Pathy out of Comission!

94 Pathy

:sniff: :sniff:

I hope there are others out there that can feel my pain? I was driving to work yesturday and my Pathy began pulling to the right REALLY BAD! I pulled into the next parking lot and got out to take a look. What do you know, the passenger's front shock was busted in half. :shrug: So, I decided to turn around and head right back to the house. Getting off the busy street onto the side streets. Turn the corner and the nose of the Pathy drops! :eek: :eek: What in the H3LL? I pull it into the nearest driveway and stop. The front passengers tire is now under the Pathy. :eek: :furious: :oops:

The bolts holdingthe UCA popped completely. Never saw that before! So, I just got done taking pic's, so I'll be posting later. Couldn't of happen at a worse time and a worse place. Lifted JEEPS all around. I do have to say, I was getting quite a bit of compliments on the Pathy. Some guys were talking about switching over to a Pathy. I hope I haven't changed thier minds. Should be getting it towed Mon. and getting it fixed. Hope it doesn't cost too much $$$$$$$.

I'll keep you all posted! :beer:

I just had a problem with one of my UCA's. one bolt snapped off in the frame when I tried to back it out....was seized BAD. I ended up drilling out both holes, installing heli-coils, and new bolts. Ended up using a 9/16" bolt....Solid as a rock now.

The important thing is that you are OK!

Second is that it didn't flip and total the Pathy.

Now I climb on the engineering soap box:

Looking at the photos, it looks like classic "overtorqued" bolts. Those of you who have been around awhile know how much I preach about the need to use torque wrenches. This is exactly why. Tighten too much, and the bolt will be weakened and much more prone to fail.

Make sure you replace the driver's side as well. If they were torqued the same amount as the passenger, they are equally at risk.

The important thing is that you are OK!

Second is that it didn't flip and total the Pathy.

Now I climb on the engineering soap box:

Looking at the photos, it looks like classic "overtorqued" bolts. Those of you who have been around awhile know how much I preach about the need to use torque wrenches. This is exactly why. Tighten too much, and the bolt will be weakened and much more prone to fail.

Make sure you replace the driver's side as well. If they were torqued the same amount as the passenger, they are equally at risk.

x2 ^^^^^^

However MWS, i think it wasn't tight engough, If you look at the contact surface its shiney. This to me indicates movement. Then the "untorqued bolts were carrying the load instead of bolts + Surface friction.

If The bolts were over torqued, and just snapped when they pass yeild it wouldn't have such a polished finish, but rather a dull finish, with some scratch marks. (minor oxidation between the two parts)

However with such a small pic and no close up, its hard to say for sure.

This from the guy who gets to tell the engineers they are wrong. :D:D:shrug:

Hmmm.... you may be right. As you say, the pictures are kind of small. I was assuming the "shininess" (kids, don't use words like this at home. I am a professional....) was due to the surface under the shims being cleaner than the surrounding metal.

And good engineers have no problem being told they're wrong when they are.

And good engineers have no problem being told they're wrong when they are.

OMG.. i think thats the 3rd time in my life i've ever heard that..lol

just playing man. :beer:

It looks like it shouldn't be too hard to fix, if you don't have the tools to drill and easy out the broken bolts, sometimes you can get on the edge and drive it arouind with a punch and / or Chisel and hammer.

Thanks guys! Yeah, I'm known to tighten things too tight. My father-in-law calls me "The Muscle Ape" of the family. Believe me, I've learned my lesson after all this. I'll find out tomorrow on what all it's going to take and how much $$$$$ I'm going to be set back. :oops:

Live and Learn!

Yes, I do have a torque wrench, but thought a socket ratchet would work just fine....The guy at the shop also mentioned that loosing some shims from the alignment made things loose also which could've been a factor also. Bolt wasn't tight enough....I know Iknow, weak excuse, but it makes me feel alittle better.

That, my friend, is the kind of attitude that will get you anywhere in life! I have LIVED and LEARNED so, so, soooo many things over the years! We all goof up, it's those of us who can laugh and learn that keep progressing!

So it sounds like 87 was right in that too loose was the root cause?

Then I suspect the broken off bolts will NOT be that difficult to remove. How long have they been in there? I'm guessing less than a couple years? If so, there is really no reason for the threads to be bound up much at all. Start drilling through the center with a largish (like 5/16" or so - a bit smaller than the bolt) LEFT HAND flute drill and I bet they'll back out before you even drill through.

So if you have access to a center punch, hammer, and a reversible 3/8" or 1/2" drive drill, all it will cost you is a left hand twist drill bit, two replacement bolts, and a shock.

And I have an RS5000 sitting on a shelf if you want it... Pay shipping from zip 95973 and it's yours.

:bow:

I appreciate the offer and imput, but it needs to be done NOW, and I don't have the time right now.....that is why it is already at the shop and should be done tomorrow. I know what to do and how to do, but no time. Work has me by the A$$ right now. Wifey gets to drive me to work and pick me :laugh: up after getting the kids. :cool2: Saving on the gas also. Gotta love those New Altimas.

Who intsalled the Calmini's and who did the Alignment... How long ago??

Im trying to figure out if there were any indicators prior to losing the wheel?

And good engineers have no problem being told they're wrong when they are

Except when being told they are wrong by someone that does not have a degree... I know several that will swear up and down they have never been wrong... then come over and redline a drawing or change a test proceedure.....

Ahh... those would not be what I call "good" engineers. Those would be what I classify in the arrogant p-ricks category!

Good engineers know that degrees are not required to be knowledgeble, intelligent, or wise. I learn something new every day. And usually NOT from other engineers! An expert is an expert, regardless of formal education. :aok:

:clap:

I have to ask why you didn't stop driving or at least throughly inspect things when you saw you had a broken shock ?

Hopefully it's an easy fix and the spindle or other components didn't get tweaked. They are not really designed to take load from that direction... :unsure:

B

Ahh... those would not be what I call "good" engineers. Those would be what I classify in the arrogant p-ricks category!

Good engineers know that degrees are not required to be knowledgeble, intelligent, or wise. I learn something new every day. And usually NOT from other engineers! An expert is an expert, regardless of formal education. :aok:

I'm starting to like you more and more! :beer:

I installed the CALMINI LIft. Had a local tire shop do the alignment. I was only three blocks away from home, so I thought I could creap it home into the drive and fix things myself. If you want to call me a dumb a$$ go right ahead. I never said I was the smartest individual and no engineer.

-bounce- -bounce- Going to get bolts at the local hardware store for the UCA's tomorrow. New Rancho 5000's and an alignment. sly Not too shabby! Better than what I thought. :idea: Even double checking all the other bolts for the correct torque. Should be on the road tomorrow afternoon. :aok:

94... That really sucks, but it is good news that you are ok and that she will be on the road again :aok:

Even better that you (and hopefully the rest of us) learned something from this -thnkboutit-

MWS... your my kind of engineer :clap:

87... as always :aok: