Nighthawks melted my plug. beware.

BTW, you can usually polish plastic headlight lenses with a bit of tooth paste and some hard scrubbing and polishing. It beats those expensive snake oil formulas out there. But yeah, some good auxiliary lights won't hurt either.

3M also makes a good plastic polish. I think 3M, or someone else also make a complete kit (easily pieced together) for redoing really bad scratched or worn plexy/plastic that contains like 6 grades of sandpaper and 3 grades of polish.

3M also makes a good plastic polish. I think 3M, or someone else also make a complete kit (easily pieced together) for redoing really bad scratched or worn plexy/plastic that contains like 6 grades of sandpaper and 3 grades of polish.

There is also http://www.autogeek.net/plastik-lens-cleaning.html

Meguiar's Plasti-X and Plastic Polish, Cleaner and Detailer all work pretty well. Plasti-X is more aggressive. I've used all 3 products after wet sanding with 1000 and 2000 grit paper on a set of BMW headlights with good results.

There is also http://www.autogeek.net/plastik-lens-cleaning.html

Meguiar's Plasti-X and Plastic Polish, Cleaner and Detailer all work pretty well. Plasti-X is more aggressive. I've used all 3 products after wet sanding with 1000 and 2000 grit paper on a set of BMW headlights with good results.

Tried adjusting my headlamps last night, the right side adjusted fine, however when I went to adjust the left side I noticed that after adjusting the headlamp rocked and was loose. After looking at the right side I noticed that the headlamp is held steady at 3 points. the 2 adjusting screws and a ball pivot joint toward the fender. The left side has come apart at the ball and pivot joint. does it just snap in there or what. It was dark out so i did not want to force it when i could not see what I was doing. Also it seemed when i adjusted it out that the adjustment screws were angled up and not straight which could have pulled the ball out of the pivot joint. I hope this makes sense to someone.

Mark

Tried adjusting my headlamps last night, the right side adjusted fine, however when I went to adjust the left side I noticed that after adjusting the headlamp rocked and was loose. After looking at the right side I noticed that the headlamp is held steady at 3 points. the 2 adjusting screws and a ball pivot joint toward the fender. The left side has come apart at the ball and pivot joint. does it just snap in there or what. It was dark out so i did not want to force it when i could not see what I was doing. Also it seemed when i adjusted it out that the adjustment screws were angled up and not straight which could have pulled the ball out of the pivot joint. I hope this makes sense to someone.

Mark

Ok, I opened up the factory service manual and followed the instructions. It said to start by adjusting the screws all the way in then adjust the headlights by adjusting them out, Well when I adjusted them in the ball snap back into the socket and all is well. I adjusted them the best I could in my driveway, However I have to take it some place at night to readjust them. My driveway is sloped down toward the street so I need to find some level terrain. Here are the Photos of the HID lights installed. I will need to add some better pics when on the street.

t_PICT0508m_ecbe23b.jpg

low beam

t_PICT0509m_0e3fb26.jpg

hi beam

t_PICT0510m_6bcdf75.jpg

low beam

t_PICT0511m_461d7a5.jpg

hi beam

Mark

Edited by msavides

Ok, I opened up the factory service manual and followed the instructions. It said to start by adjusting the screws all the way in then adjust the headlights by adjusting them out, Well when I adjusted them in the ball snap back into the socket and all is well. I adjusted them the best I could in my driveway, However I have to take it some place at night to readjust them. My driveway is sloped down toward the street so I need to find some level terrain. Here are the Photos of the HID lights installed. I will need to add some better pics when on the street.

t_PICT0508m_ecbe23b.jpg

t_PICT0509m_0e3fb26.jpg

t_PICT0510m_6bcdf75.jpg

t_PICT0511m_461d7a5.jpg

Mark

That is weird. post did not move to the top. It is like my post did not exist.

First photo and 3rd photo are low beams

2nd photo and 4th photo are Hi beams.

A magnet tilts the bulb up when the hi beams are turned on so it is still a single bulb and you do not have to wait for a second hid to strike.

Mark

Ok this post moved it to the top.

Edited by msavides

Hm, kinda what I expected (not saying it's bad) – a lot of glare/flare and hot spots. Not much you can do about that when dealing with stock reflectors. Plenty bright that's for sure. Curious if the diamond cut ones have better beam pattern but I don't think I'll be able to try it any time soon. Made Thanksgiving travel arrangements and it's going to take a while to recover.

Hm, kinda what I expected (not saying it's bad) – a lot of glare/flare and hot spots. Not much you can do about that when dealing with stock reflectors. Plenty bright that's for sure. Curious if the diamond cut ones have better beam pattern but I don't think I'll be able to try it any time soon. Made Thanksgiving travel arrangements and it's going to take a while to recover.

On my other newer vehicle that have the deflector. They look great since there is no center defector on the Nissan headlamps it does not spread evenly.

Those headlamp housings at the beginning of the thread my be the answer. I think they use different bulbs though.

mark

Those headlamp housings at the beginning of the thread my be the answer. I think they use different bulbs though.

That's what I was refering to. I always thought they were for 9004 as well... ? On your kit, how well does the high/low work?

Edited by feloniousmonk

This guy has great write-ups on lighting.

Daniel Stern Lighting

He recommends upgrading the wiring harness to a relay kit and then swapping our lights/grill to those of a hardbody and then replacing the HB sealed beam lights with quality replaceable beam units.

Like so \/ \/

200HCR.jpg

IMG_1108.jpg

He debunks the myths about those rice boy blue lights and talks about yellow lenses other interesting stuff.

This guy has great write-ups on lighting.

Daniel Stern Lighting

Yup. That site's been around for at least 10 years. Lots of good info. My 95 doesn't have sealed beam headlights. Blue blubs do suck. I got a pair just for the hell of it. Blue light (even though it looks white) does scatter and fall into the darkness rather quickly. Got a set of Sylvania Silverstars laying around, will give those a shot. Judging by what Stern has said, I doubt it'll be as advertised.

The aftermarket lamps in the first post might yield better lighting since the lense doesn't have the "patterns?" of the OE unit to hinder light output.

Yup. That site's been around for at least 10 years. Lots of good info. My 95 doesn't have sealed beam headlights. Blue blubs do suck. I got a pair just for the hell of it. Blue light (even though it looks white) does scatter and fall into the darkness rather quickly. Got a set of Sylvania Silverstars laying around, will give those a shot. Judging by what Stern has said, I doubt it'll be as advertised.

The aftermarket lamps in the first post might yield better lighting since the lense doesn't have the "patterns?" of the OE unit to hinder light output.

The word you're looking for there is "fluting". The DOT used to require that all glass lenses be fluted in that manner.

I just bought a set of those headlights off eBay for $106 (incl. shipping), since I just discovered that my passenger side light has gotten a bullseye. I'll be installing them as soon as they get here - the original DOT lights that we got here in the US on these trucks suck.

I intend to use them with some of the Osram Silverstars (not the US market semi-rice stuff, but the Euro ones which are completely different) that I'll be getting in next spring when my cousin gets back from England. Eventually, I'll be getting some HIDs to put in there - the prices have come down a lot, and I figure by next summer they'll be cheap enough that I can afford to get a set "just to see" how they do.

Edited by GhostPath