How to properly shift your t-case...

Pathfinder-jay

While you can switch into 4hi at low speeds (under 25mph) I would not recommend it, the transfer case will make many angry noises at you. Also that's how my dad destroyed the front diff in his old S10. Best to stop completly then shift into 4 hi then continue driving.

it really shouldn't make any noise in the T-case at all... did you have Manual hubs, or Auto's? mine's never made any noise what so ever, and infact... occasionally when i stopped completly to put it in 4wd, and I was on a hill or something, the hubs would clunk pretty darn good when they finally locked.

S10's have drive flanges, not hubs. Pathfinders have hubs. It is safe to shift into 4HI up to 45 MPH AFAIK, done it before on the beach. 4LO requires stopping and putting the trans into neutral first.

Just checked the card behind the driver's side visor in my 94. "Shifting from 2wd to 4wdH must be done at speeds below 25MPH." I've shifted on the fly only like twice though. I've never found a situation where it wouldn't be a problem to just pull over for a quick sec to shift, both for safety (fumbling with that short bastard down by the floor) and a "just in case" attitude.

I maintain my position that its best to stop and shift, don't need any more wear on the drivetrain than it already has what with 207k miles on my 88.

And BTW 88 you are crazy! :P Shifting on the fly at 45! Was that from your famous photo of you getting airborne off a dune?

I maintain my position that its best to stop and shift, don't need any more wear on the drivetrain than it already has what with 207k miles on my 88.

And BTW 88 you are crazy! :P Shifting on the fly at 45! Was that from your famous photo of you getting airborne off a dune?

sly What he said /\

On my 87 with manual hubs, if the hubs were locked, i could shift into 4 high up to about 50mph with no issues. on my 2000 frontier with auto hubs anything over about 20 mph made griding sounds in the xfer case. i belive this is due to the auto hubs not being engaged and the gears trying to mesh with a non turning gear. But on the manual hubs the front drive line is actually turning same speed as the rear thus, the gears are tuning the same speed.

Make your own conclusion

On my 87 with manual hubs, if the hubs were locked, i could shift into 4 high up to about 50mph with no issues. on my 2000 frontier with auto hubs anything over about 20 mph made griding sounds in the xfer case. i belive this is due to the auto hubs not being engaged and the gears trying to mesh with a non turning gear.  But on the manual hubs the front drive line is actually turning same speed as the rear thus, the gears are tuning the same speed.

Make your own conclusion

I can second that... my yota has manual hubs and I can shift to 4HI at basically any speed IF AND WHEN the manual hubs are locked in. The Pathy with auto hubs however cannot be done at higher speeds

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

moving from my f150 4x4 to my pathy. there isnt a chance in hell i'm gunna shift on the fly. old habits die hard and if you value your 4wd in your ford you dont do it. i'll take the safe route with my pathy. even stopped (my f150) it give a good jerk when going into 4Lo.