i got F-ed at work too

mattd123

Well im 18 and i went to a tech school for baking and pastry. instead of reglar high school. so i had a week of classes then a week of pastry. next year im off to road island to attend jhonson and wales to get my assosiate in baking and pastry arts.

so now to what happens.

I am basiclt the bakery b**ch and do allite of every thing i bake and decorate cakes and

ive gotten fairly good. I am a part time employee and get no benefits. the cake decorater when on vacation and i got stuck working 50 hours a week. i need the money for school so i cant quit or say no, i just have to take it, working 10 hours a day is killing me. I had mono at the beggining of the year and it has really changed my life. Im always tired and sleep almost every day for 4 hours in the after noon. man i feel bad for the guys who have to do this all the time

man i feel bad for the guys who have to do this all the time

Yet you still plan to go to school to be one of those guys :laugh:

If it's something you want to do, getting all those hours should be a win/win, more money and more experience :aok:

yes.. 10 hr days do suck.. try it in 115 degree weather underneath and inside trucks all day........ mmmm ....... joy. and i get paid sh!t........ but i enjoy it ..... unfortunately for me....lol

just think of the fat pay check you'll get when the person on vaca comes back.. AND.. working an 8 hr day will be a breeze ;)

working 10 hours a day is killing me.

As i do feel for you.

BWAAHAAHAAHAa 10 hours a day.. young fellow you had better get used to it.

My most worked time last year was 360 hours in 5 weeks.

12-14 hour days are the norm for me

Maybe I missed something here, but wny is your Boss a jacka$$ for going on vacation? Isn't he/she entitled to it? I mean, if it were right smack dab in the middle of Labor Day/Memorial Day/some holiday time when there were a million things to do, I could see it as being totally crass and rude to do. Being a Baker/Cake Decorator/ etc. is a very demanding job that requires a lot of time, determination and attention to detail. If there's a bazillion cake orders to do, guess what, your screwed with a capital S. If there's none, or no bake to, you don't get paid. Simple as that. But otherwise............maybe I missed the boat or something :shrug:

BTW, 50 hrs DOES suck, but 68 is worse :D (I too work in a Bakery...well, Deli/Bakery in a supermarket who's Deli/Bake did $1.8 million in sales for fiscal year '05...I feel your pain man :aok: )

Edited by navygz19

Yep 10 hours a day doesn't leave too much time for having a life... The mono is probably what is making it harder for you though. Hang in there and get better, you actually get used to the hours. (types this from work on a saturday as I cross the 50 hour mark*

I'm in the odd position where I am a 1 man department and the only person in the company who can do my job. If I don't keep up (or screw up) the molds dont run... It can get pretty tough sometimes... :unsure:

B

no the boss isnt on vaca he is just a **** he didnt ask if i would workk overtime and he treats every one very unfairly. hes not the average boss he is worse ive worked plent off jobs and this guy is just mean. but its okay i have become alot better and decorating cakes although i dont like it, its a usful skill

Cuz, I feel your pain. I used to have a job delivering building supplies, mainly sheet-rock to customers. NOw there is a job that sucks the royal big one. I had to work atleast 12 hour days but most likely 13 or so during the summertime. Carrying sheet-rock up and down stairs into basements and up to second and sometimes third floors if we could not use a boom-truck. Man let me tell you I had no life because I was so dead tired at teh end of a shift that all I wanted to do was sleep and rest because I knew I had to do it all over again the next day. We did not "ususally" work weekends thank god!!! This was my first job that I had to work so hard and so many hours so it kicked my A$$ for awhile but I got used to it, got pretty strong and when the paycheck came it was nice. Plus you learn to feel good about a job well done. I have not had mono either or I probably would have quit that job alot sooner. Besides when all the OT comes in remember the golden rule of making money "Pay yourself first". It'll be alll-right.. :aok: