Timing belts.....

SaKaNa

Whats everyone here pay to have them changed? I'm somewhere over 100K now and figure its time to do something about the timing belt. I've got two fears with my Pathfinder. One is that I'll hydrolock off-roading and not be able to pull plug 6, and the other is that the timing belt will go bad, so I think its time to start looking into this.

If you buy the parts yourself, expect to pay around 150

If you have the work done, expect to pay a total of $500-$600 (a mechanic also gets the parts for way less than 150 but its the labor thats costs money)

I must admit, my 3.5 has not been nearly as trouble free as the 3.3. Somedays I wonder if the extra power is worth all the trouble. Also, the gas milage is horrible.

What troubles have you had w/ it?

And as far as gas mileage is concerned, I know I'm mostly at fault when I'm getting 15 in the city...I need to be lighter on the skinny pedal. :D

around $500 for the works

timimg belt

tensioners

cam seals

all other belts

water pump

thermostat

anything i missed?

You also want to change the crank seal and the coolant recover hose. I was quoted at 850 for the t-belt, tensioner, cam and crank seals, thermostat, coolant recover hose, spark plugs and complete coolant flush. I did it myself for around 375 bucks (would have been cheaper but I broke my crankshaft pulley Cost like 200 bucks!!)

Timing chains usually last the life of the engine. However, symptoms that the timing chain may need to be replaced (because it has stretched) are: clattering noise coming from the front of the engine and poor performance/driveability due to inaccurate valve timing.

Edited by XPLORx4

So I'm sitting here at work and decide its time for some coffee, I take a short walk down to the local restaurant who I know the owner of really well, so I just go on in and take stuff. So I happen to see my mechanic Glenn in the waiting area, so I told him how much better my new brakes / tires are, and asked him what I'm looking at for a new timing belt job... he said that normally the whole thing runs around $500, but he could do it for me for $400.

Does the timing belt only need to be changed at 100k or so miles, or odes it have to be changed at 50k as well? When I got my truck around 86k, the previous owner said that the belt was changed at 75k and that I didn't have to worry about it.

So I'm sitting here at work and decide its time for some coffee, I take a short walk down to the local restaurant who I know the owner of really well, so I just go on in and take stuff. So I happen to see my mechanic Glenn in the waiting area, so I told him how much better my new brakes / tires are, and asked him what I'm looking at for a new timing belt job... he said that normally the whole thing runs around $500, but he could do it for me for $400.

i'd say that's a good deal if you don't want to do the work yourself. i paid 425 at a local shop to have everything mentioned above changed...with the exception of the coolant hose.

• 5 weeks later...
I thought that was called the bypass hose...no biggie though.  Definitely get it done though.  Mine had 1.5 inches of deflection with no more than 1-2 lbs of pressure.  Very loose and worn.

Where is this "coolant recovery hose"???

Please, I need to know by Monday, the QX4 is going in for surgery!

Thanks in advance!

Edited by FUELER

• 2 years later...

Just got it done 1/26/10 Timing Belt/Water Pump and all belts installed labor and all at $312 out the door.

I had 122k on the clock and the belt was factory so probably a good thing it was done when it was.

James H