Pop charger

mattd123

Well I went to his web site and its fairly vague. What exactly is a pop charger system. What does it do. is it worth the $160. Would this be a good place to start upgrading my engine. Im thinking about getting in addition to the springs and lift engine upgrades. I want to get intake and exhaust. a transmision cooler they do have one stock on 1997 le do they? i have some good tires waiting to go on. I love the sound of a pathy at wide open throttle with a high flow filter, you know they sound of it kicking up rocks and dirt as you tear down the track..... im heading out today for some light wheeling dont want to hurt the suspension ill come back around 8 thanks for you help. (is my puntuation better today mr. im an eglish major :P )

It's a cone style filter and tube that replaces your stock airbox and filter.

Is it worth $160? That is up to you. It may provide another HP or two, and it will definitely provide a loud intake moan at full throttle.

Some like it, some don't.

Personally, I am not a big fan of the cotton gauze "K&N" style cone filters. They allow too much dirt through and are prone to leaving a film of oil and dirt on MAF sensor elements, which causes power and mpg losses. And I don't much care for the moaning sounds. But that is MY opinion. You are entitled to yours. B)

Edited by mws

Personally, I am not a big fan of the cotton gauze "K&N" style cone filters. They allow too much dirt through and are prone to leaving a film of oil and dirt on MAF sensor elements, which causes power and mpg losses. And I don't much care for the moaning sounds. But that is MY opinion. You are entitled to yours. B)

spot on. so called 'high performance' filters MAYBE ok for on road (i'll debate that but im entited to my opinion) but off road with em - not such a good idea. they tend to let a bit a junk in to the engine.

I have a pop charger and am happy with it;I also added high flow exhaust[Dynamax} and I have noticed a definite improvement in responsiveness and milage[about + 3 mpg]I am not sure if the pop charger is any better thaen any other cone gauze filter but it does have more surface area then the K&N. I have been off road with it for 2 years now in the S.CAl deserts and have not noticed any problem w ith the filter fouling from the dust.

It's essentially just a cone filter, with a tube, that replaces your stock air box?

What about those bags that go over K&Ns, to keep water out or something... would those reduce the amount of particulate matter let into the engine?

And what is this sound you speak of.. is it like a whistle? Turbo style? A buddy of mine with a newer Silverado has a TB spacer and cone filter, and it whistles like a turbo... I want that sounddd..

Hey, Grim.. think you could get a picture of your home-made one?

Thanks

Edit: nevermind about the sound.. I overlooked that in mws post...

Edited by ILoveMyPatty

What about those bags that go over K&Ns, to keep water out or something... would those reduce the amount of particulate matter let into the engine?

i bet a vacuum catch bag would do the same

i don't think they're meant for people crossing rivers though

Edited by skrillaguerilla

I have a JWT on my 95, I know it is breathing better than the stock box. I still need to do some Thorleys and Exhaust. Not until I am done with the 91 which has Thorleys and the stock Box. Once the motor is all done I will swap them for a couple of days to play on the Pavement.

Yes there is data on how Cotton Oil filter will foul MAF's and allow more particels into the Engine.

I see it as a personal choice.

I just bought a k&N filter from max and so far I am happy with it. I think it has a little bit better throttle response. My pathy is mostly a pavement pounder these days. :sniff: I have kept the old airbox though and will switch it out when i go get to go wheelin. I sure would like to do the flowmaster exhaust system but I heard it is atleast 500 bucks!! And I do not think that even comes with headers. So does not look like that is in my immediate future. :(

I have a pop charger and am happy with it;I also added high flow exhaust[Dynamax} and I have noticed a definite improvement in responsiveness and milage[about + 3 mpg]I am not sure if the pop charger is any better thaen any other cone gauze filter but it does have more surface area then the K&N. I have been off road with it for 2 years now in the S.CAl deserts and have not noticed any problem w ith the filter fouling from the dust.

I, too, have felt a slight increase in response with the addition of high flow filters. But how much is real and how much is due to the noise is an unknown.

And it will take a very long time for the K&N to clog with dust. Unfortunately, that is because it is letting so much through!

After 25 years of playing with K&N's, Uni's, No-Toils, and ALL KINDS of paper filters for a multitude of vehicles in the pursuit of just a few more horsepower, here is my opinion:

If I want/need the engine to last more than 50K miles: High quality paper filters, and only paper filters and change frequently. I have found if you buy the high end filters (Nissan, Delco, Bosch, Mahle, et al) the difference in flow compared to cotton gauze is borderline imperceptible. If you buy the cheapos, they are notably more restrictive. K&N uses those in their marketing literature and you can see the difference.

And then I spend time cleaning up the air intake path to allow more flow to the filter. I have always found enlarging the pre-filter air supply WILL give noticable improvements - but with no risk to the engine since the effective filter is still there. I usually just add a secondary (fresh and cold) air duct leading to the plenum in front of the filter.

If I'd rather have the last HP or two and don't care how long the engine lasts, then I'll add a K&N.

Swapping the exhaust WILL have an immediate impact on response, fuel economy, and midrange/top end power with much less risk of shortening engine life.

I had a 2.5" system put in the '88 last week. Very noticeable.

Here's what I'm talking about on adding an additional fresh air duct.

This is on our BMW. The duct on the left is the stock one. The one on the right is the one I added. The difference was VERY noticable. Unfortunately, it was also accompanied with a bit more of the moan...

That is because stock systems are designed to minimize noise. They do so, but it usually does add restriction.

Results: Impromtu playing with another near identical car (same engine, same Bosal exhaust) with a cone filter resulted in him throwing away the cone filter and re-installing the stock air filter box with a second intake. In acceleration and roll on tests, there was NO repeatable difference between the two systems. The only differences were in noise level and amount of dirt passed.

post-1-1153499055.jpg

Well all three of my company trucks use K&N filters. The 2004 is at 60,000 miles the 2003 is at 140,000 miles, and the 99 is at 292,000 (all have original engine and transmission) and all three trucks spend alot of time on dirt roads atleast 30-35% of the time. And no problems so I will stick with what works. and if it helping with any HP and gas mileage----***bonus**** -thnkboutit-

I had my exhaust done for $180 not including the muffler for all custom piping. The muffler cost me $20 on eBay.

Oh I see. I just went off of what a couple people in this forum said they have paid for their exhaust. I have not personally gotten a quote, maybe I will here soon. Sounds like you got a hell of a good deal vengeful.

Oh your right it was for stainless. I should do more research before I blurt out. sorry.

Oh vengeful did you need your whole system replaced or did you just go with a bigger diameter pipe and muffler for simply better exhaust?

Edited by zonianbrat

So what I gather, there's absolutely no way to get more power at the intake without sucking in more dirt. I realize that to get more power you need to suck in more air, but with the K&Ns and the likes, is it the fact that there is more surface area? Or are they more porous?