Stupid. Stupid stupid stupid

mws

I can't believe we did this.... Reconditioned the heads, put them back on. Forgot to torque the cam pulleys..... 320 fasteners, all but 2 carefully torqued. Forget 2.

NOT a trivial boo boo.

The engine fired right up, purred like a kitten. Nephew took for test drive. Grunch. The pulley bolt backed off, pulley slipped forward. Sheared the pulley locator boss off the cam, ripped out the locating pin, and hogged out the pulley.

Now to find out if it bent valves.

See parts wanted - we need a cam and pulley. I have the spare truck, but I was hoping to fire it up before gutting it. Plus it is not trivial to pull the head to get the cam out of it. We have plenty of work ahead already.

Yup! That's one of the things we said. Some of the other things were a little more colorful. Fortunately, we're experienced enough to know these things happen, and to just fall back, regroup, and attack again. :aok:

Yup! That's one of the things we said. Some of the other things were a little more colorful. Fortunately, we're experienced enough to know these things happen, and to just fall back, regroup, and attack again. :aok:

WOW! You're right, that's not a trivial little "OOPS". But it's good to see that despite the initial (and possibly some presently remaining) anguish, you are maintaining a positive attitude.

Good on ya - - :clap::clap::clap:

Good luck and have fun.

Here comes the cavalry, to our rescue! Thanks, all!

Square teeth, just the LH (driver's) side.

Aaron - Thank you so much for the offer. If I need it, I will send you my street address. Trade you a TH-700r4 for it!

Here are my options for now:

1) Order new Sealed Power cam/sprocket combo from Rock Auto for $150

2) Find a cam from a board member (might need Aaron's sprocket to complete)

3) Pull the cam from little black

Martin, when my RH cam broke I picked one up at Delta Camshaft in Tacoma, WA

Delta Camshaft

1938 Tacoma Avenue South

Tacoma, WA 98402

(253) 572-2474

Just got off the phone with them, $45 + $30 core. Shipping estimated at about $9.

And they have them in stock.

Just an idea :aok:

Got the Head P... still need to find the sprocket.... I will pull the cam tomorrow. should be an early day, I left the office at 730 tonight....

Wondering if I can just wrap it in bubble pack and drop it into FedEx???

k9sar Posted on Mar 20 2007, 07:28 AM

if it'll fit in a flat rate USPS box... it's only 8 bucks to ship

Something about a Corporate Account :hide:

Martin I got some Mortgage Info im sending you shortly.... Now where the hell did that sprocket roll off too?????

LOL. I used to work in a medical book distribution center. I had quite a large order shipped to my college, in my name, to pick up personally. No luggage and all my stuff was there when I arrived.

Damn Martin... I have nothing you need, just wanted to say G*D F#kkin D@mmit in support. This is something I learned in machining (the hard way) and carried over to mechanics. NEVER interupt a step, finish the one at hand completely before walking away(you don't always remember). But then you know that...

Sorry about the mess.

B

Martin,

Pulled out the drivers side Cam, all 6 valves did not want to seat, so when I blew the timing belt, it did a bang up job P...

The front Seal was a B!tch... Only problem I see, is the second Bearing has some groves in it(pic) There were no leaks and it was not making any funny noises...

Your Choice....