path finder quality

mattd123

well i have driven many 4 wheel drive trucks and i must say the only one i have never got stuck in was my pathy. last winter we got 5 feet of snow over night and it was wet and heavy. I didnt shovel i open the door put it in 4 low and went through it like nothing and i was goin like 10 mph no problem. with stock height ive gone trough water upto the bumper and mud upto the doors and ive yet to get stuck. Now im no pro driver but im no ameture (sp?) ive read plenty about wheelin climbing and drifting (accidentle sliding not on purpose). i wrecked my truck once 2 years ago in the wet and since i have devoted my self to learning about the car. but knowing what i do pathfinders are very hard to get stuck or roll over . i mean in the winter i was going by landrovers stuck on hills. Sorry about that the point was why is the 4 wheel drive system on a pathy so good? anything special or is it the car overall that makes it so rugged?

believe fj is toyota...

how many of yall try to see how much u're trucks can handle in 2wd?...i always like to see what she can do in 2wd...last week when i was at cape hatteras i left her in 2wd to see how far i could get B4 she started bogging in the sand...we made it all the way out and there werent many people on the beach so i put it in 4wd b4 going cross ruts b/c i didnt wanna push my luck...but i've had it burried to the frame in 2wd and locked her in 4h and pulled right out...

i have always been impressed with their 4x4 and those who have been with me were impressed esp for stock

Edited by unccpathfinder

fj????

toyota FJ series, like land crusiers (i believe, correct me if im wrong)

and yeah i hear ya, but ive had water coming up and over my hood and breaking over the windersheild, stock

toyota FJ series, like land crusiers (i believe, correct me if im wrong)

and yeah i hear ya, but ive had water coming up and over my hood and breaking over the windersheild, stock

no, you're right.. 40 is shorty and 55 is the long one with two doors in the back that open to the sides.

and i have had water go down the air vents by the windshield but unlike headpiece my truck didn't really care for it.. it coughed and sputtered and i filled my britches.. i was in the middle of real BFE in UP of MI. wasn't my smartest move at all especially since i only saw a couple of peeps all day.. live and learn.. btw. that was in 2wd too untill i saw the water go down the vents.. it was a quick shift and pedal to the metal.. scared myself hard.. lol i may even have a blurry action shot somewhere here.. don't count on it popping up any time soon though

yeah i did a water crossing at night, the headlights were underwater, either earlier that day or the next day i did another where the hood was under, the i was playing around locally and i water shooting up over the hood covering the window, i had to keep the whipers on

oh and as for 2wd, theres a jeep around that thinks he hot, long story short theres a fewe places where im the only vehicle thats ever made or tried to make, and it was in 2wd

Edited by FLApathy

Nissan 4X4's are sweet....I've experienced my 95 Pathy and my buddies 97 P/U and his 2006 Titan with an off-road package and all three have rocked it...

Another friend has an 84 Land Cruiser, which is also unstopable...

FJ is Toyota's code for the Land Cruiser....like our WD21...all cruisers are fj's...

The FJ40 was the first one (the jeepish lookin one) and they go up from there...My buddies 84 is an FJ60 (looks like a huge pathy kinda), i think they are FJ120 now and they have the little new one that's just called and FJ - (not a Land Cruiser though?)

:blink:

I used to take the pathy off-roadin every weekend before it died....

had mud up to the windows, drove through a pond up to the door handles, and many hill climbs

moral of the story: I've only used 4WD twice on all my local trails, and once I wouldnt have needed to switch to 4WD if I had a little more speed

Overall just a good (but underrated) 'wheeler

I have a 97 pathy too and I am very impressed with it's off-road performance. I have not taken it into any rivers that gu over the hood yet as I am afraid of sucking water intot the intake. Although I have hit some pretty serious mud and ruts and have not been stuck yet. Most of the wheelin I do is up in the rocky mountians on mountain trails, 4x4trails and forrestry roads. These offer a combination of small boulders, mud, hill climbs, rock gardens... all around fun wheelin and I always see how far I can get in 2wd before I put it into 4wd. I am impressed with how far she can go sometimes in 2wd. Heck there has been a couple of times that I was climbing on a loose rock steep hill and had to put it into 2wd from 4wd because in 4wdHi the loose rocks made it so I had 4 wheels spinning so I popped it back into 2 wd and up she went. I suppose I could have put it into 4wd low but I have only used it once and it seems to grind alot when I try to put it into 4lo. Sorry about the rant.

Shhhhh.... sssh It's our little secret!

If the word gets out how incredibly capable and reliable these things really are, it will be that much harder for me to score $500 trucks for my nephew's kids to drive to/in college!

hmmm.... I ohmost got a FJ60 over my first pathy when was looking... it had a modified 235 (revised chevrolet engine from the 50's, bought by toyota)... it also had classicly ugly looks, but I have to admit it was a beast.... but I love my pathy...