Strut (collision) rod bushings

87 Pfinder

I have seen these bushings, as low as 60,000 miles, rub through the metal sleeve, that the bushings ride on, and rub into the actual metal arm. I have seen them up to 50% worn on the arm. I would think that it would break at that point if heavily off-roaded. The original rubber bushings are sh*t. My pfind had 99,000 when I changed to Moog urethane ones. They were worn through and I had to heat the sleeve with a torch and chisel the sleeeve off the rod. It was worn through worse on one side, so I went to my 3 doner Nissans trucks and ALL of them were worn through the sleeve. I took them all off and chose the best two. When you replace the bushings, put heavy anti seize under the sleeve before install. The Moog bushing made a big diffrence over the worn out stock rubber bushings.

Same difference, there are several different names for the same thing. Who told me, like I don't know what I am talking about. I have been working on cars long enough to know different names for things. Nissan calls them compression rods on 4x4,yes. The post was not just to let people know about the bushings, but moreso the compression rod being worn through. 88 knows all.

Edited by 87 Pfinder

just pulled some off that had 275k on them...no issues :shrug: but they are being upgraded with the new UCAs...i've also heard of them as connecting rods...or that do hickey with the 2 bolts on the UCA...

88 knows all.

dont be jumping on 88...he has the power to P... i think what he was mainly getting at is there are topics all over about this...

Edited by unccpathfinder

Same difference, there are several different names for the same thing. Who told me, like I don't know what I am talking about. I have been working on cars long enough to know different names for things. Nissan calls them compression rods on 4x4,yes. The post was not just to let people know about the bushings, but moreso the compression rod being worn through. 88 knows all.

Interesting way for someone new to the board to get going.

Your post reads rather harshly and almost troll like, you may want to cool the rhetoric a bit and be a bit more civil.

88 may not know "everything" but he knows way more than I do and I respect him for that. I also value his observations as so far for me they seem to be pretty good. He is also a very good site administrator who has kept this forum going while the owner has been going through a rough patch.

There's a fix for the bushing seats as well. I can't remember the part#, but there's a bearing race you can get that has the same diameter of the cup the bushing rides in. Mine were toasted so I chisled the cups off and welded the bearing races on when I replaced the comp rods. :aok:

Oh, please. Sorry to seem teacher-ish, I was just surprised to see them called that, that's all. No harm, no foul, no worries. We all know what's being discussed.

yea...yea...dont back off now...jk...we all like to give u a hard time...and every now and then learn u some new things...but after my move to cali i plan to meet up at least once and do a trail ride..at least so u can show my ass up and be like yea this stupid (in a just kidding way) somebitch tried to do this and i told him not to...u could have def been more harsh...was just trying to let him know being a "ghost" didnt earn him any credit...i did that for a long time and thru that and engineering ingenuity (spelled horribly cuze im too lazy to use m-w.com) i learned new things and confidence in things that were accomplishable (new made up words) that actually worked and made my way in to the semi 88 world (know my nissans well at least my 87 and 95 to make it worth while...but 88 is the man and his pathy is the @!*%....(sorry if this is rambling or doesnt make sense but the roommate and i got a 1/4 keg of budweiser tonight and the brain is slowish...

Same difference, there are several different names for the same thing. Who told me, like I don't know what I am talking about. I have been working on cars long enough to know different names for things. Nissan calls them compression rods on 4x4,yes. The post was not just to let people know about the bushings, but moreso the compression rod being worn through.  88 knows all.

Actually, if you were to search you would find that I just went through this same problem a few months ago....

http://npora.ipbhost.com//index.php?showto...compression+rod :D;)

Edited by govols74n

When you changed them did you have to back off of t-bars? And what was the method you used.

Actually, since the rod it's self had broken, and I couldn't get the bolts loose, I ended up cutting the bolts off with my grinder and replacing the nuts, bolts, bushings, and the compression/tension rod. I didn't mess with the T-bars, although it might have helped. I used pry bars, foul language and busted knuckles.... honestly.

just pulled some off that had 275k on them...no issues :shrug: but they are being upgraded with the new UCAs...i've also heard of them as connecting rods...or that do hickey with the 2 bolts on the UCA...

dont be jumping on 88...he has the power to P... i think what he was mainly getting at is there are topics all over about this...

LCA :D

Well I was crawlin' around under my pathy today and remebered this post. I noticed that either side looked the same as the other. Turns out the passenger side is missing one of the bushings. I guess that explains the tire rub I've been having lately. :shrug::angry: Damn.

Edited by fondo

There's a fix for the bushing seats as well. I can't remember the part#, but there's a bearing race you can get that has the same diameter of the cup the bushing rides in. Mine were toasted so I chisled the cups off and welded the bearing races on when I replaced the comp rods. :aok:

Don't even say that after I spent 2 hours cutting, welding, grinding, and hammering to make new ones from scratch.... :blink:

Schwabby told me to replace my whachamajiggers then the Goodyear fellas said that nothing was wrong with the whozits. Sooooo, I guess I don't know what I'm getting at. :shrug:

So what some of you are saying is that there's a sleeve that separates the bushing from the rod itself (that would make sense I suppose). Any way, when you buy new bushings, do they come with these sleeves or will I need to hunt some down or even fab some up. I guess it depends on the manufacturer, right? Any one know which manufacturer sells the bushings w/the sleeves?

You'll get new rod sleeves with the kit, but if yours are worn through the comp rod might be damaged as well and would need to be replaced.

This is the kit:

838631f3811dad0f3a486ac0fd3f3246.jpg

What MWS and I were referring to was the cups mounted on the chassis that the bushings ride in.

If the cups look ok, don't sweat it. If they're completely rusted like mine were, you can take your new bushing to a real auto parts store (not Auto Zone or Advanced) and they might be able to match up a bearing race that can be welded in as a replacement.

You'll get new rod sleeves with the kit, but if yours are worn through the comp rod might be damaged as well and would need to be replaced.

This is the kit:

838631f3811dad0f3a486ac0fd3f3246.jpg

What MWS and I were referring to was the cups mounted on the chassis that the bushings ride in.

If the cups look ok, don't sweat it. If they're completely rusted like mine were, you can take your new bushing to a real auto parts store (not Auto Zone or Advanced) and they might be able to match up a bearing race that can be welded in as a replacement.

I bought the bushing kit at a NAPA parts store....

Hey thanks for the replies guys. I'm assuming the kit you bought at napa had all the component for this job (i.e. bushings and sleeves) govols74n

sure did, and price was something below 20 bucks too.... :)

Were they rubber or poly ones like the Engery Suspensions ones are? ;)

Nice, shiny poly's.....they had to order them for me though, they don't carry them in the back or anything....arrived at the store next day for pick up though.....those jokers were stiff as hell, I was trying to squeeze them a bit to get an extra washer on them (thicker) and had a heck of a time..