And So It Begs The Question...

Hud

If I have the money to spend is the Calmini suspension kit a durable choice?....

I've searched and read several things about Calmini, listened to Steve's recorded conversation and heard mixed reveiws about their customer service but have not really found anything that says there products are poorly made or cheap...

So I called them up today to feel it out and the guy was nothing but cool...now this could be only because I'm a potential buyer but not the feeling I got...

So what do you think... If I have the money and my buddy is doing the work for me, is this the better route to take for ease of installation as well...?

Thanks

I will probably be going for the Calmini setup myself once I sort out all the rust and exhaust issues on my pathfinder, but what sells me on the Calmini setup is the completeness of the kit compared to other kits.

It's all the hardware you get that goes into the kit. Not to mention the build quality of the components looks great. (Although their shocks remind me of Rancho RS5000 knock offs).

(Although their shocks remind me of Rancho RS5000 knock offs).

They are.

The calmini issue is their bushings. They're crap. Squeak like hell, and wear out VERY prematurely.

I have had calmini lift for years and am happy with it; metal components are very well made. I do agree with the criticism about the bushings. They are poly and do squeek[although I see no evidence of wear] Putting zerks in would well be worth it, alternatively you could use a teflon based lubricant [i used NEO watercraft type] and just regrease every couple of years[what I ended up doing] Good luck --glenn

Thanks for the advice everyone... Even though it maybe a little pricey I think I'm gonna go for it and hook it up with zerk fittings...

pics soon to come

Please let us know how the installation goes (especially the Zerk fitting part), I'm still a bit green when it comes to Pathfinders, but I'm looking to order the Calmini setup by the end of the month.

Calmini no longer use the poly bushings for the UCAs now use vecton bushings. vecton is nylon that contains solid and liquid lubricants. I installed mine about 8 months ago. I have no squeaking. I have had no problems. They guys have been cool with me about all my questions. Yes they are expensive. But in my opinion worth it. I also have the calmini HD steering kit and track bar bracket. No problems with any of it.

See link

http://www.matweb.com/search/SpecificMater...?bassnum=PENS57

Mark

Edited by msavides

I just got off the phone with Calmini....

The Bushings I have are the same as the "Replacement Bushing".....

The will still Squeak.... sooner or later...

I have only lubed them once (during installation) That was about 8 months ago. I have went through 3 trips of mud slinging and 3 pressure washes and no squeak. Are you sure the squeak is coming from the UCA, I also replaced all my bushings on the entire vehicle when I Installed the UCA. The UCA Bushings I installed were Black hard nylon not flexible at all. I can't imagine them being responsible for the squeak.

Mark

I greased the ever loving sh!t out of mine when I installed them.... Never had a squeaking problem prior to the install of the kit.

Its the only thing that bugs me about the set up... And the only time it really bugs me is during Hunting Season, which is upon us....

I'm surprised no one here has had the bushings wear out on them prematurely. Many of the Xterra folk Pezzy and I run with have had issues with them, as well as SkinnyPedal who had the Calmini lift kit, and had premature wearout on his bushings as well. He's since moved to RoughCountry UCA's.

I did the calmini kit and i definately have to say it is a nice kit but those damn bushings squeak so much, my truck got a nick name from that and the exhaust leak, which I fixed now, but my friends started calling it "The Panzer" cuz the squeaking sounded like old tank treads.

Well I will just count myself lucky that mine don't squeak. If they do start to squeak I will relube them. however if they last as long as they have now after each lube, I can live with relubing once a year.

BTW Just had my truck Re-aligned and they got it all within factory specs, Barely but still. Drives much better now.

I will continue to take it in every six months. I Love lifetime alignment at Firestone.Worth every penny.

Mark

yeah I agree! They squeeeeeak like hell. Mine don't when it's raining, but that's it. SQUEEEK SQUEEEEK!

Note: I do agree, UCAs are beefy as heck, just a pain to get aligned correctly.

Second post in like 15 minutes about the squeaky bushings... There is nothing wrong with the Calmini bushings, although they should make the UCA with a zerk. It's a matter of using the right lube. I used the Neo watercraft stuff Glenn's talking about and it has lasted for at least 20K miles and 15 months. That's with plenty pressure washes/2 hot summers/road de-icer/water crossings/etc since. Any very thick marine/waterproof grease should work fine. The only way I can imagine wearing those bushings out is to let them squeak dry for ever. If they squeak, they're not lubed well.

You know what that is similar to the stuff I lubed mine with. I did not know about it, That is all I had on hand at the time. It is the green stuff right. That could explain why mine have not squeaked yet. Now I know to keep using that grease. I Know it repels water well that is why I thought it would be perfect to use instead of going out and buying some wheel bearing grease.

Mark

Second post in like 15 minutes about the squeaky bushings... There is nothing wrong with the Calmini bushings, although they should make the UCA with a zerk. It's a matter of using the right lube. I used the Neo watercraft stuff Glenn's talking about and it has lasted for at least 20K miles and 15 months. That's with plenty pressure washes/2 hot summers/road de-icer/water crossings/etc since. Any very thick marine/waterproof grease should work fine. The only way I can imagine wearing those bushings out is to let them squeak dry for ever. If they squeak, they're not lubed well.

Well I will just count myself lucky that mine don't squeak. If they do start to squeak I will relube them. however if they last as long as they have now after each lube, I can live with relubing once a year.

BTW Just had my truck Re-aligned and they got it all within factory specs, Barely but still. Drives much better now.

I will continue to take it in every six months. I Love lifetime alignment at Firestone.Worth every penny.

Mark

hahahahaha gotta love that!

Edited by Extreme90path