how much oil

falconer

i go with 4 most of the time.. sometimes i leave a little (<~1/2 of a bottle) and put the bottle in the engine compartmen (left side between batt. and firewall) for future use if need would arrise. :) also not a bad idea to have a full one in there instead.

• 4 weeks later...

:eek:

Holy Sh*t! I'm glad nothing has happen to my Pathy! :shrug: I could've sworn that V6's took 5 quarts of oil. Taking in effect the little that gets into the filter. I just changed mine two days ago and put 5 quarts in. When I drained the oil and put back in the quarts for recycling purposes, I only filled three quarts. My rear seal must really leak more than I think. With putting a quart more in then needed, wouldn't you think that would make the truck run rough or something? :shrug:

Should I drain some out to be on the safe side? I figured if I end up pulling the tranny out if it goes belly up, I'll replace the rear seal then.

Yes, drain out a quart.

If you put too much in there (don't know where the limit is on a VG30), the oil pool is too high. If high enough, the spinning crank and rods splash into the pool. That causes mpg losses and heat generation. In some cases, it can even whip the oil into a foam. Oil consumption goes up.

Theoretically, it can whip up the oil enough that the oil pick up starts sucking foam and you end up with no oil pressure, but I have not personally seen it happen.

I find that if you run the larger chevy oil filter that 88 posted about awhile ago, then the truck will take 4 quarts without overfilling. :aok:

BTW is this a low amount of oil? My VW's 2.0L I4 takes almost 5 quarts :blink:

with the OFRK (relo kit) and runnin a TG8A filter i usually sling in 4 qts then run er a day then check again.... cuz during an oil change not all the oil drains from the motor ;)

Yes, drain out a quart.

If you put too much in there (don't know where the limit is on a VG30), the oil pool is too high. If high enough, the spinning crank and rods splash into the pool. That causes mpg losses and heat generation. In some cases, it can even whip the oil into a foam. Oil consumption goes up.

Theoretically, it can whip up the oil enough that the oil pick up starts sucking foam and you end up with no oil pressure, but I have not personally seen it happen.

It can also break rods, spin bearings and tweak crank shafts if there is too much oil.

BTW is this a low amount of oil? My VW's 2.0L I4 takes almost 5 quarts

No, all motors are set up differently depending on lubrication needs, performance, maintainence intervals, etc...

My Honda CBR1100 takes 3.5 qts for a 1.1 liter motor, my VW Bug takes 3.5 for a 1.6 liter motor, and a Porsche takes 9 quarts for a 2.7 liter engine...

the engine uses a lightweight aluminum cylinder block and heads and patented LOKASIL high-silicon cylinder liners that reduce friction and wear to such a level that Porsche can recommend a 15,000-mile (24,000 km) oil change interval and a 30,000-mile (48,000 km) oil filter change interval.

Just put 3.75 qts in a stock pathy and change it every 3k miles... :D

B