Temp gauge and other issues

forrer13

Hi guys, I am new to this forum and have a few questions for you Pathfinder gurus.

I have a 94 SE with 166000 miles, seems to run well and most everything works but I have discovered a couple of issues since I bought the rig.

1. The temperature gauge reads low all the time. When I say low I mean the needle only comes up off cold by less than 1/4 inch. Is this normal? Do you think someone has removed the thermostat or is there an issue with the gauge or sender unit?

2. Both outer CV boots are torn and need replaced. The axles are still covered with grease inside so as long as I don't use 4 wheel drive the repairs can wait till spring. However is there a tutorial or link somewhere on how to how to replace the boots without pulling the hubs apart? Is it possible to do this by simply unbolting the front axles at the pumpkin and sliding the axle out?

Thats about it for now, I am sure I will have more to follow.

Thanks in advance

Damon

:beer:

Our trucks generally run cool. My temp guage typically hovers around the same area. Though, your fan clutch could be seized, keeping the fan on all the time. With the truck off, try to spin the fan. If it doesn't spin, the clutch is seized.

On the CV boots, you should get them done ASAP. Regardless of whether or not 4x4 is used, dirt/grime will enter the joints, and mess them up. You have to take apart the hubs to get the CV's out. And the inner joint has to be removed from the shaft to put a boot on the outer CV. You can try a split boot, though, I've never had any luck with them, and would recommend taking the time to put on a proper boot. Search around for CV joint removal/replacement....the threads are on here.

I've never been able to FIND split boots for Pathfinders.

There is a temp gauge sending unit for the gauge only, you could try replacing that and see what the gauge does for you afterward. They're not that expensive, and it's right in front of the engine on top, easy to get to.

I've never been able to FIND split boots for Pathfinders.

i believe someone said a/c sell the split boots fer like $20 a pair, i know my local kragens can get them for me.... they cost about $5-10 more but are uber easier to install....... sly

and yes, FINDING them is a challenge..... hehe

Edited by Slick

I haven't owned my 93 Pathy for very long (just coming up on a year), the temp gauge usually sits at just before the halfway mark. One in awhile when sitting in traffic it goes just a little bit past the halfway mark.

To my knowledge it has never overheated, but I do not really trust factory gauges.

I also replaced an outer boot on my CV axle recently. I did not have to remove the inboard boot inorder to replace it, however, I did have to remove the whole axle assembly in order to get a good whack at it.

The boot was $11 at a local parts store.

Good Luck,

Tye

I also replaced an outer boot on my CV axle recently. I did not have to remove the inboard boot inorder to replace it, however, I did have to remove the whole axle assembly in order to get a good whack at it.

How? I don't know of a way to get the boot on the outer CV, without sliding it over the entire shaft, once the inner CV is removed.

Thank you all for your quick responses.

Some notes:

Fan clutch seems ok, fan spins freely with engine off, so I think I will change out the temp sensor for the gauge, and see what happens.

I am going to try out the split boots before I remove the axles to change them out properly. This I can do right away and see how they hold up until spring.

I will keep you all informed of my progress, thanks again.

Damon

Yeah, they are.

MikeVanceinWI,

Try searching for a boot for a 94. I've found with some aftermarket parts places, they don't have listings for 95, as halfway through, they started making the R50.....

It'll be the same part.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing that I noticed in the 12 years that I have owned my 1995 Pathfinder is that they run cool, at least that's what the temp gauge always said. One time a few years ago, I was having the coolant flushed, so I had the shop throw in a new Thermostat. I always go with OEM Nissan parts, but that day the dealer was out of stock on the thermostat, so I got one from NAPA. With the aftermarket thermostat in place the temp was higher, who knows why, but I went back to an OEM Nissan part and all was fine again.

Zack

probably your thermostat isn't working. Does it blow hot air in the vents. It should get pretty warm in the cab after driving for awhile. If it's just warm air it's probab;y your thermostat. Replaced mine and now the guage reads aproz 1/2 and have a nice warm cab

pathfinders like to run below half mark on the temp gage. the fan shouldn't really spin that freely. it should spin but then stop pretty quickly.

don't waste your time with the split boot. they are about as good as the split boot you have on there now. however, they are great as an on trail replacement (temporary.) otherwise they are pretty worthless. if the boots are split i guarantee it that there is crap in that grease that you just can't see. to do it properly you need to disassemble the joint and clean it of ALL the grease then repack and put on a new solid boot. you will have to open up the hub etc.. it's really just time consuming and the bj is kind of a pita to get back in but it's not really that hard.

btw. many split boots are somewhat generic as they normally fit a bunch of different makes and models.

I changed out the temperature sender unit for about $8 but it made no difference to the needle position, still less than 1/4 up the scale. Next I will replace the thermostat when I do the timing belt this spring. That will be right ater I replace the CV boots. Untill then its too cold here to be out working in an unheated garage. See you in spring.

If you're blowing hot air after the engine as warmed to operating temp I woud think you're good to go. One hot arse summer day a couple of years back we were on our way home, 70 mph, max AC, outside temp at or near 100 F and my temp gauge rose to the high mark what ever temp that is. Cooler her off at the rest station and didn't run her quite as hard the rest of the trip. That time I had a lot of cack on my rad. so I had poor heat trasfer. Replaced the rad. and the temp gauge was back to normal for my 'finder, which is roughly 1/8-1/4" off the stone cold mark. But if you're going to do the t-belt job change the t-stat while you're there. And if you're in a climate that is cold this time of year your temp gauge will never read very high. You could do a quick and dirty test to check your gauge by blocking off your rad with a piece of cardboard and see what happens. In theory the temp should rise and your gauge needle should rise as well.

Stay warm it was all of -1 F in the great State of Missery this morning.