Any Fermentors On NPORA

dagwoodzz

Hope to get 6 gallons. It's been 3 years since I've made any wine at all. It's strange how you just stop doing things you love. Hopefully it won't turn out too sweet. Should know in about 4 weeks. :beer:

I've always wanted to...I've wanted to grow some nice grapes and get an oak barrell and all and do it right. But we just don't have the climate here to grow grapes. The growing season here is way too short in Montana. But to get some cabernet grapes would be awesome!

I have grapes in my front yard, but they haven't produced any in a few years now. I should look into rearing grapes and see what they need. I'd love to home-brew some beer sometime. :D

Grape vines need to be pruned every year if you want them to produce fruit properly. It's a little late now to prune. Pruning is usually done in March or April (at least here in California), before the vines start pushing leaves. Proper pruning for grape vines is to cut any unwanted canes off at the wood, and wanted canes should be cut a little above the second bud.

My parents own a vineyard and winery so if anyone has any questions on making wine or growing grapes, I'd be more than happy to try and help.

I usually just eat some starch, yeasty bread, sugar, wash it down with an unfiltered beer as a starter and hope for the best. Some mornings I do believe it works...

B

how long does it take for grapes to grow? isnt it 3 years after planting the vines

Two to three years is about how long it takes for them to start producing fruit, but from a winery's perspective they don't produce significant amounts of fruit for about 4 to 5 years. But once they start to produce fruit they will continue to do so for a very long time, as long as the vines are well cared for and pruned yearly.

If you don't have grapes you can buy them canned from wine suppliers on-line. From what I've read, the canned grapes are 2nds that have been rejected by the winery's.

I've bought canned blueberries from a wine supplier as a novelty and entertainment. It was actually good, but my yeast died on me and it didn't have much kick. I've been afraid of going after something more expensive like Merlot or Shiraz. You could easily spend close to a $100 and 2 or 3 months ending up w/ $2 wine.

It's easier to accept failure when it doesn't cost you a lot of money.

sorry to keep jacking your thread but, im a baking and pastry student and we study dessert wines and ive gotten really interested in them, what kind of yeast do you use? is it a special kind just for fermenting or can you use live dry or even SAF yeast, or do you buy the blocks of live yeast? and how does say the strawberry wine tast opposed to grape, sweeter? or just more like strawberry

Jack away man, it was just a conversation starter anyway.

I use a dry wine yeast called Red Star Montachet. it's $2 bucks a pack and will ferment 5 gallons. I've made Strawberry wine with brewers yeast from Walmart. I can't really tell the difference personally, b/c I'm not a professional and it's usually pretty sweet anyway.

I do know the brewers yeast has a strong odor, almost funky mold, where the wine yeast is softer like a wet cornmeal smell. That will affect the taste, but in the wine making process the yeast falls to the bottom after it dies.

This batch I cut back on the sugar, supposed to use 12lbs for 5 gallons, but this will be 10lbs for 6 gallons. I'm interested to what it is like semi-dry.

Professionals in general don't acknowledge anything as wine unless it came from a grape. Even if civilization was making wine at the same time they were drawing pictures in the dirt with sticks. :shrug:

I have always wanted to brew up some shine but never really have the place to do it...we tried a 5 gallon bucket set up in college and it didnt work...i love some strawberry shine tho...good thing the race is only a week away...

I didn't want to get into that part, but when you rack your wine for the first time, you can take all the pulp and start a second ferment. Strawberry Shine and coke when done right taste just like a shirley temple.

Years ago you could buy stills on E-bay, they're kinda of hard to find lately. Don't know if its ebay rules or what.

I'm planning a poser pic for June TOTM. It'll be interesting.

Hope to get 6 gallons. It's been 3 years since I've made any wine at all. It's strange how you just stop doing things you love. Hopefully it won't turn out too sweet. Should know in about 4 weeks. :beer:

be careful with that stuff! :friday: it can pack a mean punch!

I've been making wine for the last 6 or 7 years now. I used to work at this company called Kamil Juices and i would do all the on-premise winemaking. I still buy the odd 20l batch off her to make in my basement. It's a little pricey but the juice she sells is like flash-pasturized tropicana. She brings it to cananda in 10l jugs from France, Italy, Germany, Hungary etc. she'll even do mail order for you.

The owners also run Cox Creek Cellars which made a kick@ss cranberry wine. It's suprisingly good. you should try to make some one time.

I am homebrewing my own beer now. I am on my 3rd batch. I am presently waiting on a batch of Nut brown ale similar to New Castle (I am hoping). My next batch is going to be a raspberry wheat. Mainly because my wife has always liked raspberry wheat beers.

I am homebrewing my own beer now. I am on my 3rd batch. I am presently waiting on a batch of Nut brown ale similar to New Castle (I am hoping). My next batch is going to be a raspberry wheat. Mainly because my wife has always liked raspberry wheat beers.

Great! I've never tried beer. The people I talked too and what I've read always emphasized sterilization. I'm not what you call a "careful person" so it makes me afraid that I might ruin it with a dirty spoon or something.

Have your brews been successful? How closely do you follow directions and order of operations?

If my strawberry turns out okay, perhaps we can do swap! :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...
I have always wanted to brew up some shine but never really have the place to do it...we tried a 5 gallon bucket set up in college and it didnt work...i love some strawberry shine tho...good thing the race is only a week away...

I think your on to something Unccpathfinder! :beer:

1001448ts9.th.jpg

• 7 months later...
Great! I've never tried beer. The people I talked too and what I've read always emphasized sterilization. I'm not what you call a "careful person" so it makes me afraid that I might ruin it with a dirty spoon or something.

Have your brews been successful? How closely do you follow directions and order of operations?

If my strawberry turns out okay, perhaps we can do swap! :unsure:

Wow dagwoodzz! I never even saw your reply or I would have definitely traded up with ya! I have made 5- different 5-gallon batches of beer so far. My favorite is between a strawberry wheat I made and a Nut-brown old castle clone with some different hops. I was just getting really into it when I got this job and now my brewing equipment sits in storage. A sad day indeed. But Pondwater Brewing Co. will brew again!!