Exhaust pipe diameter? Mufflers?

VW_Factor

• 5 years later...

Yeah, got a little spare money, and going to get an aftermarket muffler. Just the usual Flowmaster, or whatever.

I dont have a proper tool for measuring the pipe. Anyone know off the top of their head what the pipe diameter is?

2 inches outside diameter on stock pathfinder. inside diameter is 1 7/8 inches hope this helps I just finished mine.good luck.

2 inches outside diameter on stock pathfinder. inside diameter is 1 7/8 inches hope this helps I just finished mine.good luck.

1 7/8" is stock size i think

yep 1 7/8" OD is what my pipes were. I think its a metric thing.(48mm)

All OE replacement pipes come 2"OD because they are US Standard production.

and BTW this thread is 5 years dead.

Edited by MY1PATH

• 1 month later...

If you had a straight pipe and no lift it would have too exit below the rear axle. If it was a lifted truck you might be able too run it above but I believe the driver side spring would be in the way (straight back from the muffler)

But as Adamzan has said any exhaust shop can bend you a new tail pipe.

You can have it exit below the bumper in the rear but it wont do anything other then drone a little more at speed (90's dont drone as much strangly)

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 96 R50 and my muffler is rusted enough that I can put my hand inside. I was wondering if i just chopped the muffler off and just attached a pipe instead of a new muffler would I lose power or gas milage? Could it do any damage?

No but it is a 2 into 1 muffler. A straight pipe will not work but a Y pipe will. At that point you might as well just get another muffler. Y pipes can get a little expensive to fabricate.

For the WD21 borla still makes a cat back system. They say its for 93 to 95 but the only difference in the exhaust systems from 87 to 95 is the convertor is shorter after 93. I put a 94 convertor and the borla cat back on my 87 and it sounds pretty good. It gets louder when the system is hot. Helped my power and fuel mileage after the screwed up situation I had with my Y pipe so I would say the flow is pretty good. It's not a straight through muffler design and has 2 1/2 mandrel bent tail pipe. I got mine through amazon in stainless for $360 shipped. The aluminized pipe is cheaper.

James

The last muffler i had on my hardbody was a Borla, I liked it. Just got done speaking to the company about getting a muffler the same or similar to the one I had way back, they were very helpful, returned my e-mail the very next day that I wrote to them. I had a flowmaster but it cracked ( this was when flowmaster first came out and they only had one model)

For the WD21 borla still makes a cat back system. They say its for 93 to 95 but the only difference in the exhaust systems from 87 to 95 is the convertor is shorter after 93. I put a 94 convertor and the borla cat back on my 87 and it sounds pretty good. It gets louder when the system is hot. Helped my power and fuel mileage after the screwed up situation I had with my Y pipe so I would say the flow is pretty good. It's not a straight through muffler design and has 2 1/2 mandrel bent tail pipe. I got mine through amazon in stainless for $360 shipped. The aluminized pipe is cheaper.

James

Do you happen to have a link? Or model number? I'm only asking cause I checked and couldn't find it

My mistake it's not borla it's Gibson. I'm working 12 hour days 7 days a week right now, sometimes I don't even remember where I live at the end of the day! This is the one I bought. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LG1OH6/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00 They have it in aluminized pipe too for cheaper but I wanted stainless. http://www.gibsonexhaust.com/dci.html

After the best muffler shop I could get recommended building me a screwed up Y pipe for my headers I decided I would have to do my own exhaust work too. I started searching cat back systems for pathfinders and Gibson was the only cat back still in production for the WDs. I'm happy with it. It fit perfect, sounds good and helped out my performance and fuel mileage.

James

• Like 1