What's The Single Largest Inherent Flaw In A Wd21 Pathfinder?

88pathoffroad

What's The Single Largest Inherent Flaw In A WD21 Pathfinder?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Choose away!

• Engine problems
    • Transmission problems
    • Frame problems
    • Suspension/steering problems
    • Drivetrain problems
    • There are no aftermarket parts available!
    • They quit making two-doors!
    • Lack of power

... they just need replacement part R50 :D (that was purely for you Casey)

Although I don't own one myself, I would put my vote in for the rust/frame issues.

Over Priced Grocery Getters missing a Frame.... everyone can see the Grocery Bags in your Avatar pic....

Frame rust is more of a Location issue, east coast vs west coast imo

Steering if you wheel it sooner or later its gonna need fixing imo

Auto Tranny's Install a Cooler, 88 found a Shift kit that needs some more looking at....

Power.... Everyone needs more Power.... :tonguefinger: 150hp just is not enough, I think 190-220 would be perfect....

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Underpowered? ha... Apparently none of you have had a 4 banger toyota 4 runner..... We would get out the cameras and take pictures if we made it up to freeway speed :)

Probably the stupid exhaust manifolds.... and the fact that they won't fix em after 100k.. mine blew at 103k.

-Mike

Thankfully they did not! :nono: If they had we would not have a locker option ;)

2NDED :aok::D

Engine problems : None....yet

Transmission problems : None....yet

Frame problems : Like new

Suspension/steering problems : None....yet

Drivetrain problems : None....yet

There are no aftermarket parts available! : They make lockers I'm happy :aok:

They quit making two-doors! : Voted, I :wub: my 2dr

Lack of power : Power is useless without control :D

in answer to the previous page question. WD's weigh in at 4,000lbs (3,940 or something like that)... not 4500.

But then account for all the crap most people leave in them.......tools and the like, I heard someone around here say 4200 once.

But then account for all the crap most people leave in them.......tools and the like, I heard someone around here say 4200 once.

My D21 I just trashed at the local scrap yard weighed in at 3400 and change. and that was without tranny and transfer case.

I voted for tranny problems, after 2nd I gots nothing but rev, thus the reason the tranny didnt go with the d21.

Edited by josh

I voted suspension/steering problems, but that's really #2.

#1: ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS! That's been my only reoccurring and consistent issues for as long as I've owned this thing. Just came in tonight from finishing rewiring the whole starting system. :thumbsdown:

Small aftermarket? Try searching for any for the R50 lol. Oh, I really don't think its the aftermarkets that's the problem, its finding one that the VGs actually respond to. None work.

electrical problems? wtf? nissans have been good to me for electrical. now bmw's are electrical nightmares and so are v-dubs and audi's (im a master tech) yea so i seen my share. oh to add another flaw.... no flame sliders and the rocker panels smash real easy on rocks and ledges. lol

electrical problems? wtf? nissans have been good to me for electrical. now bmw's are electrical nightmares and so are v-dubs and audi's (im a master tech) yea so i seen my share. oh to add another flaw.... no flame sliders and the rocker panels smash real easy on rocks and ledges. lol

Agreed. Nissan's electrics are nothing compaired to VW and Audi electrical problems. (I own a vw bug and jetta also I work on my friends audi 4000) They had to be on drugs when designing the electrics. Damn big loops instead of latters... arg.

I have to agree the electrical problems on these trucks are peanuts compared to other brands, unless you've left your truck sit and mice have chewed the wires.

Also, I'd like someone to show me at least 20 Gm's fords or chryslers that run as good as the pathys that people i know own and are at atleast 240k. I'd never buy an american vehicle, ever. I learned from my parents and friends mistakes.

For me the weaknesses in the WD21 are:

1) automatic transmission is vulnerable to failure and VERY expensive and difficult to repair.

2) certain areas of the frame and body are prone to rust.

3) Engine underpowered for towing, but fine for 4-wheeling

4) Turning circle. I wish it were tighter. (okay, this is a minor concern)

5) crappy oil filter location (this can be fixed fairly easily though)

Electrical issues = headlight wiring and lack of relays, imo. My power locks go bezerk sometimes and wont let me out of the truck!

bad headlight wiring? i dont think so, most auto's dont use relays for lights anyways. if you are so concerned add a danged relay. whoopty do, my 8 year old brother could wire one in. your locks are going whacko? pull the fuse for the power locks, no biggie. you drive an old ass truck, whatcha expect?

Agreed. Nissan's electrics are nothing compaired to VW and Audi electrical problems. (I own a vw bug and jetta also I work on my friends audi 4000) They had to be on drugs when designing the electrics. Damn big loops instead of latters... arg.

Oy, you just reminded me of helping a buddy install a stereo and amps in his Jetta. *shudder* Big a$$ looped circuits, common grounds for the speakers, etc. Oy.

...unless you've left your truck sit and mice have chewed the wires.

It was squirrels that got to mine. Seriously. :)