Hood vents

mws

Good stuff, folks! I'll be looking for MR2 and LeBaron Turbo vents....

And NACA ducts are cool...

Two main reasons for my trying to minimize water under the hood whenever possible:

- May end up in the wrong places, leading to electrical gremlins. I hate intermittent electrical problems, and will gladly invest a couple hours of prevention to avoid days of curing.... Yes, some gets in there already, but I'd prefer to add even more.

- Makes a mess! Water constantly dripping on hot engine and exhaust and evaporating will lead to build up of mineral deposits.

And of course, the thermal shock could be a problem.

I've got a pair of the turbo LeBaron louvers. They're heavy, thick plastic/ABS pieces. Been thinking about using them on the Pathy. They're pretty big, actually. *goes and measures*

14.25x9.25x8.5". Subtract about .5" for the underside lip that would go in the holes you'd have to cut. Here's a sample pic.

pathywithvents.jpg

Those Lebaron grills look like they could complement the hood rather than cheese it out.

Aaron - You've seen them up close - do you think they will look like they belong when done? And any chance you still looking to swap parts for cash?

Just thought I'd pitch in here. Back in my heep days we would go to junkyards and grab the louvers off of Z34 chevy luminas and cut little holes on the outer edge of the hood on either side. Actually dropped underhood temps 50 degrees. I don't think pathy engine bays are engineered as poorly as the grand cherokees though. Probably won't see as much of a drop.

Another trick I've seen is a small reverse mounted hood scoop on one side of the hood with a fan/shroud attached to it. That was a turbo racecar though...haha.

Edited by turbopath

A.... fan... ok, now that got me thinking.. computer fans might work.. they're (relatively) cheap, and designed for heat soak applications, run on 12v dc... fender vents + switched fans... And if you're anything like me, you've got tons of the little buggers laying around in old cases. :D

just don't get the neon lit ones.. Mr. Police Officer may not like that. P...

Looks like you can get anywhere from 30-70 cfm depending on size and speed. so it'd probably end up as one of those "uh.. ok..." kind of mods.

Do they make water proof PC fans... just in case? hmm, I think not ;)

ya, the turbo car had something like a little bitty 500cfm fan on it. (8 inch maybe?)

It was kinda ghetto. It was one of those...oh, we're running too hot so we'll fix it at the last minute kinda things.

Computer case fans won't do diddly squat for an engine bay, I don't care how many you attempt to install. The rad fan will overpower them all at idle. Simply cutting holes in the hood will do more for you.

$129 for aftermarket vents is hiiiiiigh...I'd just find some at the junkyard.

Martin: you can have these for $25 if you want 'em. That's what I paid for 'em back in the day. ;) No cracks or fractures, just need depainting and repainting.