ITS BACK!

BLouisGod

I had one, the "steering box" thread - the OP asked a question and two days later I checked to see if there were any answers and the site was gone :(

Thanks for bringing this site back up, '88 :aok:

hmmm active links is gone so here: http://npora.ipbhost.com//index.php?&act=S...&CODE=getactive

change the parimiter to a week or more and your threads shall magically re-appear pretty close to the top. hurry because they won't be there that long. :)

What happened is this: due to old (unupdated) forum software that is fairly unsecure, someone from Russia repeatedly used a hacking program to plant an iframe script in the forum's HTML coding (in different places each time) that gave everyone a virus or Trojan when any page was loaded.

The reason we have had no updates is that we're running a free version of Invision Power Board. The paid version (the upgradeable vcersion, I might add) costs around $200 and Jim has enough bills to pay without trying to worry about upgrading the forums. There are mods, security upgrades and GOOD hacks available for this software, though. I CAN upgrade and hack-proof things, given access to the base files hosted in IPB's server. I simply have not had access to anything BUT the forum software "in situ" since Jim left and never got around to giving me the username and password needed to access the base files.

Anyway, after deleting the code for the virus three times, the hacker got smart and stuck the code somewhere I couldn't get to. It was ABOVE the HTML header at the very beginning of the HTML that loaded every page and I was unable to eliminate it on my end, so I called up IPB and they got 'er taken care of. Shortly thereafter the skin info file(the info for colors, fonts and text sizing) somehow lost all info and couldn't be read by the forum software, resulting in an error message and no forum accessibility EXCEPT for the Admin command post. I contacted Jim, who contacted IPB again to see about getting it fixed, but the emails crossed paths and nobody got around to doing anything. I finally got fed up with the waiting and started messing around with the skin file options, which I was rather hesitant to do in the first place because I'm unfamiliar with this forum software and didn't want to mess anything else up even further by experimentation... I started looking through the options for skins and decided it wouldn't hurt to create a new skin based on the old one, with no mods. So, I created it, set it as default skin for the forum and voila, it worked. I about fell out of my chair! Good times!

I'm glad you all like the forum so much. Hell, if I didn't like it it'd probably still be down...but I do! I apologize for the down time and promise to do my best to upgrade and keep things going smoothly. It doesn't look like Jim is going to take much interest in it anymore, but he's still alive. He even gave the IPB people implicit instructions to allow me complete and total access to the site(minus HIS site, nissanpathfinders.com)...which means that I can FINALLY install security upgrades, possibly more smilies(I know Slick and Pezzy will love that), and other things to make the forum more useable and functional.

Thank you very much and welcome back, everybody! Have fun!

By the way, if anyone EVER has concerns about the forum, be it virus-related, member-related, post-related or function-related, please let me know so I can work on it. I am available on AIM some of the time under the SN "TomKzinti" or "x88pathoffroadx". My email address is 88pathoffroad@gmail.com. Thanks.

Does this have anything to do with that virus? I blew two pc's at work from it (now you know how i spend my time... sssh ). The IT guy was very disapointed. BUTT, glad to see the site too.

which means that I can FINALLY install security upgrades, possibly more smilies(I know Slick and Pezzy will love that),

Thank you very much and welcome back, everybody! Have fun!

:clap::clap: you da man!!!!!!!! -bounce- :beer::aok:

Do you have Paypal? It's not too much to ask 20 regulars to send you $10 for the upgrade. It's not right for you to front the whole amount.

/\ yup, I am sure you could get enough of us whores to chip in.

I'm willing to put in my 2 cents (USD even!) :P