Hood vents

mws

Another day chasing the 110 degree mark... In town driving leads to visibility problems from all the heat waves coming off the hood (OK, that's a bit of an exageration, but not bloody much....)

I have seen a couple ideas for venting the underhood area - the hinge spacers may be my best short term solution. The sailboat twist lock hatch idea is pretty slick as well, but, umm, kinda redneck looking for a DD.

But longer term, I would like to have a more "aesthetic" solution that is also relatively water resistant (ie, won't let in rain). Like a mesh grill inset or flush mounted into the hood with a labyrinth style rain seal/water diverter. Mesh is easy to find thanks to the ricers, but how to cleanly finish off the edges/seam between mesh and hood?

What ideas do you have?

Hmmm.... that may qualify as even more redneck than the sailboat covers!

But seriously though, the aerodynamics of that solution are a little iffy. And if something was to pop under there, the hood will contain most of it!

Use the Peel and stick hood vents, cut holes where you can actually make them functional, and put them backwards cowl induction style so that it doesn't let in rain when you are driving. Remove the front vents on the hood so it just leaves open holes, or put mesh in there, and let the air flow.

I've looked at those stick on vents, and have seen many installed, and they look, well, kinda cheesy to me. I'd prefer something stealthy and non-garish. Pure function with no cheesy look to it.

What I was envisioning was cutting a couple holes (like 4x6") near the back edge of the hood and inserting a piece of the mesh the ricers use in their grills - but the mesh would be mounted flush or slightly recessed below the surface of the hood. A piece of H shaped rubber trim would be slick as the gap filler, if I could find it. And then make a rain diverter/catcher attached under the hood. Basically a rearward sloping shelf attached to the firewall so any water coming through through the vent would run back to the firewall and then off to the sides where a drain would be.

My goal is to have the only thing standing proud above the surface of the hood would be a bit of the trim.

Pictures are worth a thousand words...

http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=146193&page=1

Same concept as this - mesh covered opening flush with the hood. But just a couple larger holes, and to the back edge.

It would be easy to just cut holes and bond the mesh to the underside of the the hood, but the unfinished sheetmetal edge would be rather untidy and prone to rust.

i used 3/4" aluminum spacers and longer bolts on the hood hinges. best thing about that is that in the fall/winter i can take the spacers out and put the original bolts back in and have my flush closed hood back. cost about $2 to do.

Still haven't found a source for sheet metal edge trim with an "H" profile. I guess I can use a "C" profile to finish the edge and then just glue the mesh onto the underside with silicone, but it would just be soooo slick to have the mesh held in by the trim. The glue on will look quite finished from the outside. But not so much on the inside!

umm, kinda redneck looking for a DD.

so whats wrong with that???

could u run some ducts from under the front bumper to the engine bay...maybe like brake duct coolers for stock cars but for the engine...

or maybe some small electric fans under the hood that run duct work out from under the bay...

are there any aftermarket cowl hoods?

Didn't Mr. Jim put those hood scoops on his Pathy? I was thinking about putting those on for ventilation also. Some how cut and place some type of screen/mesh in the inside of the scoops so the heat can escape. :idea: Another thing you could do is have a body shop shape and weld a cowl hood scoop for ya. :shrug:

Post pic's once you figure out what you are going and have had done. :beer:

I saw louvers on a cherokee, I thought they looked pretty good on it, don't know if there were openings on the hood though. I thought of doing something like this, but didn't want any water to get inside, since I'm going to install a one filter and try to get the most out of it by installing louvers. here's a drwaing of how it looked. btw the openings were toward the windshield.

post-1-1153889034.jpg

The Grand Cherokees with the 5.9 V8 have louvers in the hood stock, if that was what you were thinking of...

What about just plain sheetmetal louvering it in two places? Are there any local sheetmetal or body shops that might be able to cut louvers cleanly in there for a fee, perhaps? I've seen quite a few hot-rod pickups with louvered tailgates, hoods, fenders, etc. Like so:

DSC00682.jpg

Whats teh Real Downfall of having a Regular Hood scoop put in anyway.... So what If Water gets in.... It gets in during Water Crossings and its not such a big deal. Its not like Its going to effect your Plugs any worse then Completely Submersing the vehicle anyway. Or is it more of a Cold water on a Hot block sort of thing? I'm still learning, but I would think that it would be no big deal if you had a hood scoop cut in, Meshed the opening and be done with it. Explain to me some of the Pit Falls associated with that scenario. :shrug:

Dowser :oops:

only problem with out -the -fender (i thought about this) is that no air will really escape because of the rubber fender inner liner thingies........ if you run a pipe OUT past those then it will get full of water unless you face it backwards..... but then if yer flexin off road you run the risk of rippin whatever you have there ...off.

i punted around the idea of taking, and reversing (after looking at one of dave's 70's firebird hoods) those little cobra scoops...... cut out the stock grilles n install them there..... they come with the mesh in them already and do not stick up to look stupid...... just my .02 worth...... :hide: