Spark plugs ?

nessy357

A tip that can save you some frustration, put a piece of tape inside the socket, this will hold the plugs in the socket as you remove them and ensure they don't fall into some very dark and hark to reach places. Test it on one of the new plugs for snugness. Use a piece of vacuum hose to thread the new plugs into the cylinders, makes it easier to get them started and should prevent cross threading. Also, clean the spark plug recesses with an air hose before you start, mine had a ton of crud in them, not good if it falls into a cylinder and lodges under a valve seat etc. Lastly, use antisieze on the top half of the plug threads, will help down the road if you ever need to remove them again. This may be all common dog to you, if not, it may help prevent you from turning a small job into a big one.

Yes, use compressed air to clean the spark plug areas first.

The stock Nissan tool (under rear seat) already has a rubber grommet inside it to hold a spark plug. There are two of these tools. The shorter one is for plug #6. You do not need any tape for either of the OEM Nissan tools.

Please use NGK. Trust me. I've had Bosch platinum plugs fail in my Nissan TWICE (once in the middle of Baja) and in less than 12k miles.

I ran a single set of NGK plugs for 75k miles +, without a single problem. (they should be changed regularly anyways)

I only use NGK now, and i've never been happier.

Edited by FUELER

Guess my stock tool had the rubber removed, I speak from my own frustration of having plug#4 drop under the intake, took a bit of coaxing to get it out, the tape worked like a charm for the remaining plugs.

Edited by radar

I must be more of a mechanical dumbarse than I think. Never used the two factory plug removal tools until last night. Always extensions and a wobble joint. Tried the two factory tools out last night and they found themselves planted safely in my trash can a short time later. Junk POS.

Try this one on. Last time I changed plugs, wire, cap and rotor. Lifetime Warranty on all except the plugs. This time I ended up pulling three wires out at the connectors and I had to use a freakin' slide hammer to get one of the wire connectors off the spark plug just so that I could get my socket on it. Geez.

Oh well I get to start over with all new components.

Al Coholic sez: always consume some amount of alcohol prior to attempting any repairs on your vehicle. That way you always have some inanimate object to blame for your inabilities. -alcohol-

Now that is a stuck wire, mine were dirty after 170k, I think they were the originals, wires came right off in any case. I found the factory tools worked pretty well, I agree, usually use a plug socket with the obble extension my self, not sure why I didn't this time, in any case, they are done.

Glad you still have that tool set, many of us do not ;)

And I'll agree with the NGK's. I tried Autolites once and only once, my truck ran horribly. I took them out, put my old plugs (NGK) back in and back to the parts store of some new NGK's :aok:

NGK's are darned fine plugs, and all I use in Nissans.

i was running bosch's until venge hinted that i try NGK's...i will never turn back. i immediately saw an increase in gas mileage...+1 mpg...that'll add up in money saved!

I'm running the Bosch Platinum +4's in my 95, and never had an issue. Due for replacement soon, with over 100,000kms on them. I may try the NGK Iridium plugs next, but the Bosch plugs have served me well. :shrug:

I've ran both NGK and Bosch never had an issue with either. I'm sampling the Bosch P2's at the moment. In the past I've just ran Bosch's standard platinium plug. I'll see if there are any appreciable advantages to the P2's. Throttle response has diffenately improved but that could simply be the difference between old and new plugs.

Always extensions and a wobble joint. Tried the two factory tools out last night and they found themselves planted safely in my trash can a short time later. Junk POS.

What? I find the OEM Nissan tool to be *perfect* for plug #6. There is a groove cut into the firewall specifically for the plug #6 tool (the shorter tool).

I did cut my hands on the firewall the first time ever changing plugs, but it has been very easy ever since then. Changing plugs takes 10 minutes now, minus the time to blow compressed air all over the place.

Don't throw your tools away - if anything, sell them on here in the Classifieds. People need those.

What? I find the OEM Nissan tool to be *perfect* for plug #6. There is a groove cut into the firewall specifically for the plug #6 tool (the shorter tool).

I did cut my hands on the firewall the first time ever changing plugs, but it has been very easy ever since then. Changing plugs takes 10 minutes now, minus the time to blow compressed air all over the place.

Don't throw your tools away - if anything, sell them on here in the Classifieds. People need those.

seriously, i don't think that there could be another tool/extension that could do the job better for plug #6. the bend angles on the hand lever are made perfectly so that it clears the engine, and everything else in that area.

Guest SuperSon

Hello all!

I did mine yesterday and I didnt have any problem with the number 6 plug using a

1/4 inch extension in 6' and 1.5 and a 1/4 to 3/4 adapter for the spark plug socket.

Those are the extension that i can find in my toolbox and im not sure if sears has a 7" extension so you dont have to use 2 extensions.

If all this 3 are coupled together plus the spak plug socket its the same length as the oem plug tool. :D

It has to be a 1/4 inch coz a 3/4 extension would be too fat to get the rachet to fit against the firewall. I also used an air rachet to speed things up but a regular rachet would fit even better its just that itll take longer.

The only thing that I had problems with is the rotor.I found out that the center sleeve on the old rotor is aluminum and it seized with the metal prong of the distributor. Make sure that you get a rotor that has a metal sleeve and not aluminum.

Next time I do my plugs im going to use NGK iradiums coz those plugs are supposed to last 100k miles or you can just get one NGK iradium for the number 6 plug and the rest NGK V plus

I got halfway out of my seat to go take a picture for you... then remembered that it is under my seat, in my pathfinder, on the other side of town, locked in my mechanic's shop awaiting an engine transplant.

Sorry dude... anyone else? And I agree. Them Japanese engineers sure thought of the details for us. Right down to those little clips to hang the seatbelts on when you fold the back seats forward. That sparkplug tool ROCKS. I was cursing the engineers trying to figure out how to get at #6 when I happened to glance at the bag of tools I had idly tossed onto my work bench. Schweeeeet.