Stupid camp fire tricks...

mws

I think we all know what kinds of things go on around the campfire late at night in the middle of the Nevada desert.

Gasoline is a common toy. This past weekend, I learned a new (to me) trick.

Start with glass Sobe bottle (what, 20 oz or so?) and punch a small hole in the lid. You will need to experiment with size to get optimal effect.

Fill to about 1.5" from the top with gasoline.

Set in fire and move everybody WAAAAAYYYYY away.

If you get the hole just right, the gasoline will boil and spray gasoline vapor out the top, creating a spectacular 10' jet of flame and bichin noises. If the hole is jusssst small enough, it will build up enough pressure inside the bottle to blow the cap off, emitting a mushroom cloud flame about 30' into the air.

Of course, if the hole is too small or the bottle has a flaw in it, it is just as likely to explode like a hand grenade and blast glass fragments and balls of flame across the ground, so experiment at your own risk!!!

Uh huh. I have been called a "risk taker" and "not very conservative", but there was NO way I was putting that sucker in the fire. But that part turned out very anti-climactic and it took a minute or two for anything to happen.

But when it blew, Wow! The sound as well as the fire ball.... kaaa....FOOOOOMMMM!

So you have 3 scenario's with the hole in the bottle and what kinda results it produces...........You've been doing this how long?????? and have lost how many friends?????????

We want videos!!!!!!!

Another cool effect.....well maybe not as cool or dramatic as that one.

You take a piece garden hose, slit it lenght wise so you can fit it in a 1/2" copper pipe and throw it in a fire. The colors are pretty cool. Kindof like an firey auroa boreallus.......and no one has to back away from the fire. Just don't roast weiners ormarshmallows at the same time. :wacko:

Edited by denisb

Oh, I sooooo wish I could have had a video! It was absolutely spectacular, and had everybody hooping and hollering something fierce!

Allow me to point out that I have NOT done it myself, and I was one of the first to excuse myself from the immediate vicinity of the fire...

BUT, I can say that the PIC (Pyro in charge) reports having seen it done "many" times and has done it "several" times and he has 10 fingers and reports 0 casualties.

And theoretically, it is safer than it might seem, as liquid gasoline is not very flammable - only the vapor is. So as long as the glass remains intact, all should be good... If there are any cracks or chips or pits in the bottle, don't EVEN think about it! And if the bottle falls over, get away quickly! The PIC arranged the fire so there was a very stable "nest" to hold the bottle perfectly upright at the edge of the pit.

Hole too small: Too much pressure could build too quickly - I think we had one come very close to that - the gasoline vapor jet was so high pressure and being expelled so fast that it would self extinguish. By the time the vapor jet slowed down enough to ignite, it was well outside the flames of the fire. Just made a very angry hissing sound and you could see the gasoline vigorously boiling. I insisted every one move wayyyyy back and get behind blast protectors (trucks) when I saw that happening out of fear of the glass grenading. After 2 minutes of angry hissing, the cap finally blew off, to great admiration and applause.

Hole too big: Large (wide) but loud jet that lets pressure dissipate before building to the point of blowing the cap off.

So, if you're STUPID enough to actually try this, start with a large hole and work your way down.

Insert all the Mythbusters disclaimers here...

I will stick with making smores..I have had my experience with glass grenades. I used to make muratic-acid bombs with glass gatorade bottles. Simple yet deadly. fill have of glass bottle with muratic acid then take tin-foil and make small strips like about the size of a stick of gum then very quickly put the strips in the bottle, put the cap on tight shake and throw very far away and get behind somehting. and whallla a glass grenade. There are still shards in certain spots on my parents fence from the first one I made. Oh and the grass will die where the muratic acid went off. Again insert Mythbuster disclaimer here:::

do NOt do this as it is very dangerous and stupid.

Edited by zonianbrat

That's great Martin :aok:

But as others have said.. pics and/or vids!

You must now drop everything and head back to the desert... this time tape it :D

Oh, I so wish I could.... :D

But that was the only "fun" weekend I could afford to schedule this fall... too many gotta do's....

Edited by mws

I will stick with making smores..I have had my experience with glass grenades. I used to make muratic-acid bombs with glass gatorade bottles. Simple yet deadly. fill have of glass bottle with muratic acid then take tin-foil and make small strips like about the size of a stick of gum then very quickly put the strips in the bottle, put the cap on tight shake and throw very far away and get behind somehting. and whallla a glass grenade. There are still shards in certain spots on my parents fence from the first one I made. Oh and the grass will die where the muratic acid went off. Again insert Mythbuster disclaimer here:::

do NOt do this as it is very dangerous and stupid.

We used to do the 2 litters with foil balls and toilet bowl cleaner (hydrochloric acid type).

Fun to watch them distend before they bang :D