Fuel Filter Replacement Diy

jreidg3

heres how i do it

-only do this when the gas tank is low, try changing a fuel filter with a full tank and you will have 15 gallons of gas all over yourself and your driveway

1. pull the fuel pump fuse and turn on the engine. It should run and then die. Try starting a few more times - this is to get all the gas out of the fuel line.

2. unbolt the fuel pump, it should be under the pathfinder above the rear axle. Pull the rubber hoses off each end - pliers can help if they are stubborn.

3. put new one in, bolt it up and hook up the fuel line, pop in the fuse and youre set.

The fuel filter is attached to the body directly above the rear differential. You're going to have to climb under the truck to see it. If you remove the spare tire first, it'll give you a little more room to work under the truck so you don't have to lay down on your back. Be sure to wear safety glasses.

Is it bad that my fuel filter is mounted with plastic zip-ties now? And if so, can a fuel filter bracket be bought or fabbed? If someone has a picture of one I'd appreciate it.

Here is mine, and yes it is very rusted. I went to a junkyard and pulled a new bracket off of another pathfinder but I haven't taken the time to put the new one on yet.

Best bet is to call around at junkyards to see if they have any Pathfinders or Infiniti QX4's (they are the same as Pathfinders) and pull one off yourself.

1940fuelfilter.JPG

Edited by brerben

Mine basicaly looked like that as well. After I removed the old filter, I unbolted the bracket from the body and proceded to clean it up a bit. I was able to remove the strap bolt by soaking it in PB Blaster.

Some of the aftermarket filters have a smaller body than the OE, such as mine did, so I cut an old radiator hose section, cut that in half and placed the pieces on either side of the filter. Since the bolt is waaaaay long enough, it actually fit better because I was able to really tighten it down and the rubber hose sections serve as an insulator against chafing.

use photobucket.com. Upload all your photos there. Then, when posting here, put the address of the photo within the [iMG] [/iMG] tags on it, and they'll show up in your posts.

I'm surprised no-one mentioned using those plyer like things that clamp off a hose while you are working on it (to lessen the amount of fluid coming out. It seems like there is always alot in the lines, even after purging the pressure.

just my .02 c

-Jim

Vice grips! :aok:

I used them when I did mine. Works great. Just don't have them too tight, or they could rip the fuel lines. A little pressure goes a long way.