Brake Pad Recommendations?

97SE

If its within your budget, get some drilled Brembo rotors and upgrade to a semi/metallic brake pad, like PBR, Hawk to name a few off the top of my head. The difference is night and day. My experience with ceramic pads, is that they don't last nearly as long and they give off a lot of dust which leave you with dirty front rims. My PBR Metalmasters are dustless and my front wheels stay clean. :)

I didn't feel that my pathy needed any more stopping power, so I just went to pep boys and had them get me the front pads listed for my model. They were pretty cheap, and work just fine for me. I figure that minimal acceleration power requires minimal stopping power :rolleyes:

because my stock brakes worked just fine, I saw no need to upgrade. I'm almost never in situations where extreme braking force is needed, I prefer to coast to stops and use a little compression braking. B)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
http://www.tirerack.com/ Affordable if you are doing it yourself.

I went with the cermaic pads and they have produced a lot less dust for me. And what dust you get comes off pretty easy.

What pads did you go with? I can get MORSE ceramics for about $46 from AutoZone...anybody ever used these? What about Raybestos Ceramics...a little more ($59)??

• 1 year later...
Howl long, or how many miles should your brakes last before it needs replacing?

drivingskid.gifdriving2.gif How hard to you use the brakes?

Pad life is so dependent on how you use them, what condition the calipers are in (ie do they stick) and what you drive through.

On my vehicles, I typically expect to get at least 60,000 - 80,000 km (40,000 - 50,000 miles) from a front set of pads. Anything less than that and I wonder what is wrong.

But other people I know barely get 20,000 km. But they drive more city miles, and run up to lights them pound on the brakes. I look ahead and try to back off the gas long before a stop sign/red light. Saves gas as a bonus. banana.gif

I have 111,000 miles on the original rear drums and pads. New front pads at 85,000 miles, original rotors. I don't tow, and obviously I'm real easy on brakes. Whenever they go, I'll just replace with Nissan parts.

When I had my Sentra I replaced the front's w/ some cheap-o Muffler/Brake shop $99 bargain pads and will never do it again. They were semi-metallic and sounded like @!*% when stepping on them. I too don't see the need to upgrade to anything expensive, as 90% of my driving is highway driving, but at the very least I'll go w/ OEM.

Also, I have never replaced front pads myself (I know, flame away!) and will probably be doing it soon. Any suggestions or tips for things to look out for?