Gas Tank Size

Bubbley11

I usually get 275-280 miles per tank and 17mpg. Idk how people get 21 mpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Lots of downhill driving...

I think I get horrible mileage (I haven't tried to calculate it for years now, though I have contradicting stuff going on so it probably ain't AS bad as my mind tells me it probably is) but I have no current reason to care :lol:

Seeing how most people drive these days (quick starts, passing everyone who isn't doing 20 over, always in a rush speeding like crazy) I can totally see why most people wouldn't get good mileage. Not saying any of you are like that, just how I observe people driving on a day to day basis around me.

I do what B said, get it up to speed, set the CC, and let it do its thing.

I dont daily drive on the 31" tires. I have a set of tri-spokes that I daily drive with stock tire diameter.

Pathfinder+on+hill.jpg

But, I do live in Miami. So, 99% of my driving is city type driving. Even on the highways it can be stop n go for most of it.

No, I dont try to zip around, not possible! heh.

• 4 weeks later...

I did a test because of this thread and this is what I found:

- After the low fuel light came on, I was able to drive 33.7 miles before I felt some sputtering (I never even knew I had that light until I read this thread because the gauge is on E long before that light comes on!)

- Oddly enough, this happened right next to a gas station, I filled up and it took 19.8 gallons.

I was driving around with a 5 gallon can of gas in the back, trying to get it to run dry - when I felt the sputtering and saw the gas station, I just pulled in and thought what great timing that was. Now, I'm a little suspicious about the sputtering - seems like I wasn't quite out of gas like I had thought - maybe it was crud clogging the fuel flow? I may run this test again and just keep running until it runs dry for sure so I can find out for sure... but, I worry about the sediment in the tank causing problems... any thoughts?

I have a 1995 Pathfinder SE

I did a test because of this thread and this is what I found:

- After the low fuel light came on, I was able to drive 33.7 miles before I felt some sputtering (I never even knew I had that light until I read this thread because the gauge is on E long before that light comes on!)

- Oddly enough, this happened right next to a gas station, I filled up and it took 19.8 gallons.

I was driving around with a 5 gallon can of gas in the back, trying to get it to run dry - when I felt the sputtering and saw the gas station, I just pulled in and thought what great timing that was. Now, I'm a little suspicious about the sputtering - seems like I wasn't quite out of gas like I had thought - maybe it was crud clogging the fuel flow? I may run this test again and just keep running until it runs dry for sure so I can find out for sure... but, I worry about the sediment in the tank causing problems... any thoughts?

I have a 1995 Pathfinder SE

Remember, you risk overheating your fuel pump as well, it is the gas that cools it. I would consider your test conclusive and move on. I'm not sure about the sediment as I'm not familiar with the shape inside of the tank, and besides, that is what the fuel filter is for. ;)

While it can be nice to know how far you can go, unless I'm on a trip or have no choice, I just fill it back up at 1/4 tank. Less sticker shock and that way in case of an emergency, I always have at least a 1/4 tank of gas.

B

• Like 1

I'm not really sure where this "crud in the tank" thing comes from, but it's largely false. In one day I removed 5 fuel pumps from Pathfinders trying to take the one I thought looked the best for my own truck after the salt incident, and not one tank had any type of sediment in the bottom of it. The bottom of the tank has channels were fuel might sit and isn't allowed to get in to the bowl type area that surrounds the pumps sock filter unless you take corners pretty hard so the sputtering you encountered was in fact no fuel.

• Like 1

I'm not really sure where this "crud in the tank" thing comes from, but it's largely false. In one day I removed 5 fuel pumps from Pathfinders trying to take the one I thought looked the best for my own truck after the salt incident, and not one tank had any type of sediment in the bottom of it. The bottom of the tank has channels were fuel might sit and isn't allowed to get in to the bowl type area that surrounds the pumps sock filter unless you take corners pretty hard so the sputtering you encountered was in fact no fuel.

Ever cut open a fuel filter?

Ever cut open a fuel filter?

Maybe.

TYGC3yy.jpg

cx6XZAv.jpg

hNiLIzn.jpg

OxRpZKg.jpg

Granted this was an extreme case that involved a pound of table salt. But trucks in the junkyard, and you know they're there because they were neglected, had no sediment in the tank.

Agreed. I've taken a few tanks out, including the one in my current truck and none had anything in the bottom. The "sock" or whatever it is on the pump was fairly clean on mine as well, there was actually a few dog hairs on it, how ever that got in there I don't know. But there was no sediment in the tank at all and by the looks of the bolts and build up on the edges, that tank was never pulled before.

I will be changing my fuel filter soon and will post pics.

I'd beg to differ, but since I have no pictures, it doesn't mean much.

I'm sure the vehicles you have listed in your signature, excluding the Pathfinder, had stuff in the tank, but only due to age. Since Pathfinders are still relatively current and much more strict in build quality that nothing but fuel gets in to the tank unless the operator is careless, like adamzan's dog hairs (WTF?). Stuff just requires too much precision to run correctly for manufacturers to let something as volatile and necessary as fuel to get dirty. It's a pain in the ass to pull a fuel pump on a Pathfinder and drop the tank to be required to clean it.

I'm sure the vehicles you have listed in your signature, excluding the Pathfinder, had stuff in the tank, but only due to age. Since Pathfinders are still relatively current and much more strict in build quality that nothing but fuel gets in to the tank unless the operator is careless, like adamzan's dog hairs (WTF?). Stuff just requires too much precision to run correctly for manufacturers to let something as volatile and necessary as fuel to get dirty. It's a pain in the ass to pull a fuel pump on a Pathfinder and drop the tank to be required to clean it.

Jeep had new fuel pump, tank and lines about 4k miles ago.

About 3k miles after all that was installed, I changed the filter and found a ton of garbage in it. I'm pretty sure my fuel pressure actually went up after a new filter was installed.

Remember, you risk overheating your fuel pump as well, it is the gas that cools it. I would consider your test conclusive and move on. I'm not sure about the sediment as I'm not familiar with the shape inside of the tank, and besides, that is what the fuel filter is for. ;)

While it can be nice to know how far you can go, unless I'm on a trip or have no choice, I just fill it back up at 1/4 tank. Less sticker shock and that way in case of an emergency, I always have at least a 1/4 tank of gas.

B

Good point, I hadn't even thought about overheating the fuel pump!! Going to call it good!

• 1 year later...

Sorry to revive an old thread, but did anybody come up with a way to visibly tell the difference between a 15-gal and a 20/21-gal tank? The owner's manual shows my 94 as supposedly having a 21-gal tank, but i have NEVER been able to put more than 13 gallons in it after driving on E for a day or so! I'd like to know if any junkyard tanks I pull (or order) are indeed a 20+ gal model! Thanks!

RockAuto has this listing:

PLATINUM PRO FTK010142

34-3/8 x 20-3/4 x 11-3/4

and:

Fuel Capacity (g) 15 Fuel Capacity (l) 57 Fuel Tank Coating Paint Height (in) 11.75" Installation Hardware Included Lock Ring , Gasket Length (In) 34.375 Lock Ring/O Ring Yes Package Contents Fuel Tank , Lock Ring, O Ring Shell Material Steel Width (in) 20.75" Alternate/OEM Part Number(s): 1720261G00

So what you want is something way taller than 12" OR something that is more like 34" x 34"

Edited by SpecialWarr

The manual for my '96 Hardbody lists two tanks...one is 15-7/8 U.S. gallons (60L)and one at 21-1/8 U.S. gallons(80L). The larger tank came in heavy duty 2WD and 4WD King Cabs. I have a large tank that is out of the truck (in the shop storage) that would be easy to measure tomorrow, if that would help.

Edited by kdj

Ahem, that's "Precisely" the information I was looking for! Thanks!

I was trying to steer the information in the right direction, as SpecialWarr supplied so well, and jar memories as to the thread I'm thinking of.

You are welcome...

B

RockAuto has this listing:

PLATINUM PRO FTK010142

34-3/8 x 20-3/4 x 11-3/4

and:

Fuel Capacity (g) 15 Fuel Capacity (l) 57 Fuel Tank Coating Paint Height (in) 11.75" Installation Hardware Included Lock Ring , Gasket Length (In) 34.375 Lock Ring/O Ring Yes Package Contents Fuel Tank , Lock Ring, O Ring Shell Material Steel Width (in) 20.75" Alternate/OEM Part Number(s): 1720261G00

So what you want is something way taller than 12" OR something that is more like 34" x 34"

That is listed wrong. I bought one off rockauto that said 15 gallons but it turned out to be 21...And it has those dimensions. I compared it to my stock tank I took out.

Also I have seen many a wd21 pathfinder, and I have NEVER seen one with a 15 gallon tank. That would just blow having that ****** of a range...

The guy who bumped this thread, I bet your gauge is off, try bringing a jerry can with you and see how long you go.

Edited by adamzan

Thanks for the replies!

I'd like to steer away from running it to empty, reading about fuel pump failure and what not...and the fuel pump gets VERY noisy right now when the gauge gets on E...

Also, maybe the previous owner had the tank replaced before I got the truck?

I will try and measure it as best I can in-vehicle...if it turns out to be a 15-gal, and i find a 20-gal, i will try to take and post side-by-side pictures of both tanks!

Oh, right now I get aboug 240 miles on a full tank, and that's mostly city driving, no more than 60mph on the highways...