Pathy Vs. Jeep

ticker

I just got rear ended by a Wrangler. The pathfinder sustained minor damage- broken tail light, minor dent in rear door, and scratched bumper. The Jeep drove away but will need some serious body work. The entire left fender was bent up under itself and wrinkled all the way to the door.

Looks like I'll be in the market for a new taillight, I can't see the point in filing a claim, theres no deductable but comparing the possiblility of my rates changing vs the price of a new taillight, I'll find a tailight at the Junk Yard. GO PATHY

:wacko:

Do you not know the rules??

:worthless:

Not surprising... I busted mine a month ago, didn't even bother pricing it out -- so in the mean time I have some tarp tape on it. Ghetto Fab!

Well so far the local parts places all want $40 and up for a taillight. Seems kind of steep to me.

Which light (D or P)? Did you check Cantley's? If not DON'T CALL, I know they have at least 3 Pathfinders in there, can't remember what the rear lights were like (if still there). They'll let you wonder the yard for $1 there, then just pull what you want and take it in to the counter. Usually show up at the counter with something like that, they'll just make up a number (usuallly smaller the part, smaller the number ;) ).

I might be wrong on this. But why didn't you take the claim? Because they would have to deal with the claim since they hit you. You could have a shop give you an estimate on the damage and collect the money. Then use the money to get the tail light from the junk yard, then use the rest of the money for other mods. That's what other people have done on other boards. They have actually used the money to get an after market bumper with a tire carrier. Of course it wouldn't cover the entire price, but it helped to get them there.

I might be wrong on this. But why didn't you take the claim? Because they would have to deal with the claim since they hit you. You could have a shop give you an estimate on the damage and collect the money. Then use the money to get the tail light from the junk yard, then use the rest of the money for other mods. That's what other people have done on other boards. They have actually used the money to get an after market bumper with a tire carrier. Of course it wouldn't cover the entire price, but it helped to get them there.

I don't know what i was thinking yesterday, maybe I got hit in the head. For some reason I was thinking that I would have to make a claim with my insurance but my wife in her infinite wisdom reminded me that it was the other drivers fault and therefore It shouldn't reflect on my insurance. I also noticed that the damage was worse then I thought so I went ahead and reported it this morning. I know it would bug the crap out of me to look at every day.

Ryan where is that JY at, I was looking at the ones in Grandview because its right by my work but a new place especially one that lets you wander sounds great.

oh and heres a pic for you Pezzy :blush:

post-1770-1184687212_thumb.jpg

I don't know what i was thinking yesterday, maybe I got hit in the head. For some reason I was thinking that I would have to make a claim with my insurance but my wife in her infinite wisdom reminded me that it was the other drivers fault and therefore It shouldn't reflect on my insurance. I also noticed that the damage was worse then I thought so I went ahead and reported it this morning. I know it would bug the crap out of me to look at every day.

Ryan where is that JY at, I was looking at the ones in Grandview because its right by my work but a new place especially one that lets you wander sounds great.

oh and heres a pic for you Pezzy :blush:

Also, checkout http://car-part.com/ This will do a search in your area from all the JY, for what ever parts you need.

Also, checkout http://car-part.com/ This will do a search in your area from all the JY, for what ever parts you need.

Yeah I've used them a bunch, They had the light ranging from $10 to $250. But all the nearby ones were in the $40 to $50 range. Thanks for the tip though.

He rearended YOU. its not your fault, its his. PERIOD (unless you had a broken tail light before) I've been through this exact same thing.

Take your rig to a repair shop, get a quote for the repair. HIS insurance company should send you a check for the repair amount. Say.. 2000 bucks, then go get a 40 dollar tail light and pocket the rest.

When this happened to me, it was only my rear bumper that was damaged nad I got 800 bucks.. never fixed the bumper.

So I finally heard from the girl that hit me, or I guess I heard from her Mom. They want me to get an estimate first so that they can consider the option of paying out of pocket. I don't think she understands that I have the option of pocketing the insurance company check. Right now I'm trying to figure out how much it will bother me to have to look at this dent every day. I guess it depends on how much the repair quote is for. So I'm off to the body shop tomorrow morning to get an estimate. Clackity-clak, Ill let you know how it goes.

-T

So I finally heard from the girl that hit me, or I guess I heard from her Mom. They want me to get an estimate first so that they can consider the option of paying out of pocket. I don't think she understands that I have the option of pocketing the insurance company check. Right now I'm trying to figure out how much it will bother me to have to look at this dent every day. I guess it depends on how much the repair quote is for. So I'm off to the body shop tomorrow morning to get an estimate. Clackity-clak, Ill let you know how it goes.

-T

Get a couple of estimates and then give them the more expensive one.

My dads tail light was out on his D21 hardbody... The local shop wanted $79 I got one new (from a dealer) on ebay for $20 + $5 S/H Looked to be the same quality as OEM or better... I would try ebay if you are going for a new taillight.

-Mike

Price out a new back gate from the junkyard.... preferably one the same color as yours....

I know i paid $600 for a rear bumper I hit in the McDonalds Drive-thru..... not a scratch on it... I met the gal at the same McD's 3 days later to pay for it, and it looked like she had side swiped a dump truck....

Get a couple of estimates and then give them the more expensive one.

I really don't have the time to get multiple estimates, but I got one this morning for about $1200 Which will do all things considered. As far as giving the girl a break I feel like I am by not insisting we go through her insurance. As 87pathy pointed out, she hit me and I just want fair compensation.

-T

you could always fix the dent your self (take off the liner and use a hammer and such). im sure that there tips and tricks that you can find online or on the forum, get some touch up paint and a JY tail light cover and pocket the rest.

Walked out to the Pathy to go to lunch and there was a wad of papers stuffed under the windshield wiper. I open it to discover the gnomes from Progressive had been by and left me a check for a very reasonable amount. I think I'll invest in some other goodies for the pathy and leave the dent as a warning to other Jeeps to back the f*&K off! Thanks to all for the tips and advice.

-T :bounce:

I found the light I needed for ten dollars at the JY. They had three miserable looking pathys there. Not really a whole lot left on any of them, it was kind of sad.

THANKS RYAN! :beer:

Yeah, they are sad looking, but at least they had the part you needed :aok: .

Did you see the rolled Xterra back there? Been thinking real hard about grabbing it's axels, 4.9 gears :sssh: .