Gas Tank Size

Bubbley11

Not just the weight, but the size of the boxes as well. The 94-95 is almost 3" more in the first dimension. A US gallon is defined as 231 cubic inches. Assuming a tank dimension of 20x30" with an additional 2" of depth, this equals 1200ci, divided by 231 gives you 5.19 US gallons, the missing 5 gallons. I'd bet the 80L (21ish US gallon) tank is:

V6 94-95 P/N17202-61G00

16x27x37 inches 35 LBS

Again, this is assuming the same foot print/mounting features for the tanks (boxes are roughly within 1" in these dimensions).

B

Interesting... I know for a fact my '88 has a 21 gallon tank and so did my '87. This tank size issue must only be for replacements? Rob in the post from you earlier that you quoted to add the new shipping dimensions, you said the supersceded '94-'95 tank was a 15gal. But now, it comes in the largest and heaviest package? Doesn't make sense... especially since B just did the math on it.

I can't say with absolute certainty as I am extrapolating but yes, if it was for me, I would consider the 94-95 V6 to be the best bet to be the large tank, not to mention the newest and hopefully the best condition.

B

I have seen a lot of wd21s,and they have all had the same looking tank as mine.

I found the dimensions of the replacement tank I bought:

spectra premium tank: 34-3/8" x 20-3/4" x 11-3/4"

I'll measure my factory one that's in the scrap pile tomorrow when I get home.

I just put 70 liters of gas in it yesterday, that is where the pump stopped at. I am sure the after market ones are labeled wrong.

Edited by adamzan

Interesting... I know for a fact my '88 has a 21 gallon tank and so did my '87. This tank size issue must only be for replacements? Rob in the post from you earlier that you quoted to add the new shipping dimensions, you said the supersceded '94-'95 tank was a 15gal. But now, it comes in the largest and heaviest package? Doesn't make sense... especially since B just did the math on it.

Yeah I know it maybe a catalogue error. The 94-95 is the only one that shows a capacity in the book and it says 15gal, but it doesnt add up as many have pointed out as we put more than 15 in them :)

And it is the larger of the V6 tanks in size and weight.

I have a brand new (off-brand) tank sitting in my garage, and a leaky stock (AFAIK) one in my Pathy... which I hope to get around to this weekend. If I do I'll do a ghetto volume test with a measuring cup or something. Or just measure the gas I put back in the new one, and add what it takes to fill 'er up... one way or the other I'll try and bring some numbers to this.

Looks like the 15 gal thing is indeed a typo. :wiggle:

I had a two gallon, 8 ounce fuel can, which I filled with water and poured into the tank ten and about a half times until the water level reached the fuel pump hole. (I saran wrapped over the fuel filler.) That works out to just over 21 gallons, which I imagine the displacement of the fuel pump cuts into just a little, putting it pretty close to 21 gallons even. The tank's from theradiatorconnection on eBay, and the box said Wiggley's. The listed dimensions are 34-3/8 x 20-3/4 x 11-3/4, it said it was for any Pathy from 87 to 95, and the listing rated it at 15 gallons. (I payed about $145 shipped.)

On a related note, anyone have a recommended method for drying out a gas tank?

Well im going to drop mine agian in a bit, since the bolts suck. Ill try and fill it with water ,after the gas is out, and see then if its the fuel pump or the tank.

now im confused lol. see i always thought all the pathys ive had (87,88, and 89) were 20 gals, now the other day i was just getting to the E line and when i filled up it only took like 16.3 gals. so does this mean i have about 4 gals left as kind of a reserve or was i about to run out? Cause i was leaning towards that fact that if i remember correctly (i try not to get low on fuel) that i can keep driving past the E line for awhile. how far will the gauge go before you run out?

I tried to run mine out once and I was surprised at how far it went. The fuel gauge jumped around a little and the low fuel light came on now and then but IIRC I drove it for a week or so like that (I had a short commute). Then one day the engine stalled out because the fuel pump had (according to the shop that cleaned it out) ingested too much crud from the tank and gotten all gummed up inside.

There isn't a low point in the tank where the pump mounts, and with the baffle plate that goes around it, it's not even up against the bottom. I dunno if that's for ease of construction or passive defense against sediment, but there's no way to completely empty the tank with the fuel pump.

My original 94 tank had no "crud" in it at all. The screen on the end of the fuel pump was pretty clean, the only thing I found on it were what looked like dog hairs :wtf: The tank also had this big plastic thing floating in it. No idea what it was for, didn't put it in the new tank.

my 87 SE had a 20ish gallons and my 90 XE 16ish gallons, my 90 XE has low fuel light but has never turned on and my fuel gauge is really strange, wont read right at times so maybe I do have a 20 gallon on my 90 also........kinda weird

Yeah, my tank had pretty much no crud in it when we dropped it. I dunno if the shop flushed it when they cleaned the pump (the tank sure hadn't been out) or if 'gunk' was the best hypothesis they could come up with when the problem solved itself.

Was the float for the gas gauge intact? It's enough of a PITA to thread in that I can imagine somebody smacking it on the baffles and not bothering to pull it out.

Edited by Slartibartfast

Filled mine up yesterday. I poured about four gallons in that I'd reclaimed from the old tank, and it took 17 at the gas station to fill it. I'd wondered if air space in the tank might make it hold less gas than it theoretically could, but it looks like nope, it takes a full 21. 18 gallons is the most I've ever put in, though, and I'd gone 290 miles on that tank.

Mine's at 17, except on long trips, where it's a little better (19 or so). Rebelord, did you mess with your speed sensor after putting the 31s on? The truck may be going a lot further than the odometer thinks it is.

I usually get 275-280 miles per tank and 17mpg. Idk how people get 21 mpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

My first Pathy (1995 XE, 31" BFG AT, 130k miles, manual) managed 21+ MPG driving from the coast, up to Lake Tahoe (7k ft) and most of the way back down with 3 people and a lot of camping gear. Blew my mind! The secret is to get it to speed (65-70mph) and keep it rolling on cruise control when ever possible.

I haven't had a chance to test my second pathy yet (1995 XE 31" BFG MT, 106k miles, auto). :shrug:

Idk how your holding 17mpg. Barely holding 14mpg here.

Sent from my Moto X!

Our R50 does quite poorly as well, around town and short trips as well. Bad enough that I stopped calculating it... :whistle:

I've run it down the interstate for hundreds of miles though, and at 75-80mph it managed 20 mpg. :shrug:

The trick is to keep her rolling! Do you have manual hubs installed? We got 1-2 mpg instantly from that...

B