ALL TERRAIN TIRES

Lord_likuid

Hey whats up!!!... i just got BF GOODRICH tires ALL TERRAIN 235 70 R 16

I had 255 65 R16, The reason i went smaller it was because they did not have 255 65 R16 they only had 255 70 R16 wish are bigger.

Is not a big diff. if you think that 70 is a porcentage of 235

Some else tried this before???

255=width...70=measurement between the rim and edge of tire/or the bottom of the rim and the ground depending how you look at it....70's are just a bit taller than 65's that's all....235's should be narrower.

umm sorta...i thought the 2'nd # was the ratio so a 255 70 would actually be .7*255=178.5mm tall sidewall...i could be wrong but i'm pretty sure thats what they learned us in road vehicle dynamics...a 65 would be 165.75 tall sidewall

a 3" (70mm) sidewall would be pretty small...but i was curious and found some google answers and this should clear it all up...

http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesArticle/id-2667.html

Edited by unccpathfinder

THANKS GUYS!!!...

NOW I JUST WISH I COULD LIF IT.... SUCKS THAT THE LOCAL STORE DONT HAVE ANY LIFT KITS... I SAW SOME IN 4X4PART.COM BUT I AM NOT SURE WHO WOULD DO THE LABOR ON IT... SINCE I DONT HAVE THE TOOLS AND I AM NOT REALLY FAMILIAR WITH THIS KIND OF VEHICULE

THANKS GUYS!!!...

NOW I JUST WISH I COULD LIF IT.... SUCKS THAT THE LOCAL STORE DONT HAVE ANY LIFT KITS... I SAW SOME IN 4X4PART.COM BUT I AM NOT SURE WHO WOULD DO THE LABOR ON IT... SINCE I DONT HAVE THE TOOLS AND I AM NOT REALLY FAMILIAR WITH THIS KIND OF VEHICULE

Your local shop or even pep boys can install the lift. The AC lift isn't available in stores, so your only option would be to order it online and have it installed or install it yourself.

umm sorta...i thought the 2'nd # was the ratio so a 255 70 would actually be .7*255=178.5mm tall sidewall...i could be wrong but i'm pretty sure thats what they learned us in road vehicle dynamics...a 65 would be 165.75 tall sidewall

a 3" (70mm) sidewall would be pretty small...but i was curious and found some google answers and this should clear it all up...

http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesArticle/id-2667.html

You speak with the wisdom of a learned man.... :D

well.... that is my first update... i am planing to put either a grille guard or a ARB front bumper but am not sure... its gonna look like a huge monster after hungry for mud!!!! when i get it done!!!!! haha

before you go with a bumper you might consider some armor, i got a large chunk of ice stuck over the U-joint on the front of the Tcase and i think beating that around might have caused a leak in that front seal. just something for you to think about :)

Since I need new tires on my '86 Chevy, I'm actually about to replace the BFG All Terrains on our Pathfinder and swap the tires onto the 15"x8" rally wheels on the truck.

I love my 31x10.5 BFG's. We have driven for 4 years now (mostly city and highway) and still have at least 12/16" (3/8") of tread left - they originlay start with 16/32" (1/2"). I could run them for many more years on the Pathy, but since my truck needs new tires now too, I thought this was the best of both worlds. And since the truck is not a daily driver, they should last me for years...

• 1 year later...
i just got the tires on.... they are sooooo nice!!!!!!!

Looks pretty good! I'm also considering to buy a set of all terrain tire, BFG's All Terrain T/A is on top of my list so far. My stock tire is 255/65-R16, thinking of going with BFG's A/T 255/70-R16, but I'm not quite sure if it will fit well on my 99.5 Pathy. Any idea on the gas milsage drop if switch from regular All-season tires to All-Terrain?

Thanks

Dave

Edited by DaveEDM

YEAH BUT 235 IS NOT THAT NARROWER IS A COUPLE OF MILIMITERS ONLY

Well, a couple is 2. So that is 10 couples narrower, 20mm.

20mm is .787 inches. Not a huge amount in width so the difference shouldn't be noticed for normal city driving. The diameter is only 1.25MM difference where tire manufactures generally vary by as much as +/3MM so that doesn't matter either. I doubt you can tell the difference other than having fresh rubber. Shop well...

thinking of going with BFG's A/T 255/70-R16, but I'm not quite sure if it will fit well on my 99.5 Pathy. Any idea on the gas milsage drop if switch from regular All-season tires to All-Terrain?

They will fit fine unless you are within 12.7mm or .5" of rubbing right now, which I seriously doubt. Gas milage may drop 1mpg max due to the 'larger' tires, but I doubt you will tell the difference. The BFG AT is a smooth driving tread that doesn't effect MPG, especially if you inflate them properly. The variance between AT tread and 65/70% diameter will probably matter less in MPG compared to how you drive, what mood you are in, how late you are, what traffic is like. They are good tires, get them and don't worry.

B

• 3 weeks later...